Avocado mattress? ... & Nest Bedding options

Thank you again, Phoenix. I simply wanted to circle back with you to see if you’ve heard anything from Nest yet. No rush - merely curious.

Much appreciated!

Hi NestHaven.

I sent Nest a reminder note.
They are very good at replying quickly, I’ll let you know of the status soon.

Phoenix

Much appreciated, Phoenix!

Hi Phoenix,

Hopefully I’m not pestering you with this. I’m assuming that Nest has delayed the rollout of their revised lineup, yes? I don’t see any updates on their website yet. No worries or rush, as I know you’re on this. Whenever you get an update from them, we’d appreciate it.

We still have about 40 days left in our 100-day trial period, so there’s time left for us to weigh our decision based on the revised lineup.

Thank you!

Hi NestHeaven,

Thanks for your patience… Good news… fresh from the “Nest”! :slight_smile:

The new lines are shipped and on their way to all showrooms. If they did not arrive, then it is expected that they’ll be in by the end of the week. While I am not sure when Nest will update their website site with the new specs, they promptly provided them for you to make sure you have all options available for testing and comparing for suitability.
Below find the soft versions that you are interested in but once they have a chance they’ll update us with the ILDs for the other firmness choices as well and I’ll return to post them here.
Note Below are updated specs as of July 13, 5:00 PM PST

NEW REWORKED Line: b NEST HYBRID LATEX NATURAL[/b] (Non-Organic)
[indent]Cover: Organic Cotton Stretch Knit Fabric / FR Material: Rayon Fiber FR
Quilt: 2" Eco Flex Memory Foam Quilting 1.5lb Density 15ILD foam
SOFT: Blended Dunlop Latex
[indent]-3" 16 ILD Blended Dunlop Latex
-2" 23 ILD
-8" CPE Steel Edge L&P ~ 660 Pocket Coil Unit
-1" 50 ILD PolyFoam @ 1.8 lb[/indent]
FIRM:
[indent]-3" 36ILD Blended Dunlop Latex
-2" 23 ILD
-1" 50 ILD PolyFoam @ 1.8 lb[/indent]
Note: Split layer for dual comfort available [/indent]

NEW REWORKED Line b NEST HYBRID LATEX ORGANIC[/b]
[indent]1" Quilted Cover: GOTS Organic Cotton Fabric / FR Material & Quilt: GOTS Certified Wool Batting
SOFT: GOLS Certified
[indent]-3" 16 ILD 100% NR Dunlop Latex (Organic)
-1" 36 ILD 100% NR Dunlop Latex (Organic)
-2" 36 ILD 100% NR Dunlop Latex (Organic)[/indent]
FIRM:
[indent]-3" 36 ILD 100% NR Dunlop Latex (Organic)
-1" 36 ILD 100% NR Dunlop Latex (Organic)
-2" 36 ILD 100% NR Dunlop Latex (Organic)[/indent]
Note: Split layer for dual comfort available[/indent]

I’d be interested to learn about your firsthand experience with the reworked lines and if these work better for you
Good luck!

Phoenix

Any pricing info? I am waiting to be notified by showroom when these will be available to try as i am exchanging Luxury Contour (memory foam) for a bit firmer Nest…,

Hi dhunn.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Here are the updated prices:

NATURAL Hybrid ~ $999 Queen ($699 for Twin)
ORGANIC Hybrid ~ $1899 Queen ($1599 for Twin)
The All Latex pricing will stay the same as with the Q3 All Latex Mattress

Phoenix

Phoenix,
What are your thoughts on these Specs versus what was being offered with Nest?? Do you see this as an improvement?

What is going to be the biggest difference in feel or quality of the organic vs the natural?

Thank you so much for those specs, Phoenix. Definitely gives us something to consider, and we hope to try out these reworked versions in their store.

