bad back , buying new mattress

So for the first time in my life I’m going to get a really good mattress, all my life I’ve had crappy mattresses… now a cheap IKEA mattress over 10 years old.
My lower back is very bad, and recently It’s been hurting every morning . ( I got a 2 inch foam topper that helps a little)
I’m 5’6. 140 lbs about to turn 60 , will be looking for a King because me an my wife (she’s 5’3 110lbs) like lots of room. Also I sleep on my back or side.
After much research all natural Latex mattresses appeal to me for many reasons… No chemicals, last long… Microbiobial resistant…etc.
I’m really not sure of my prefrence… probably not too firm… I’ve seen two companies that look like they have a great product… spindle…a 9 inch mattress which comprises of 3 layers that
you can reconfigure to get the hardness/ softness level you want… and Satvaa, zen haven (very expensive…). I also see latex hybrids that include springs , I don’t know
what that effect will be… open to any advice as I’d love to get it right the first time, without having to repack and return a mattress, Thanks so much!

Hey Gene,

Welcome to TMU’s forum :slight_smile: ! Thanks for dropping by and for your question.

[quote]So for the first time in my life I’m going to get a really good mattress, all my life I’ve had crappy mattresses… now a cheap IKEA mattress over 10 years old.
[/quote]

Congrats on your new mattress shopping journey! I see that you’ve posed the same question to expert trusted member Mattress To Go and know that Jeff Scheuer will be happy to give you some professional points of view. We’ll offer a few thought starters to get you going on your research for now.

[quote]My lower back is very bad, and recently It’s been hurting every morning . ( I got a 2 inch foam topper that helps a little)
I’m 5’6. 140 lbs about to turn 60 , will be looking for a King because me an my wife (she’s 5’3 110lbs) like lots of room. Also I sleep on my back or side.[/quote]

I’m sorry to hear that you’re experiencing regular lower back pain, Gene; I expect that is most frustrating for you. It’s good that you’ve experimented with the topper for some relief. As you have likely guessed, your 10±year-old mattress’s support could be failing now and a topper would only serve as a temporary band-aid. Happy to hear that you plan to upgrade to a king for both you and your wife’s comfort. What is the budget for your mattress? Do you have COVID-safe showrooms locally for testing mattresses?

[quote]After much research all natural Latex mattresses appeal to me for many reasons… No chemicals, last long… Microbiobial resistant…etc.
I’m really not sure of my prefrence… probably not too firm… I’ve seen two companies that look like they have a great product… spindle…a 9 inch mattress which comprises of 3 layers that
you can reconfigure to get the hardness/ softness level you want… and Satvaa, zen haven (very expensive…). I also see latex hybrids that include springs , I don’t know
what that effect will be…[/quote]

Thanks for considering trusted member Spindle Mattress! Neal and his team are highly knowledgeable in the latex category and can help you decide what configuration of their three-layer mattress design would suit each of you best. You will want to test an all-latex mattress in person if at all possible, you will find the feel of natural latex much different than that of your older Ikea foam mattress. A latex hybrid could be a good choice, if you prefer the feel of pocket coils in a mattress. Latex over pocketed coils may have a bit more “bounce” than an all-natural latex model, so again, if you are located where you can try both kinds, that would be best.

This is the part where I leave you some reading assignments that offer questions you will want to ask as you research your mattress purchase. Thanks for including both of your personal specs above, as they will help determine what comfort and support levels will work best for you. In case you haven’t reviewed this Phoenix article already, you may want to consult "Your Sleeping Style, Preferences, and Statistics"to learn more about how these all play a role in choosing your optimal mattress. “The Basic Functions of a Mattress” discusses latex densities and other topics of interest regarding a mattress’s roles of comfort and support. Lastly, “Mattress Specifications You Need to Know” features conversational terms for helping you work with a mattress manufacturer. You’ll find many other helpful articles above in the “Mattress Selection Process” to guide you through the maze of mattress shopping information as well. Kudos to you for doing the research and working to “get it right the first time”, we are here to help in any way that we can ;).

Good luck,
Sensei

gene silvers:

I really can’t add anything to Sensei’s comments.

I can tell you that if you decide to have a detailed phone conversation with the people at Spindle, they are quite knowledgeable and Neal is very well respected by people in the industry of who I think highly.

And do the reading that Sensei recommended. You sleep is worth it.

Good luck!