Avocado mattress? ... & Nest Bedding options

dhunn - we tried both the Satvaa Plush Soft and the Luxury Firm. Both Satvaa mattresses were too firm for us.

If you’re looking for that sweet spot in between soft and firm, I would go with Nest’s current Hybrid Latex in the Medium version. If you think it’s too soft or firm, Nest will work with you to get the comfort level right, as you can swap out the latex within the mattress through the zip cover.

Honestly, after trying or looking at just about every mattress on the market, the Nest Hybrid Latex is the best option we’ve come across. And my sense is that any of the Trusted Members listed on this site would be solid choices, too.

Hope that helps, and happy to answer any other questions…

This thread has made me very interested in the new latex hybrid offering from Nest. Phoenix said it shipped to showrooms last week, but I am unfortunately at least 1000 miles from any of Nest’s stores. Is there any indication when the new hybrid latex mattresses will make it to the online store?

Floor displays are just starting to hit the stores and our photography is being completed by the end of the week so I’d say you’ll see them on the site by Monday

Arrgh- just lost a long post to you…so now confused as new Hybrid Latex is BLENDED Latex, vs “old” being 100%…due to scoliosis and being petite at 98 lbs, “Firm” to others is extra firm to me! I did try the latex in showroom prior to getting my current memory foam contour, and it felt very firm…Per NestBedding comments on this thread, shouldn’t the new Blended one be softer? I was ready to visit showroom today but saw huge price differential between the 2, the new one being $600 less due to Blended Latex- apparantley when new one comes in, old ones not available, so it will be a challenge, as i can’t test them both out??Any feedback welcome from you and NestBedding, thanks!!

Yes the new version is softer and more pressure relieving. I made the new Hybrid Latex to be affordable, long lasting and more pressure relieving than the traditional latex mattress.

thank you!

○ Cover is wool and organic cotton
○ 2" (D65 / 14-19 ILD, soft)100% NR Dunlop Latex ~ Euro-top layer
○ 2" (D75 / 20-25 ILD, medium)100% NR Dunlop Latex ~ comfort layer
○ 8" Leggett & Platt Quantum Edge Combi-Zone
○ 1" (denser D85 / 26-31 ILD, medium firm) core base component layer (under the spring unit)

As we are now looking for a dual sided mattress with my side mimicking the Avocado mattress, I hope someone can address a couple questions regarding their design.

1. What role does the 1" medium firm foam layer below the coils play in the mattress?
  2. If we are trying for a more plush side for my wife would this have any impact on her side of the mattress?
  3. Can you recommend any custom mattress makers that start with this L&P spring base?

Thanks

Hi Hammer,

The 1" HD foam base layer assists the design with the following:
a. Provides a solid surface that enables the pocketed coil springs to “activate” and function efficiently.
b. Helps with stabilizing the mattress from any side sway.
c. Provide a protective bottom surface that makes the mattress compatible with most types of foundation designs.

Given that the base layer’s main “role” is stabilization and that it is located the furthest away from the sleep surface this layer will not have any negative impact on the comfort or on any of the 2 the side-by-side sections of the DIY mattress that you are looking into.

This recent posting here lists some of our Trusted Members that make custom to order mattresses and ship nationwide. You may wish to look into which ones use the Quantum Edge Combi Zone from L&P that you are interested in. A couple of our members that come to mind:

• Arizona Premium Mattress assists consumers who wish to build a DIY to certain specification using the L&P Quantum ® Edge Combi-Zone with Steel Perimeter ( See here) You can also ask them directly questions in Arizona Premium Expert section our site. Ken is very knowledgeable, experienced and has great success with giving the best possible advice putting together a side by side that has good odds of coming close to the feel you are looking for.
  • I am not sure if Custom Mattress Makers is using combi zone coil system, but you may wish to give them a call to find out. I know that they are using the 8" Quantum-Bolsa, Pocketed Coil for their base Cocoa – Latex model here) for many custom design needs. As with all our members, Nick is also very customer oriented and versed in creating custom to order designs to fit most needs and preferences.

I hope this gives a few good options to get some good advice from an experienced manufacturer and to find a mattress “build” that comes close to the “two-in-one” feel that both you and your wife found most comfortable.

Phoenix.

Regarding the new Nest Bedding Hybrid Latex mattresses (Natural or Organic options) which were being discussed in this thread I noticed that they’re now pictured with additional details on their site. One policy I’ve noticed which differentiates Nest Bedding from their competitors is their unique Lifetime Comfort Guarantee. Once you purchase a Nest mattress which you decide to keep after their 100 day exchange/return period, you can later opt to purchase a new current model of your choice for 50% of its current price with an exchange of your existing mattress. This can be as your comfort needs may change or even if you later need a different size mattress, you have this half price purchase option available to you as detailed in the link provided above. That’s pretty innovative in the mattress industry! :cheer: I hadn’t seen this policy previously mentioned and thought it would be of interest to potential customers as it provides you with an option over time as your needs may change.

