Avocado mattress? ... & Nest Bedding options

Hi Phoenix,

A follow-up inquiry for you when you have a moment, please. Thank you!

Circling back on the issue we were having with our Nest Bedding Hybrid Latex mattress - pertaining to the mattress cover tear. Originally, we wanted simply to have the torn mattress cover replaced, not the entire mattress. We sent the cover back for replacement, but the manufacturer lost our cover, so a new mattress encasement was sent (entire mattress, incl. springs, without the latex insert). We kept our existing Talalay latex insert because we had already broken it in over 3 months, and didn’t want to have to go through another adjustment period.

While we appreciated Nest’s effort in replacing the mattress encasement, we were concerned about our replacement mattress being too firm. Nest informed us that “springs do not need breaking in - only the latex insert needs breaking in - and since you’re not replacing the latex, the mattress should feel like your existing one once replaced.” We hesitantly took their word for it. When we got the new mattress encasement in, our mattress was a bit firmer, but we chalked that up merely to being new, hoping that would wear off after a few days.

Unfortunately, 30 days in since we received the replacement encasement, our mattress is a good 20-30% firmer that the one that was replaced. It’s so firm that my partner is no longer able to sleep on her side anymore, and is constantly tossing and turning throughout the night. She is also now experiencing shoulder pain that wasn’t there before. And both of our lower backs have been aching/sore the past few weeks.

Based on that, I wanted to check with you on the following:

1. Do springs in fact need time to break in? Again, having swapped out our original Talalay latex insert, we were told that our mattress would feel the same. And if it’s not the springs…

2. What could be accounting for the increased firmness? Would the 1-inch layer of cotton/wool make that significant of a difference?

3. And in general, what has happened to mattresses overall in the past few years? Before this last year, I could simply walk into a store, pick out a typical mattress (usually your basic spring model), and be fine with it for years. We’ve never been through so many mattress hoops as we have in the past year or so. Getting a decent-night’s rest was never such a hassle like it’s been now. Again, simply curious if something changed throughout the industry, as we’ve been challenged like never before to find simply a decent mattress.

Thank you as always for your feedback!

Hi NestHaven.

Thanks for your followup.

NestBededing is correct, spring units do not have a break-in period, The materials and design of springs are completely different than for foam and a spring system “break-in” period is not applicable. Generally, springs do not lose height, compress, or soften with use.

All mattresses will soften slightly with use, even latex and the covering and the non-woven fabric wrapping the springs, although the amount is insignificant and will also vary based upon materials being used, the cover stretches and loosens a little and the materials settle. With a latex/spring bed most adjustment you’d tend to notice will come from the fabric covering of your mattress. If the quilting pattern and materials within the encasement are the same then the cotton-wool layer should not make a difference. You can verify if the cover/encasement is too taught by opening the cover to see if this is the main contributor. If it does not make much difference and as you already eliminated the latex as a possibility then the difference in firmness appears to be coming from the coil system used in the mattress. I suggest as usual that you contact Nest to check if that is the case.

Phoenix

Thank you for the follow-up, Phoenix. We are working with Nest Bedding to handle this issue. We appreciate your feedback as well.

Hi NestHaven

Great to hear that you are working closely with NestBeddig … as with all of the Trusted Members of the site I have no doubt that they’ll do their best to assist you. I’m looking forward to any ongoing updates you have the chance to share.

Phoenix

New to the forum here, and came across this posting on the Avocado. We purchased one recently without a pillow top and have come to the conclusion that it is not for us. I’ve been waking up with soreness in the back and around the lower rib area. They’ve been very helpful at Avocado and we’ve looked to try a couple of things. But alas, we’re at the return stage.