Like chiefdale inquired, I’m also curious about what your thoughts are on these reworked versions. The reworked Organic Hybrid Latex version is likely a little too pricey for us (as we purchased both Queen and Full mattresses from Nest). Also, I’m thinking the 14ILD Dunlop latex is going to be too soft, since I found the 19ILD Talalay latex topper to be too soft for my back support. I’m assuming the Medium Dunlop will be similar to what we have with our current 28ILD Talalay latex mattresses, yes, as far as firmness goes (relatively speaking, of course)?

The reworked Natural Hybrid Latex might be a bit more appealing/suitable for us. Again, I don’t think we’d be able to do the 14ILD Dunlop (simply too soft). The 1.5" Eco Flex Memory Foam Quilting 1.5lb Density top layer is interesting - though I’m a little concerned about the longevity of the 1.5lb memory foam. Usually we’re looking for a 1.8lb minimum density on a top layer, no? I’m not sure if that would give out too quickly. Additionally, since I tend to sleep hot, I’m worried that the Eco Flex Memory Foam might not be cool enough for us as well (compared to the wool/cotton layer on our current mattresses).

Also, Phoenix - curious about Nest’s switch back to Dunlop latex. I know their original Hybrid Latex mattress used Dunlop, though some people found that too firm, so Nest switched to Talalay. Now, they are switching back to Dunlop. If you happen to know why they switched back to Dunlop latex, I’d be interested in that explanation, for sure.

Lastly, Phoenix, are the coils on these reworked models still the combi-zone version like the current Hybrid Latex mattress?

Dhunn - if it’s worth anything, I would suggest trying to secure the current version of Nest’s Hybrid Latex mattress if you can - either in the 28ILD Talalay latex Medium version or the firmer version. Nest accidentally shipped us a 32ILD Talalay latex on our Full mattress, which they promptly replaced with a 28ILD layer instead, and that was definitely firmer than the 28ILD layer. I think it will provide you with a nice, firmer support (though, as Phoenix says, each person’s individual experience is different). As I noted above, I’m a little hesitant with the reworked offerings - and am interested to see what Phoenix thinks of these revised specs. Hope that helps.

Thank you again, Phoenix, for securing this information!

Hi, jumping in to help shed some light.

The 1.5 is more porous and more breathable than denser foam in the quilted layer. 1.5" of foam isn’t usually an issue since its so thin, and it’s there to add a bit of comfort between the latex and your body. I did this because frankly I find a lot of people like the notion of latex but having never slept on it find its a little too firm. Of course we leave this out on the Organic version.

On the firm version of the Natural Hybrid Latex you have 3" 36 ILD Dunlop and 2" 23 ILD. All latex bed it’s 36 ILD’s on the firms as well.

I am trying to make these beds extremely competitive price-wise for customers, while also providing a comfortable and durable bed. I have been using 1.5 in quilted layer for years and have not consistently seen an issue, hence putting my money where my mouth is and saying I will replace it the lifetime of the bed.

The biggest difference in feel will be the Organic will be more of the traditional latex and wool feel, while the Natural version is more pressure relieving.

Thank you for the follow-up, NestBedding. The pressure-relief option with the Natural Latex Hybrid might just be the sweet spot, indeed, as our 28ILD Talalay latex hybrid mattress is a touch too firm when sleeping on our sides - and the 19ILD Talalay latex topper is too soft when sleeping on our backs.

Two questions:

1. Do you have the specs for the Medium version of the Natural Latex Hybrid? The Firm (36ILD) will likely be too firm for us as predominantly side sleepers (with some back sleeping). Additionally, the Soft version (14ILD) that Phoenix noted is probably too soft for when we sleep on our back.

2. What made you switch from Talalay latex back to Dunlop latex? I’ve heard that Talalay tends to be less dense/more supportive than the firmer Dunlop. Even with the more pressure-relieving 1.5 comfort layer, won’t the use of Dunlop latex still make the Natural Latex Hybrid a bit firm?