Hmm. The pictures are new, but the layer description doesn’t match what Phoenix or nestbedding talked about in the past couple of weeks (nor the price). Any idea why that is? Maybe the specifications on the website haven’t been updated yet?

There are online coupons to bring the price down to below Avocado. Unlike Avocado, there are different ILDs for different firmnesses since we don’t sell just one feel. We are working on the site and getting things updated. Remember it’s a small family owned company we are working with a small team (me and my son)

Didn’t expect a reply so quickly! Thanks, I’ll check back tomorrow or Tuesday to see the new offerings.

My pleasure. Our all latex and hybrid latex with zipper access will come standard in three feels plus optional topper but with the zipper you have the ability to customize it with whatever ILD you’d like

Thanks will check them out!

So NestHaven and others, just thought i would update my status regarding the new Nest Hybrid Latex- the costa mesa showroom by me got the new ones in yesterday and let me know they were set up to try today- so went in and luckily, they had both the “old” and new Hybrid Latex models to test, and it turned out I prefer the prior one that is being replaced, as NestHaven said i would!! :slight_smile: The new one IS much softer, but all in all, the medium “old” one feels more supportive, has more side support, and overall has a higher end “feel”…glad i got to test out both and am starting the exchange process asap while the current model is still available!! Gotta say, this thread helped me, thanks NestHaven and nestbedding, as well as the GREAT “nestologists” at the Costa Mesa showroom, Nicole and Christopher!! Hoping this one will be JUST RIGHT!!

Thank you, dhunn! That definitely helps us out, as we haven’t had a chance to try out the new Hybrid Natural Latex just yet at their Santa Monica location (which has the new lines in stock, I believe). Your take confirms our sense of what the revised lineup would feel like. The 14ILD Dunlop latex, although listed as a Medium feel, is likely too soft for us. I know it’s not a direct comparison, but a 14ILD Dunlop latex would typically translate into a 19ILD Talalay latex, which was too soft for us when we tried the 3" 19ILD Talalay soft topper. Our backs definitely bottomed out a bit with that softness.

I think you’re gonna like the 28ILD Talalay latex (medium feel) in the prior Hybrid Latex model from Nest. I do suggest giving it a full 30-60 days, though, for it to break in. When we tried this version out at the store, the mattress felt great. When we first got our new mattress in, it felt rather firm initially. But within 30-45 days, it hit the sweet spot. Truly one of the best mattresses we’ve experienced in well over a year of trying 8 other mattress brands. Some of the best sleep we’ve had in a long, long time. We’re hooked on the latex-innerspring hybrid combination, for sure.

Can’t thank this site, Phoenix, and Nest Bedding enough. And again, Nest Bedding continues to be fantastic to work with. We’ve already sent several people looking for a new mattress their way. We can’t imagine buying a mattress from a big chain ever again. Hopefully, Nest Bedding is around in 10-15+ years when we need our next mattress… :slight_smile:

Hope the new mattress works for you as well, dhunn!

Thanks so much for the feedback! We will be around a long time :slight_smile:

Keep in mind these are the configurations we recommend but you can order it in any configuration you like.

The 14 over the firm base combines for a very supportive medium since the 14 is only 3" thick, but you can flip the soft to the bottom or simply ask for a firmer piece than 14 at no additional charge

Sure thing, Nest Bedding - and glad to know you’ll be around for a while. It’s nice to know that there are still a few people/companies out there that care about making a quality product. Kudos to you for that!

And I forgot to mention the customization option in my last post. Yes, Nest Bedding has been wonderful with dialing in the comfort level based on specific comfort needs. Whether it’s a soft, medium, firm or custom-fit comfort level, you and your team have gone above and beyond to make sure we got the mattress that we needed. It’s like purchasing a tailor-made suit - your mattresses are individually-specialized and made-to-order (split firmness, etc.). Not something we encountered in our experiences with other “big-brand” mattress companies.

Like I said, we’ll certainly be recommending Nest Bedding to everyone we know who is looking for a new mattress, quality bedding, etc. Our only regret is that we didn’t start with you a year ago when we needed to replace our old mattress. That would have saved us a year of mattress-buying hell/grief. Worth the final result, though…

1. What role does the 1" medium firm foam layer below the coils play in the mattress?
    The 1" HD foam base layer assists the design with the following:
    a. Provides a solid surface that enables the pocketed coil springs to “activate” and function efficiently.
    b. Helps with stabilizing the mattress from any side sway.
    c. Provide a protective bottom surface that makes the mattress compatible with most types of foundation designs.

