Assistance in finding a decent mattress store in the Las Vegas, NV area

Hi Everyone,

This forum is so great! I’ve been reading the help articles and increasing my mattress knowledge exponentially. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction in finding a decent mattress outlet/store here in the Las Vegas, NV area. I am located near the north side of town but I do not mind driving at all.

I have already visited Mattress Firm, Best Mattress and some smaller furniture stores on Spring Mountain but have yet to find a place with salespeople that are knowledgeable and not trying to push all the bells and whistles on me. I am just looking to purchase a solid, well constructed innerspring king mattress without getting ripped off. I was getting so frustrated and impatient, that I even thought about just purchasing one of those name brand W Hotel mattresses online. But after reading conflicting reviews I figure I would hold off and see if anyone here had any advice on where to look in town.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank You!

Hi TunaOnWhite,

I’m guessing you’ve already read this but just in case … the tutorial post here has most if the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and avoid the worst ones.

Some of the better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Las Vegas area are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for such a quick reply. I will check out some of those places that are mentioned in the post!

Cheers!

Hi Phoenix,

In my quest to find a King mattress under $1200, I had the chance to visit some of those Las Vegas Area mattress stores you referred me to. FYI, Sweet Dreams mattress is no longer operating at the current location. Their phone number is also no longer in service but their website is still up.

I managed to visit R&S mattress, Mattress Outlet USA and Furniture Markdowns. I figure I would write a review of my experience so maybe others in the Vegas area could use it.

1. R&S Mattress looks more like a mattress warehouse when you walk in. Most of the mattresses the salesman showed me were wrapped up in plastic still. So I was basically laying on plastic while trying out the mattress which I didn’t like. Even though it was a Brooklyn Bedding associated store, he was big on Sterns and Foster as far as having high quality for some reason. After reading some threads, I know that I should tend to steer away from that brand. All the BB mattresses that I tried out were also not on the BB website as they were innerspring/latex hybrids:

-Brooklyn Lila Latex Plush pillowtop
-Brooklyn Saylor Pillowtop
-Brooklyn Gracen Euro Top Plush Memory foam
-(Tried out the Sterns&Foster Estate mattress to humor the salesman)

Anyone ever heard of these?

I tried to ask for the specifications of the material and layers but the salesman said he didn’t have those at the moment. Prices were competitive but hard to know what I was getting as far a materials in the mattress. Salesman was helpful as could be but he was under the weather and on his own that day. May return to see if he has any new BB stock later next week. I know you recommended to stick with BB but do you think the mattresses that I tried out have the quality I can trust like the latex mattresses listed on their website?

1. Mattress Outlet USA no longer carries any Englander mattresses and specializes in Corsica and Sleep Inc beds. Tried out 2 Mattresses by Sleep Inc:

1)Sleep Inc. BodyComfort Good Morning (extra firm): 884 pocketed coils(queen). Edge support: 2" foam layer. Quilt: Dacron fiber layer 3/4" foam layer. Upholstery : 3/8" body cool gel lumber support. Gauges in the picture show 15.5 gauge with 14.5 gauges in between them?

884 MultiZone Pocket Coil
BodyCool Gel Support
No Turn Design Foam
Encased Edge Support
13" Thickness
10 Year Warranty

2)Sleep Inc body rhythms natural latex mattress. no specs available but on the Sleep Inc website. Actually first time trying out a Latex mattress and it was a unique feeling. It felt like it was conforming to my body nicely while on my back but still still felt pressure pushing up toward my back.

1. Furniture Markdowns currently had only 1 Diamond mattress
  1. Diamond Isabella Perfect Rest pillowtop: The pillowtop was a little bit too soft for me and I wish they had a Plush to try out. They said they could order it for me but I was tentative to pull the trigger since I didn’t know if it was smart to throw down $1000 for a bed I never tried out. Here are the specs of the Isabella according to the Diamond website.

Comfort Layer:
Layers of Eco-Flex Plant-Based Foam
Eco-Memory Foam

Support Layer:
567 Foam Encased Individually-Wrapped Coils. Made by Diamond Mattress, they don’t transfer motion and contour to the individual sleeper for a custom fit and ideal pressure relief.

Base Layer:
Orthopedic Eco-Flex Plant-Based Base Layer

Edge Support:
Foam Encased Edge Support System with Tri-Zoned Lumbar Support

Cover Fabric:
Rayon 4-Way Stretch Knit Cover

Part of me want to just go ahead and buy this mattress in the plush since this is the only mattress whose brand seems good quality according to this forum and most of the specs are on the website.

1. Corsicana Stoney Ridge Plush: this bed was actually pretty comfortable. I know Corsica is branded by Macy’s. But the materials can be of the lower end of quality according to threads on this forum? Here are the specs they had.
    630 LFK Coil Unit
    No Turn Design
    Foam Encased Edge
    Gel/Visco Comfort Layer
    14.25" Thickness
    10 Year Warranty

Would you recommend Corsicana/sleep inc mattresses at all as far as quality?

So that is my basic summary of my experience so far in the Vegas area. From what I gathered, so far it had been pretty difficult to find out the exact specs such as thickness, density and construction of mattresses here in Las Vegas from the salespeople. Just trying to compare apples to apples. What I am resorting to is basically going on name brands such as BB and Diamond that have known to have good quality and value mattresses and maybe taking my chances.