Thanks again for the follow-up!

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for the updates specs. Will there be a Medium version of the Natural Hybrid Latex at all, or is it only Soft and Firm?

Also, if it’s possible to respond to my inquiries in Post #29 of this thread, we’d appreciate it as well. Simply didn’t want that to get lost in the shuffle as this discussion expands.

Thank you!

Well, the beauty of my latex beds both the hybrid and the all latex over Avocado is that we have a zipper and you can change out or order any feel you want

Oh, indeed, Nest Bedding - it’s a great feature of those mattresses, for sure. That’s one of the reasons we went with your company. So far, we’ve been very pleased overall with Nest’s customer service and product quality. Your team has been great in helping us fine-tune our mattress comfort level, which the zipper cover & removable latex option make possible. We certainly are recommending your mattresses to other people when they inquire. After going through 8 other brands over the last year, we’re very happy to have found Nest Bedding. Even with the comfort adjustments, it’s still the best sleep we’ve had in over a year. Thank you for that!

I’ve looked at Avocado’s website, reviews for their mattresses, and this thread. The specifications vary among the sources. But let’s take it straight from Avocado’s website’s FAQ “updated this week”:

Does this sound right? Have they been making their mattresses softer or is this information just incorrect?

Edit: Just finished chatting with someone from Avocado – a lot of standard generic answers. I wish I would have been able to chat with someone more technical. The hardest objective answer about the layers:

More personally: I ordered an all-latex 10" Organic mattress from SleepEZ. I’m am not pleased with it and will return it. I am considering a hybrid mattress – one of them being an Avocado. Since my point of reference is the SleepEZ mattress, I’ll start here. The original top layer was 3" of soft 19-22 ILD Talalay latex, which I didn’t like; especially moving around, reading, and whatnot. The layer was strangely too soft, squishy, and weakly supportive. SleepEZ recommended switching the middle layer of 3" medium 30-32 Dunlop latex with the soft top layer. I found this too firm at the top, but too giving overall… this weird broadly lumpy feeling. I’m guessing a thinner and somewhat firmer top layer and then firming up going down would solve my dislikes. But if I’m going to stay with an all-latex mattress, I rather go with a much cheaper Sleep On Latex one.

So, the Avocado or other hybrid… I’m not sure if I like an all-latex mattress. Even with the 3" of firm 37-40 Dunlop latex at the bottom of the SleepEZ mattress, I can just sink all the way down through all the layers, if the point of pressure is small enough combined with force. I only weigh about 173 pounds. Not having the push back is odd. It doesn’t really feel right. I don’t know if with time, I’ll feel differently, but I’ve had the SleepEZ mattress for about two months now.

Do you think I would prefer either version of the Avocado mattresses (or any hybrid, for that matter) more than an all-latex mattress? Getting the true springiness and pushback from coils or have I just not tried the right latex and combinations of it?

[Please let me know if I should split this post into 2… Putting the second part in a new thread or a different thread (so many threads, so much information, so easy to get overwhelmed).]

Hi longtimematspring.

Welcome back! :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear that your current mattress is not working out for you as well as you hoped … at least you had the foresight to chose a manufacturer with a good return and exchange policy that have your best interests at heart. Generally, “theory at a distance” won’t predict how well you will sleep on a mattress or how it will “feel” when you sleep on it at home and even good guidance from a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer cannot replace your own testing and personal experience with a product as you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress.

[quote]Does this sound right? Have they been making their mattresses softer or is this information just incorrect?
Edit: Just finished chatting with someone from Avocado – a lot of standard generic answers. I wish I would have been able to chat with someone more technical.[/quote]

I’d hold off a bit until the specs are confirmed … Avocado has a bit of track record of being discussed on our forum and we’ve seen about 3 sets of specs changing in the last short wile (This is the second time their specifications changed since August last year see here}. Also one of our researchers reached out to them to get some clarification and we’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as we find out more.

