Avena vs Talalay

Can anyone shed some light on the difference between Avena and Talalay. A manufacturer that I’m interested in purchasing a mattress from has moved from using Talalay to Avena due to durability issues. The only comparison I can find is Avena’s lack of off-gassing. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi mbb, and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

Avena is a high-resiliency polyfoam introduced by Carpenter in 2010 that has ‘latex like’ qualities, and is considered a high- quality and durable foam. It’s more costly than normal polyfoam but not as expensive as higher quality memory foams or latex.

Talalay is a form of latex, considered ‘bouncier’ in feel to Dunlop latex. While Avena is meant to be more durable than other poly foams, as you can see comparing the Mattress Specifications You Need To Know to the Mattress Durability Guidelines, latex is really one of the most durable materials you can find. Also most latex doesn’t ‘off-gas’, in most cases it’s the wool, cotton, or other foam components which have a lingering odor; any smell produced by latex should dissipate in a day or two.

Like Talalay latex, Avena foam has a specific feel, which you may or may not like…any mattress that works for you will be based on your Stats (Height, BMI, sleeping position(s), and any underlying health concerns) and your PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences). If you like the feel, and the retailer has a good exchange/return policy, you might want to try it out to see how it works for you and your sleep profile.

~ Basilio

Thank you for the information @Basilio

Update: Per the manufacturer rep, Avena is easier to flip (lower weight), more breathable, not a fire hazard, and the procurement of talalay from manufacturers has been increasingly difficult due to price and availability.

Yes, I have not personally tried it out, but by all reports it seems to be a good polyfoam. Also with the fire retardant and ease of flipping - and the biggest point: the last few years has seen so many global latex supply chain issues - it speaks well to Carpenter providing a viable alternative.

~ Basilio