I would appreciate any other input or advice on the brands and mattresses that I mentioned that could give me more information to making a purchase. Thanks again in advance!

Hi TunaOnWhite,

I would make sure you know the specifics of any mattress you are considering before buying it because it’s the only way to identify any possible weak links in the mattress or make meaningful comparisons with other mattresses. The Brooklyn Bedding mattresses sold at their liquidation outlets are not the same as their online mattresses and I certainly wouldn’t consider a major brand either unless you are able to find out the specifics of what is inside it and the materials or the risk involved are justified by the cost.

[quote]2. Mattress Outlet USA no longer carries any Englander mattresses and specializes in Corsica and Sleep Inc beds. Tried out 2 Mattresses by Sleep Inc:

1)Sleep Inc. BodyComfort Good Morning (extra firm): 884 pocketed coils(queen). Edge support: 2" foam layer. Quilt: Dacron fiber layer 3/4" foam layer. Upholstery : 3/8" body cool gel lumber support. Gauges in the picture show 15.5 gauge with 14.5 gauges in between them?

884 MultiZone Pocket Coil
BodyCool Gel Support
No Turn Design Foam
Encased Edge Support
13" Thickness
10 Year Warranty

2)Sleep Inc body rhythms natural latex mattress. no specs available but on the Sleep Inc website. Actually first time trying out a Latex mattress and it was a unique feeling. It felt like it was conforming to my body nicely while on my back but still still felt pressure pushing up toward my back.[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up about what they carry. Sleepinc is a sister company to Corsicana and are licensees for Therapedic, Spring Air, and Englander. While testing for PPP is the most important part of a mattress purchase … the next most important part of a good value choice is making sure you know the type, thickness, and quality of all the materials and components in a mattress. Without this there is really no way to make any meaningful comments or comparisons with other mattresses. What you need is the type and thickness of all the layers and components (that should add up to close to the thickness of the mattress) from top to bottom, the density of any memory foam (or gel memory foam) or polyfoam, and the type and blend of any latex in the mattress. If it has an innerspring then even though it wouldn’t likely be the weak link of the mattress … I would want to know the type of innerspring, the coil gauge, and the number of coils.

[quote]3. Furniture Markdowns currently had only 1 Diamond mattress

1. Diamond Isabella Perfect Rest pillowtop: The pillowtop was a little bit too soft for me and I wish they had a Plush to try out. They said they could order it for me but I was tentative to pull the trigger since I didn’t know if it was smart to throw down $1000 for a bed I never tried out. Here are the specs of the Isabella according to the Diamond website.

Comfort Layer:
Layers of Eco-Flex Plant-Based Foam
Eco-Memory Foam

Support Layer:
567 Foam Encased Individually-Wrapped Coils. Made by Diamond Mattress, they don’t transfer motion and contour to the individual sleeper for a custom fit and ideal pressure relief.

Base Layer:
Orthopedic Eco-Flex Plant-Based Base Layer

Edge Support:
Foam Encased Edge Support System with Tri-Zoned Lumbar Support

Cover Fabric:
Rayon 4-Way Stretch Knit Cover

Part of me want to just go ahead and buy this mattress in the plush since this is the only mattress whose brand seems good quality according to this forum and most of the specs are on the website.[/quote]

Again … I would want to know the specifics so I could make some meaningful comparisons. They are most likely less risky in terms of making a blind purchase but I would be very cautious about making any blind purchase regardless of the manufacturer.

[quote]2) Corsicana Stoney Ridge Plush: this bed was actually pretty comfortable. I know Corsica is branded by Macy’s. But the materials can be of the lower end of quality according to threads on this forum? Here are the specs they had.
630 LFK Coil Unit
No Turn Design
Foam Encased Edge
Gel/Visco Comfort Layer
14.25" Thickness
10 Year Warranty

Would you recommend Corsicana/sleep inc mattresses at all as far as quality?[/quote]

While I don’t recommend any specific mattress anyway … I wouldn’t suggest considering any mattress where the quality of the materials is unknown.

While many of the forum lists contain “possibilities” … I would always talk to any retailer or manufacturer I was considering to make sure that they are able to find out and share the specifics of every layer in a mattress you are considering. In some cases it may take some “persuasion” for them to call their rep and find out if the information you need is available to them but unless educated consumers make sure the information is available then they will be at the mercy of “marketing stories” rather than “quality information”.

Over time … if it becomes clear through feedback such as yours that a retailer that is listed as a “possibility” isn’t willing or able to provide the information that educated consumers would need to make informed choices about any of their mattresses … they will be removed from the lists.

Unfortunately any meaningful comments I can make would depend on knowing the specifics of what is in the mattress because the name of the manufacturer is just a name on a label and has very little to do with the quality or value of any specific mattress. Outside of careful and objective testing … this is the most important part of a mattress purchase. I know that some of the other retailers will be able to provide this to you at least for some of their mattresses and I would think that R&S will be able to provide it to you for their mattresses as well but I wouldn’t consider any mattress where you weren’t able to find out the information you need.

I would personally make an online purchase from a retailer or manufacturer with good exchange or return policies before considering buying a mattress where I didn’t know what I was buying.

Phoenix