Not everyone likes the feel of an All latex mattress … . While both innersprings and a firmer latex core can be used as a support layer each has very “different” characteristics but besides the more obvious ones the most important differences are the ones you can feel and that you personally prefer. Both of them come in softer or firmer versions and in many different designs so an innerspring could be firmer than a latex core or the other way around depending on the specifics of the components you are comparing. There is more detailed information about innersprings vs latex support cores in post #2 here and in Post #28 latex versus springs. Some of the more technical differences include:

[indent]
• Innersprings have a more “flat line” response curve than latex ( see the graph here ) but because there are many types of Iinnersprings with different response curves this doesn’t always hold true and there are also different types of latex which would also have different response curves.
• Innersprings absorb less energy than latex which means they are more resilient. They “push back” more strongly than latex in other words but this is not the same as softness … only about how much of the energy that is used to compress them is lost (or how high a ball will bounce when it’s dropped on them).
• Latex has a similar or higher compression modulus than most innerspring spring rates and either gets firmer with deeper compression at a similar rate as an innerspring (Talalay) or at a faster rate than an innerspring (Dunlop) which means it can be more “supportive”.
• Different innersprings have widely different abilities to take on the shape of the body (depending on the number of coils and how independently they function) while latex is much more “point elastic” than any of them because it can flex in each part of the core with less effect on the area around it than an innerspring.
• In general, latex will be more motion isolating than an innerspring.
• Firmer latex will be more durable than an innerspring but neither of them would tend to be the weak link of a mattress.[/indent]

As you already know Sleep On Latex is one of the manufacturing Trusted Members of this site and like all the members here I think very highly of and consider them to compete well with “the best” in the industry.

It is not possible to tell what you’d prefer in terms of mattress feel or what you’d need to sleep comfortably on it. Even with a detailed description of the differences you may feel with different layerings or specs and your history with a particular mattress, there are far too many variables at work … some of which are very personal and intangible in nature which is why your own research in combination with personal testing generally works best. Your own testing will also give you a much better sense of the many different types of materials and components that are used in mattresses and some reference points about the types of mattresses (see this article) and general firmness levels you tend to prefer which can help you narrow down your choices. The mattress that you currently sleep on and the one you are considering are very different designs.

Let us kow if you manage to confirm the AG specs before us
Phoenix

Simply a quick update on the Nest Hybrid Latex. Again, Nest’s Customer Service team has been great to deal with. After speaking with them about the revised Hybrid Latex lineup, it doesn’t appear that the revisions will be all that drastic, so we’re going to stick with our current Hybrid Latex version, which continues to break in nicely.

Nest is sending us a 24ILD soft Talalay latex pad to see if that provides the comfort layer that we’re looking for (soft enough for our shoulders, but supportive enough for our backs). If it’s still too soft, then we’ll likely stick with the 28ILD medium Talalay latex pad that came with the mattress.

We’re so glad that Nest included the option to swap out the latex pad within the mattress. That’s definitely been worth the price of admission for us. The longer we use this mattress, the more we like it. We’re certainly getting better sleep on this mattress - much more so than on any of the other 8 mattresses that we tried (Brentwood Home, Satvaa, Aireloom, Serta, Leesa, Intellibed, etc.).

Thank you to this site and to Nest Bedding for helping us get a good-night’s sleep again!

At the end of the day: no customer will be unhappy or I will refund your money. If there is a better material on the market, I will stop using what I am using and use that. I source latex from the best sources I can find. I use my extensive experience and build the best I can build. I don’t gouge customers, we make a good but smaller margin on our beds, back them up with warranties and guarantees to help take the guess work out, and try to make a bed that customers will love for many years to come.

curious, which saatva did you try? I had the plush soft and it was way too firm, now have the Nest luxury Contour memory foam which i think is too soft :frowning: so hoping either the new hybrid latex or another nest mattress will work…thanks!