This sets up a new search for a mattress and I was hoping that some help could be provided by some of the experts on this forum. I’m looking at Leesa, Nectar, or Dreamcloud after some dizzying reading of reviews and opinions. My BMI is 26 and change and my wife’s is lower. I’m very much a combo sleeper (primarily back and stomach) and would love to get opinions and educated feedback.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Hi ignacio001.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear that your Avocado mattress is not a good fit for your needs. Some good local testing can give a better sense of the many different types of materials and components that are used in mattresses and some reference points about the types of mattresses ( see this article) and general firmness levels you tend to prefer which can help you narrow down your choices regardless of whether you end up purchasing locally or online.

Typically, reviews or other people’s experiences in general, won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here ), and I’d recommend to avoid considering them as a reliable indicator of the appropriateness of any particular product for your needs. You can always do a Forum Search here to find any comments and discussions about any of the beds you mentioned.

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones and learn just enough to recognize a product using better quality materials or a retailer that is knowledgeable and honest so that you may trust the information you’re presented.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While again nobody can speak to how any specific mattress will “feel” for someone else or whether it will be a good “match” in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances and you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress … outside of PPP (which is the most important part of “value”), the next most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t see or “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative to the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

Once you’ve had the chance to read through the information provided and have more specific questions then I or any of the Expert members of the site would be happy to assist you.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Simply to close the loop on this, Nest Bedding was very helpful in getting our issue resolved. While we tried to get the comfort of our mattresses right, we simply couldn’t get there as lightweight combo (side/back) sleepers. To their credit, Nest Bedding was very accommodating every step of the way in trying to dial in the comfort level that we were hoping to achieve, and even refunded us back for the mattresses when we couldn’t get situated with them. We can certainly see why they are considered a Trusted Member on this site.

For what it’s worth, we tried the Avocado mattress as well afterward, but found that to be excessively firm - even with the pillowtop option. The Dunlop latex was simply too hard, even after giving it weeks to try to break in, and the combizone coils were not a good fit for us as lightweight sleepers. It felt like we sleeping on a bent board, as the middle coil zone was just too firm & seemed to bow our backs. We never really could get comfortable with it. So, our search continues.

We did get a chance to try Nest Bedding’s new Natural Hybrid Latex (my brother has the mattress). We think Nest might have hit the nail on the head with that mattress. Much more pressure relief & comfort than what we were finding with the latex/wool combination. It felt like the traditional mattresses we grew up with - only better. The only thing we noticed was that it did sleep a little warm, but not to the point of making us sweat or being too uncomfortable. However, a cool/phase-changing pad or cover should likely alleviate that.

We do want to say hats off to Nest Bedding for their outstanding customer service, as well as their attention to detail. We get the sense that they truly care about their products and customer satisfaction - and that they listen to customer feedback. When we ordered our previous mattresses from Nest Bedding, they arrived in packaging that was a bit thin, so that the boxes were damaged when they arrived. When my brother received his new mattress, their packaging had changed - and was much stronger and solid. Also, it seems that Nest Bedding has addressed the issues that some of us lightweight sleepers were having with latex/wool mattresses (not just with them, but with other brands as well). Again, the new Natural Hybrid Latex version that they have seems to hit the sweet spot for lightweight folks like us - providing a really nice balance between pressure relief (for side sleeping) and still plenty of support (for back sleeping). Kudos, indeed.

So, we just wanted to share our experience and close out this particular leg of our mattress journey. Thank you again for the wealth of information and resources on this site. It’s truly invaluable!

Hi NestHaven,

Thanks for your kind words and for taking the time to “close the loop” on your Nest Bedding mattress purchase and add commentaries of your experience with the company. I’m excited that the mattress is working out so well for you … I thought I had an “extreme déjà vu” seeing your post…followed by relief :slight_smile: It is always nice when members return here to close the circle so that others experiencing similar issues can have some good pointers to look into. Depending on one’s level of tolerance, the mattress fine-tuning process can be as lengthy as finding a suitable mattress and I am glad that Nest Bedding worked so closely with you and I hope you’ll be experiencing a Nest Heaven sleep for many years to come.

