Bed Frame - Heavy Duty King

Hi Marla,

The difference between the A, G, and R models is the feet. The A has adjustable glides, the G has a steel stem glide, and the R has a wide rug roller (with 2 brakes).

I’m not sure if you saw this picture but it has 6 legs and the picture shows their positions.

I called Mantua because the 500 lb weight limit that is listed is clearly wrong and they told me that their Craftlock bedframes (which are very similar) have a rating of 1200 lbs. The person I talked with didn’t know the capacity of the Sealy version because the rep was out but I would think it would be either the same or a little higher.

ADDED: Mantua called me back and they told me that the weight limit for the Sealy frame is 1000 lbs which is slightly lower than their very similar Craftlock bedframes.

I’ll leave the rest of your questions for Snuggles2013 :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks for your quick response. I just got off the phone with Zoro Tools to ask about the weight capacity of the Sealy Posturepedic SP66G frame, and they said it has a 500 lb maximum capacity. If true, it doesn’t seem like it would work for Snuggles given the info he provided, so that is why I posted my question. Could the Zoro website specs be incorrect for this bed frame?

The latex bed + foundation I ordered is about 250 lbs & combined weight for husband and I is 335 lbs, which = 585 lbs. which puts us just over 500 lb weight limit. The price through Zoro is fantastic, so I’m very interested in this frame plus the link you posted for the SP 66G looks solid. We don’t necessarily need a heavy-duty frame for our combined weight, but I want to get a high quality frame instead of a flimsy one. Instead of a 6 leg frame, I was actually looking at buying a 9 leg frame for added support, but perhaps that is overkill given my personal specs? I’ll spend the extra money if I need to, but I don’t want to spend more if I don’t have to.

Is there any advantage between choosing adjustable glides (A) vs. steel stem glide (G) vs. wide rug roller with 2 brakes (R)? I’m clueless about that particular detail. Our bed will be on carpet.

Thanks for your help!

Hi Marla,

Yes … they are incorrect (see my last reply).

On a carpet the rug roller will allow you to move the bed more easily and the glides will be more likely to get stuck on the carpet when you try to slide them over it.

Phoenix

I ordered the Standard King Sealy Posturepedic metal bed frame with adjustable glides (SP66A) from Zoro Tools using a $15 off coupon code (do a google search for current codes), so total cost $74.79.

As Phoenix indicated, the Zoro website lists the wrong weight capacity. Instead of a 500 lb capacity, the weight limit is 1000 lb per Mantura.

Thanks to Snuggles for posting the original question about Heavy Duty King frames because I saved a lot of money on the frame ordering through Zoro Tools.

Thanks to everyone in this thread! I ordered the Mantua Sealy bed frame with adjustable glides from Zoro and used a coupon code. Awesome price for a good frame and I love that it has longer sides than most other King sized frames.

Thanks again!

Hi Raistlin,

It sounds like you made a good bedframe choice and I’m glad this topic could help you.

OK … I have to ask … did you mean Kong as in King or King as in Kong :slight_smile:

Phoenix

lol, I just edited my post before I saw this quote. I meant to say King but it ended up being a pretty funny typo.

Warning for anyone ordering from Zoro tools, my Sealy frame was missing one of the adjustable legs. I did not look at my packaging as soon as it arrived, I opened it when I was about to put the entire bed together. Lesson learned there, won’t be doing that again.

It appears that one of the pieces that attaches to the headboard was maybe used because it had marks from attaching a bolt, lots of scratches on the inside and one side was kinda bent. The rest of the frame looked to be in very good condition and even though it was scratched in that spot it doesn’t necessarily mean it was used, but that’s my guess. Headboard piece bent back into position after I tightened the bolt holding the headboard to the frame. And when I say bent I don’t mean badly, it was off a bit so I am not worried about any structural damage.

Zoro will not ship me just a leg, wanted me to repackage and ship back current frame and then they will ship a replacement. Said no way, ship me a new frame and I will remove one leg from that shipment and then send that package back. They reluctantly agreed to that scenario and advised me that if they don’t receive return frame in a timely fashion they will charge me for an additional frame. No problem there since I have no need for a second frame. For the life of me I cannot understand why they are willing to spend the money on shipping a heavy item and then paying for return shipping on a heavy item vs shipping me a tiny leg.

Moral of the story, check out the frame as soon as you get it if you buy from Zoro. Other than the price paid was fantastic and they are willing to fix the missing piece, though their method to do this is strange.