Hi Phoenix,

I’ve had some initial discussions with Arizona Premium Mattresses about potentially building us a mattress similar to the Avocado on my side and more plush on my wife’s side. AZ recommended their Ultimate hybrid with some comfort upgrades I created a drawing of the Avocado and how the AZ Ultimate Hybrid might be configured to match. (See attached). A couple questions for you.

• AZ does not place any type of foam under the springs that I could see, so to your points listed above is that something that should be added to the mattress to gain the above benefits, or is it more of a nice to have? As you will remember, we have a slat base, so that may play a role in your response.

• Do you think the way we have designed the mattress would be noticeably more plush for a 110 lb person?

Thanks,
Hammer

Hi Hammer,

While adding a stabilization layer to the bottom of the spring unit would have the benefit of giving an evenly supportive surface for the coils to rest and sit on top of the foundation this would also add to the total cost of the mattress. For most sleepers of normal weight ranges not having a base layer between a slatted foundation and the spring unit will not create any issues but I’d still make sure that you covered all your basis and reach out directly to APM to get their perspective on the pros and cons of using a base layer and find out and about the reason(s) for not using one in their standard design. Arizona Premium is one of our Expert members of the site and I am sure they’ll be glad to clarify this for you.

Even though building your our own mattress may be a rewarding project (and you certainly seem to be having some fun with it … thanks for the visual element you added! :slight_smile: ) I would caution anyone who ventures on the DIY path that they may be lacking the materials engineering knowledge and/or mattress design/building/testing experience needed to design a suitable mattresses and I’d keep in mind that even though the materials and layers may be similar … any change in thickness/firmness or the way they are put and held together may alter dramatically the experience and the feel of the mattress as a whole.

Every individual layer and component in a mattress (including the cover, FR barrier, any quilting material, and of course all foam layers) will affect the feel and response of every other layer and component both above and below it and the mattress “as a whole” so you would need to carefully asses the design and the specs of each mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials (Dunlop in this case, blended) in order to determine if that the mattress in its entirety will be a good “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP(Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) This is especially important when you are trying to approximate the mattress you are considering with others that use the same type of materials and components which may be just as durable but have a different design or firmness level that may be completely unsuitable for you to sleep on.

Your design has 6" of latex on top of the Pocketed Coil system. While having 6" of Plush 14-19 ILD Dunlop for your wife’s side will certainly feel plush, this construction might not be supportive enough to keep her spine in neutral alignment and she may end in a hammock position. In general, given that the support layer is the same, the thickness of comfort/transition layers and their corresponding firmness are interdependent and must be correlated to ensure proper support. If the comfort/transition layers’ thickness increase, then their firmness would need increase and be adjusted to compensate for the added thickness. Generally, the main benefit of a thicker latex mattress is that it can be more adaptable for heavier weights and multiple sleeping positions. It will compress from softer to firmer more gradually which means that there is more “range” of compression without the mattress becoming too firm for heavier weights (or parts of the body). While Avocado has 4" of comfort, your design for your wife’s side of the bed has 6" of soft foam. The difference between a 4" and a 6" comfort layer (and even 2" and 3" for the top layer) can be quite dramatic and also depends on a person’s weight, shape, and sleeping positions. Side sleepers will notice it more (they are more likely to go “through” a thinner comfort layer) and feel more of the properties of the layers below it.

Referencing Post #7 here about your experience with Avocado:

You are correct that the hips’ position in relation to the stiffer area is another variable that may influence how supported the lumbar area is. As she is quite petite then the shoulder area may also be impacted by repositioning herself on the mattress and may not solve the issue. Both you and your wife are within the normal BMI ranges (25 and 21) and the added thickness most likely would not benefit you and can be counterproductive so I would definitely recommend that you keep close to APM and discuss your proposed design to get their recommendations on a suitable ILD progression for your particular needs (especially as you already found your sweet spot in terms of comfort/support with the 2 x 2" of 14-19 ILD & 20-25ILD over the pocket coil).

In general, the thickness of a mattress or the number of layers or the thickness of any individual layers inside it is really just a side effect of the design and the design goals of a mattress and the thickness of any individual layers or the complete mattress is also only one of many variables that can affect the feel and performance of a mattress relative to any particular person (see post #2 here ) and by itself isn’t particularly meaningful (seepost #2 here and post #14 here for more about the effect of thickness)

Based upon your comments and with some guidance from APM I think you’re on the right track with your DIY. I’ll look forward to learning about your progress.

Phoenix