Phoenix

Hi NestHaven and Phoenix,

I’m also very interested in the latex hybrid by Nestbedding. After reading everything I could I’ve gathered that they have changed the specs of the latex hybrid several times. Their website currently advertises and I confirmed with a customer service representative that they’ve switched back to Dunlop latex and that they completely got rid of the coil zoning except for a difference in the gauge of the coils around the perimeter of the mattress. I’m not sure if they were using memory foam in the earlier models but now they’ve included two layers of mf including the base layer below the springs. It would be interesting to know what they were using before. And finally, their coil count in the queen is 660 and 560 in the full and I believe I read somewhere that they used to be higher than that (perhaps one of you can help me here).

I’m concerned that the present construction is inferior to the prior ones based on the switch from talalay (which I know tends to be pricier) to Dunlop, the total removal of coil zoning except for perimeter zoning, the possible inclusion of cheap material for short term satisfaction at the expense of long term durability and the possible reduction in coil count.

I’m curious if you were aware of these changes and if so what your and Phoenix’s thoughts are regarding them. They seem like reductions in quality so it would also be good to know how much they were selling for before. If they aren’t lesser quality mattresses then I’m very interested in understanding the logic that justifies these changes.

Lastly, I know it’s only been a month since this post, NestHaven, but I’m curious if you’re still happy with the new latex hybrid.

Thank you in advance for your time,
John

Just my quick 2 cents: I don’t ever reduce quality in my beds, everything I build I build for the long haul as we are a long term brand. No reduction in coil count. Hope that helps.

Hi! My name is Brooke and I have worked with Nest Bedding for 5 years. I am very well aquatinted with our past Latex Hybrid model as well as the current model. Having tried both models myself I can honestly say the model we are currently creating is far more superior in comfort. The change from the Talalay from Dunlop did allow us to make our current model but did not cut down in the quality of product. Pheonix discusses the pro and cons of both latex options quite a bit on his forum and it ultimately comes down to what you prefer comfort wise. The dunlop in my option works better since it has a denser more supportive feel. That works well since we only have 3 inches of latex in this model and we need something that is going to offer a more supportive feel. The talalay latex in the older model was a softer latex, but for larger people sometimes felt a little too soft and they ended up needing something with more of a denser support. As for the coils, we did not take away from the coil count or the firmer coil edges when we changed this model. Yes, there is no longer any zoned coils, but again, I have tried both and honestly can not tell the difference between the two coil systems. If you would like, I would love to hop on the phone with you and we can chat more about options that would work best for you .

Thank you for the quick response, nestbedding.

Thank you, Brooke. I am pm’ing you my phone number.

Hi! If you would like. You can reach me at 818-459-3738.

Looking forward to chatting with you:)

Hi John,

To follow up with your inquiry, if anything, I think Nest Bedding has made an even better mattress with the current Hybrid Natural Latex model. We had the earlier version, and just couldn’t get comfortable with it. Nest Bedding was fantastic and kept trying to work with us to get the comfort & support levels right, but we couldn’t get it to work.

Now having the Hybrid Natural Latex version, it worked right out of the box - no need for adjustments. The break-in time wasn’t all that long, and we were getting the best rest we’ve had in over a year, after having tried 10 other mattress brands. No more aches/pains. No more tossing and turning. My wife, who deals with fibromyalgia, has had no issues in the current version. It’s really well made, and perfect combination of contouring and support. Our shoulders and hips feel cushioned, yet our backs feel supported as well.

If you go back in this thread to the posts from the Nest Bedding owner about why he redesigned this mattress (see around July 2018), it accurately captures the changes - and our experience with the current version matches his reasons for the redesign. The latex/wool combination of the previous mattress was too stiff for us, no matter how much we tried to adjust it. The combination of the current mattress is just right - and nothing else on the market right now has come close.

As for the coil zones, we are glad Nest Bedding did not use the combi-zone/three zone levels that some other brands are using. We tried the Avocado mattress which does use the tri-zone coils, and it was one of the most uncomfortable mattresses that we slept on. As lightweight sleepers, since the middle zone is firmer than the other two zones, it constantly felt we were being pushed too hard in the middle, like our back was bowed. With Nest Bedding’s current Hybrid Natural Latex mattress, our bodies are properly aligned and appropriately contoured.