Hi Raistlan,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about the Sealy bedframe in addition to your comments about your foundation in your other post … I appreciate it as well :slight_smile:

I agree with you that their method of sending you the missing leg seems to be somewhat strange.

Phoenix

Thanks to this thread I am now looking into picking up the Sealy frame also. What is the difference between adjustable glides and steel stem glides? I am unsure which to go with. My mattress will be on hard wood flooring.

Hi Shazb0t,

The adjustable glides can be raised or lowered so that you can choose a lower profile for the bedframe. Either one would be fine for a hardwood floor depending on whether you want some height adjustment (I would avoid the carpet roller for hardwood).

Phoenix

I would also add that having the adjustable legs helps with installing a head board if the holes for the bolts don’t line up with the frame.

It helped in my situation.

Hi Raistlin,

Good point :slight_smile:

Just some feedback from someone I talked with today about the adjustable glides as well … they can apparently be a little loose and can turn a bit when you move the bed which can raise the leg up or down unintentionally so it may be a good idea to use some teflon tape or thread seal so that they don’t turn as easily.

Phoenix

Well I finally got the King Sealy bed frame and Arizona Premium Mattress knock down foundation all setup. It was kind of a pain to get it all together in a small space. I also ordered from Zoro Tools and recieved the Sealy frame with only 5 legs. They shipped me another frame to steal a leg from and are paying for return shipping. The bed frame feels pretty solid with the knock down foundation. I was unsure if 6 legs was strong enough but pulled the trigger on your recommendation Phoenix. Thank you for the advice, I’m really happy with my entire mattresses setup and it didn’t break the bank either.

• I’ve got the King size Arizona Premium Ultra Plush
    6" Firm core
    3" Medium comfort layer
  • Arizona Premium Mattress King wood foundation
  • King Sealy Posturepedic bed frame

I think the only thing I’m still interested in trying is finding a cheap 1-2" soft topper to stick on top of my comfort layer and see if I like that even more than my current setup. I’m a real frugal spender, do you have any recommendations? I’m hoping to wait for another closeout sale like those 7 Kingdoms shredded latex toppers, I missed out on that one.

Hi Shazb0t,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

I’m not sure what type of topper material you are most interested in but the lowest cost foam topper would be polyfoam. Post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to should be helpful and also includes a link to the component post that lists the better sources I’m aware of for all the most common types of toppers (including latex if you wish to stick with the same material as you have in your mattress).

Phoenix

Sorry I didn’t specify. Yes, I am wanting it to be Talalay Latex, but I would try Dunlop if the price was right. I’m really waiting for a blowout sale since it’s not a necessity and they usually aren’t returnable.

Hi Shazb0t,

The component post includes some sources that regularly have what would be the equivalent of a “blowout” somewhere else all the time. For blended Talalay bare layers for example have you looked at mattresses.net or KTT?

Phoenix

I have to throw in my 2 cents on the Sealy bed frame here. I ordered it from Zoro Tools based on the recommendations in this thread. It was ordered on 10/13. UPS rejected the shipment on my behalf (before even attempting delivery) on 10/14 since the end of the box was busted open. I called Zoro, and they sent another one out on 10/14. I received it on 10/15. Fantastic customer service. They did not wait until the first one was received back before shipping the replacement.

Zoro takes the order, but the frame ships from Grainger. (Don’t bother trying to buy direct from Grainger, their price is about $30 higher.) I would happily buy from them again. Also, I found a coupon code online. Don’t remember what the coupon was for, but my shipped total was about $68 (I had to pay IL sales tax since I am in the same state as Zoro.)

Anywho, the frame was relatively easy to assemble. Just a couple smacks with a hammer popped in the one stubborn piece. Also, I have over 200 pounds of mattress on it (I suspect quite a bit more as it took 4 able bodied adults over 45 minutes to move it about 50 feet, which included 2 half flights of stairs.) Plus 2 over 200 pound adults with no durability concerns. The frame is strong!

Hope this helps someone!

Sharon

Hi sharon73,

Thanks for the feedback on your bedframe purchase … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

As a heavy couple, we needed a huge and solid frame, after searching for 2 days I concluded that Zinus is famous for making durable products, so I ordered the Zinus one choosing from this recommended list of heavy bed frames, I jumped hard when I was alone to test, and nothing got broken and it’s really value for the money. Try it once you’d be happy.

[center]
https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/40172/81-M5cYhgUL._SL500_.jpg[/center]