Avocado mattress? ... & Nest Bedding options

Thank you for the follow-up, NestBedding. The pressure-relief option with the Natural Latex Hybrid might just be the sweet spot, indeed, as our 28ILD Talalay latex hybrid mattress is a touch too firm when sleeping on our sides - and the 19ILD Talalay latex topper is too soft when sleeping on our backs.

Two questions:

1. Do you have the specs for the Medium version of the Natural Latex Hybrid? The Firm (36ILD) will likely be too firm for us as predominantly side sleepers (with some back sleeping). Additionally, the Soft version (14ILD) that Phoenix noted is probably too soft for when we sleep on our back.

2. What made you switch from Talalay latex back to Dunlop latex? I’ve heard that Talalay tends to be less dense/more supportive than the firmer Dunlop. Even with the more pressure-relieving 1.5 comfort layer, won’t the use of Dunlop latex still make the Natural Latex Hybrid a bit firm?

Thanks again for the follow-up!

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for the updates specs. Will there be a Medium version of the Natural Hybrid Latex at all, or is it only Soft and Firm?

Also, if it’s possible to respond to my inquiries in Post #29 of this thread, we’d appreciate it as well. Simply didn’t want that to get lost in the shuffle as this discussion expands.

Thank you!

Well, the beauty of my latex beds both the hybrid and the all latex over Avocado is that we have a zipper and you can change out or order any feel you want

Oh, indeed, Nest Bedding - it’s a great feature of those mattresses, for sure. That’s one of the reasons we went with your company. So far, we’ve been very pleased overall with Nest’s customer service and product quality. Your team has been great in helping us fine-tune our mattress comfort level, which the zipper cover & removable latex option make possible. We certainly are recommending your mattresses to other people when they inquire. After going through 8 other brands over the last year, we’re very happy to have found Nest Bedding. Even with the comfort adjustments, it’s still the best sleep we’ve had in over a year. Thank you for that!

I’ve looked at Avocado’s website, reviews for their mattresses, and this thread. The specifications vary among the sources. But let’s take it straight from Avocado’s website’s FAQ “updated this week”:

Does this sound right? Have they been making their mattresses softer or is this information just incorrect?

Edit: Just finished chatting with someone from Avocado – a lot of standard generic answers. I wish I would have been able to chat with someone more technical. The hardest objective answer about the layers:

More personally: I ordered an all-latex 10" Organic mattress from SleepEZ. I’m am not pleased with it and will return it. I am considering a hybrid mattress – one of them being an Avocado. Since my point of reference is the SleepEZ mattress, I’ll start here. The original top layer was 3" of soft 19-22 ILD Talalay latex, which I didn’t like; especially moving around, reading, and whatnot. The layer was strangely too soft, squishy, and weakly supportive. SleepEZ recommended switching the middle layer of 3" medium 30-32 Dunlop latex with the soft top layer. I found this too firm at the top, but too giving overall… this weird broadly lumpy feeling. I’m guessing a thinner and somewhat firmer top layer and then firming up going down would solve my dislikes. But if I’m going to stay with an all-latex mattress, I rather go with a much cheaper Sleep On Latex one.

So, the Avocado or other hybrid… I’m not sure if I like an all-latex mattress. Even with the 3" of firm 37-40 Dunlop latex at the bottom of the SleepEZ mattress, I can just sink all the way down through all the layers, if the point of pressure is small enough combined with force. I only weigh about 173 pounds. Not having the push back is odd. It doesn’t really feel right. I don’t know if with time, I’ll feel differently, but I’ve had the SleepEZ mattress for about two months now.

Do you think I would prefer either version of the Avocado mattresses (or any hybrid, for that matter) more than an all-latex mattress? Getting the true springiness and pushback from coils or have I just not tried the right latex and combinations of it?

[Please let me know if I should split this post into 2… Putting the second part in a new thread or a different thread (so many threads, so much information, so easy to get overwhelmed).]

Hi longtimematspring.

Welcome back! :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear that your current mattress is not working out for you as well as you hoped … at least you had the foresight to chose a manufacturer with a good return and exchange policy that have your best interests at heart. Generally, “theory at a distance” won’t predict how well you will sleep on a mattress or how it will “feel” when you sleep on it at home and even good guidance from a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer cannot replace your own testing and personal experience with a product as you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress.

[quote]Does this sound right? Have they been making their mattresses softer or is this information just incorrect?
Edit: Just finished chatting with someone from Avocado – a lot of standard generic answers. I wish I would have been able to chat with someone more technical.[/quote]

I’d hold off a bit until the specs are confirmed … Avocado has a bit of track record of being discussed on our forum and we’ve seen about 3 sets of specs changing in the last short wile (This is the second time their specifications changed since August last year see here}. Also one of our researchers reached out to them to get some clarification and we’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as we find out more.