Honestly, until we got the Hybrid Natural Latex mattress, we had sorta given up on thinking we’d find a comfortable mattress again, and had resigned ourselves to poor sleep. We’d wake up in the morning sore & tired, and got out of bed right away despite being exhausted - not wanting to suffer laying on an uncomfortable mattress any longer. Now with our Nest Bedding mattress, we wish we could stay in bed longer - and find ourselves hitting the snooze button because it’s so comfortable. It’s the mattress we wish we had found when we first replaced our old mattress a year and half ago. It would have saved us a lot of hassle.

Finally, if you have any concerns, you’re covered under Nest Bedding’s amazing warranty. If anything goes wrong, you’re covered. If it proves to be uncomfortable down the road, you’re covered. When our new Serta (from a big box store) proved to be too uncomfortable after a few months of trying to break it in last year, we were stuck with it - and lost a couple thousand dollars. And after looking at and going through just about every mattress brand out there, we can tell that Nest Bedding gets mattresses and understands what customers are looking for. Again, we’re so glad we found this mattress, and it’s the only brand we recommend at this point.

I’m happy to answer any other questions you may have. Bottom line - you’re in good hands with Nest Bedding, for sure, based on our experience…

Hammer, if you are still on this board, what did you finally end up getting that worked for both you and your wife? I’m in the same boat now (me being the lightweight, side sleeping wife). We tried a Purple 3 and just returned it after a couple months. Just like your experience with the Avocado, my husband LOVED the Purple. It was far too firm for me though, causing shoulder/hip pain. Trying to figure out where to go next. I was considering the Flexus Quadra-Flex, but it’s similar to the Avocado and so I’m worried I’d have the same experience your wife did.

If it helps, my wife and I have been having great success as lightweight/side sleepers with Nest Bedding’s Hybrid Latex mattress now going on 9 months. No shoulder/hip pains, and our backs are still properly supported. It’s the perfect balance for us, and we went through about 10 different mattresses to get here.

We definitely recommend giving the Hybrid Latex from Nest Bedding a try. Ours is the prior version with 24ILD Dunlop latex.

Hope that helps, and let us know if you need anything else. Good luck!

Thanks! I’ll check it out. I’ve also just started looking at the Luma, as it seems it could be another viable option.

Hi, I’m currently considering the Nest Hybrid Latex mattress but have a few concerns, which include the use of polyfoams (I worry about getting hot), the relatively low density foams used in three layers (1.5" 1.5 lb Eco FLex Quilting Foam, 1" 1.5lb Eco-Friendly Comfort Foam above the coils, and 1" 1.5lb Support Foam below the coils), as well as the coil specs (6" when I was thinking I’d like 8", and only 660 coils in a queen, which may still be fine, but I worry they will not be as precise in cradling/supporting different areas vs. a greater number of more narrow coils).

I have been trying to ignore the above, but I’ve read through this thread and was actually very surprised to see the old specs of prior versions of this mattress, since the prior versions used less polyfoam, taller coils, highger density foams, etc. The overall mattress was taller, yet it sounds like it was also significantly less expensive than the current mattress! If anyone is still around in this thread that is familiar with Nest beds, it’d be great to get your opinions on these more recent changes and how you feel they have affected/may have affected the overall mattress. If there are specific reasons the above changes were made, other than cost cutting, it would be very helpful to hear those as well. Thank you!

Thanks and rest assured the bed does not sleep hot, at least it’s not a complaint I get. The lower density foams are quilting foams in the top and very thin and a layer under the coils to prevent the coils from tearing the bottom fabric. You can’t use any denser foams for quilting and the foam under the coils is inconsequential to the surface or heat. Check our reviews. I’m always looking for ways to improve our beds and like the other models, it’s extremely well built and backed up with my personal guarantee