Not everyone likes the feel of an All latex mattress … . While both innersprings and a firmer latex core can be used as a support layer each has very “different” characteristics but besides the more obvious ones the most important differences are the ones you can feel and that you personally prefer. Both of them come in softer or firmer versions and in many different designs so an innerspring could be firmer than a latex core or the other way around depending on the specifics of the components you are comparing. There is more detailed information about innersprings vs latex support cores in post #2 here and in Post #28 latex versus springs. Some of the more technical differences include:

[indent]
• Innersprings have a more “flat line” response curve than latex ( see the graph here ) but because there are many types of Iinnersprings with different response curves this doesn’t always hold true and there are also different types of latex which would also have different response curves.
• Innersprings absorb less energy than latex which means they are more resilient. They “push back” more strongly than latex in other words but this is not the same as softness … only about how much of the energy that is used to compress them is lost (or how high a ball will bounce when it’s dropped on them).
• Latex has a similar or higher compression modulus than most innerspring spring rates and either gets firmer with deeper compression at a similar rate as an innerspring (Talalay) or at a faster rate than an innerspring (Dunlop) which means it can be more “supportive”.
• Different innersprings have widely different abilities to take on the shape of the body (depending on the number of coils and how independently they function) while latex is much more “point elastic” than any of them because it can flex in each part of the core with less effect on the area around it than an innerspring.
• In general, latex will be more motion isolating than an innerspring.
• Firmer latex will be more durable than an innerspring but neither of them would tend to be the weak link of a mattress.[/indent]

As you already know Sleep On Latex is one of the manufacturing Trusted Members of this site and like all the members here I think very highly of and consider them to compete well with “the best” in the industry.

It is not possible to tell what you’d prefer in terms of mattress feel or what you’d need to sleep comfortably on it. Even with a detailed description of the differences you may feel with different layerings or specs and your history with a particular mattress, there are far too many variables at work … some of which are very personal and intangible in nature which is why your own research in combination with personal testing generally works best. Your own testing will also give you a much better sense of the many different types of materials and components that are used in mattresses and some reference points about the types of mattresses (see this article) and general firmness levels you tend to prefer which can help you narrow down your choices. The mattress that you currently sleep on and the one you are considering are very different designs.

Let us kow if you manage to confirm the AG specs before us
Phoenix

Simply a quick update on the Nest Hybrid Latex. Again, Nest’s Customer Service team has been great to deal with. After speaking with them about the revised Hybrid Latex lineup, it doesn’t appear that the revisions will be all that drastic, so we’re going to stick with our current Hybrid Latex version, which continues to break in nicely.

Nest is sending us a 24ILD soft Talalay latex pad to see if that provides the comfort layer that we’re looking for (soft enough for our shoulders, but supportive enough for our backs). If it’s still too soft, then we’ll likely stick with the 28ILD medium Talalay latex pad that came with the mattress.

We’re so glad that Nest included the option to swap out the latex pad within the mattress. That’s definitely been worth the price of admission for us. The longer we use this mattress, the more we like it. We’re certainly getting better sleep on this mattress - much more so than on any of the other 8 mattresses that we tried (Brentwood Home, Satvaa, Aireloom, Serta, Leesa, Intellibed, etc.).

Thank you to this site and to Nest Bedding for helping us get a good-night’s sleep again!

At the end of the day: no customer will be unhappy or I will refund your money. If there is a better material on the market, I will stop using what I am using and use that. I source latex from the best sources I can find. I use my extensive experience and build the best I can build. I don’t gouge customers, we make a good but smaller margin on our beds, back them up with warranties and guarantees to help take the guess work out, and try to make a bed that customers will love for many years to come.

curious, which saatva did you try? I had the plush soft and it was way too firm, now have the Nest luxury Contour memory foam which i think is too soft :frowning: so hoping either the new hybrid latex or another nest mattress will work…thanks!

dhunn - we tried both the Satvaa Plush Soft and the Luxury Firm. Both Satvaa mattresses were too firm for us.

If you’re looking for that sweet spot in between soft and firm, I would go with Nest’s current Hybrid Latex in the Medium version. If you think it’s too soft or firm, Nest will work with you to get the comfort level right, as you can swap out the latex within the mattress through the zip cover.

Honestly, after trying or looking at just about every mattress on the market, the Nest Hybrid Latex is the best option we’ve come across. And my sense is that any of the Trusted Members listed on this site would be solid choices, too.

Hope that helps, and happy to answer any other questions…

This thread has made me very interested in the new latex hybrid offering from Nest. Phoenix said it shipped to showrooms last week, but I am unfortunately at least 1000 miles from any of Nest’s stores. Is there any indication when the new hybrid latex mattresses will make it to the online store?

Floor displays are just starting to hit the stores and our photography is being completed by the end of the week so I’d say you’ll see them on the site by Monday

Arrgh- just lost a long post to you…so now confused as new Hybrid Latex is BLENDED Latex, vs “old” being 100%…due to scoliosis and being petite at 98 lbs, “Firm” to others is extra firm to me! I did try the latex in showroom prior to getting my current memory foam contour, and it felt very firm…Per NestBedding comments on this thread, shouldn’t the new Blended one be softer? I was ready to visit showroom today but saw huge price differential between the 2, the new one being $600 less due to Blended Latex- apparantley when new one comes in, old ones not available, so it will be a challenge, as i can’t test them both out??Any feedback welcome from you and NestBedding, thanks!!

Yes the new version is softer and more pressure relieving. I made the new Hybrid Latex to be affordable, long lasting and more pressure relieving than the traditional latex mattress.

thank you!

○ Cover is wool and organic cotton
○ 2" (D65 / 14-19 ILD, soft)100% NR Dunlop Latex ~ Euro-top layer
○ 2" (D75 / 20-25 ILD, medium)100% NR Dunlop Latex ~ comfort layer
○ 8" Leggett & Platt Quantum Edge Combi-Zone
○ 1" (denser D85 / 26-31 ILD, medium firm) core base component layer (under the spring unit)

As we are now looking for a dual sided mattress with my side mimicking the Avocado mattress, I hope someone can address a couple questions regarding their design.

1. What role does the 1" medium firm foam layer below the coils play in the mattress?
  2. If we are trying for a more plush side for my wife would this have any impact on her side of the mattress?
  3. Can you recommend any custom mattress makers that start with this L&P spring base?

Thanks

Hi Hammer,

The 1" HD foam base layer assists the design with the following:
a. Provides a solid surface that enables the pocketed coil springs to “activate” and function efficiently.
b. Helps with stabilizing the mattress from any side sway.
c. Provide a protective bottom surface that makes the mattress compatible with most types of foundation designs.

Given that the base layer’s main “role” is stabilization and that it is located the furthest away from the sleep surface this layer will not have any negative impact on the comfort or on any of the 2 the side-by-side sections of the DIY mattress that you are looking into.

This recent posting here lists some of our Trusted Members that make custom to order mattresses and ship nationwide. You may wish to look into which ones use the Quantum Edge Combi Zone from L&P that you are interested in. A couple of our members that come to mind:

• Arizona Premium Mattress assists consumers who wish to build a DIY to certain specification using the L&P Quantum ® Edge Combi-Zone with Steel Perimeter ( See here) You can also ask them directly questions in Arizona Premium Expert section our site. Ken is very knowledgeable, experienced and has great success with giving the best possible advice putting together a side by side that has good odds of coming close to the feel you are looking for.
  • I am not sure if Custom Mattress Makers is using combi zone coil system, but you may wish to give them a call to find out. I know that they are using the 8" Quantum-Bolsa, Pocketed Coil for their base Cocoa – Latex model here) for many custom design needs. As with all our members, Nick is also very customer oriented and versed in creating custom to order designs to fit most needs and preferences.

I hope this gives a few good options to get some good advice from an experienced manufacturer and to find a mattress “build” that comes close to the “two-in-one” feel that both you and your wife found most comfortable.

Phoenix.

Regarding the new Nest Bedding Hybrid Latex mattresses (Natural or Organic options) which were being discussed in this thread I noticed that they’re now pictured with additional details on their site. One policy I’ve noticed which differentiates Nest Bedding from their competitors is their unique Lifetime Comfort Guarantee. Once you purchase a Nest mattress which you decide to keep after their 100 day exchange/return period, you can later opt to purchase a new current model of your choice for 50% of its current price with an exchange of your existing mattress. This can be as your comfort needs may change or even if you later need a different size mattress, you have this half price purchase option available to you as detailed in the link provided above. That’s pretty innovative in the mattress industry! :cheer: I hadn’t seen this policy previously mentioned and thought it would be of interest to potential customers as it provides you with an option over time as your needs may change.

Hmm. The pictures are new, but the layer description doesn’t match what Phoenix or nestbedding talked about in the past couple of weeks (nor the price). Any idea why that is? Maybe the specifications on the website haven’t been updated yet?

There are online coupons to bring the price down to below Avocado. Unlike Avocado, there are different ILDs for different firmnesses since we don’t sell just one feel. We are working on the site and getting things updated. Remember it’s a small family owned company we are working with a small team (me and my son)