Best plush bed build for average weight side sleeper?

I have tried to find an innerspring mattress similar to the plush Beautyrest World Class I used to have (polyfoam over pocketed coils) but have not had any luck. I tried a Naturepedic latex mattress (Soft dunlop over plush coils) but even that felt too firm for me. Any recommendations for what I should try next? Was going to look at European Sleep Works in Berkeley (we live in the Bay Area) since I hear they use Talalay latex in most of their builds, which I understand might be better for a side-sleeping comfort layer. I don’t know if I should look at all-latex, latex over coils, latex with some foam (I don’t even think they offer that), micrcoils, etc. Any advice for things I should narrow down to try if a soft Dunlop Naturepedic felt too firm and bouncy to me? I feel like it still didn’t have enough give for my shoulder and I was waking up sore. I am 5’9" and 160 lbs, my husband can sleep on just about anything without issue but we are both side sleepers.

1 Like

Hey there The650life,

There’s a lot to unpack in your message. I’ll dive into the innerspring mattress issue, while our esteemed Latex experts among our Trusted Members will handle your other concerns regarding latex options.

When transitioning from the BR-style mattress to a latex combination, expect a different feel initially. However, rest assured that manufacturers still produce the more traditional styles, so there’s no need to worry; the tried-and-true options are still available.

You’ll find traditional plush systems like @DLX premier hybrid and latex combinations from brands like @Sleep_EZ, @Arizona_Premium, and luxurious offerings showcased by @TheCleanBedroom. Additionally, with European Sleep Works in your backyard, you have local options to explore.

It’s worth noting that some artisan manufacturers mentioned incorporate zoned Dunlop layers and segmented offerings, similar to what you can find at @CST Custom Sleep Technology.

For a bit of education, take a glance at CST’s segmented mattress combinations to familiarize yourself with the diverse market offerings.

Our trusted members excel in helping clients find the perfect fit for their sleep needs, and you’ll undoubtedly benefit from their expertise.

I anticipate hearing their insights enrich your journey to better sleep.

All the best,

Maverick

Hello, the650life, thanks for your question. I can think of a couple of options.
One might be to try the Naturepedic EOS again, but with the pillowtop to see if that helps. Another option would be to try a zoned mattress that is softer in the shoulder area, while offering a little more support for hips and knees. Finally, perhaps check out the soft tension option of a Vispring - I think there might be a showroom close to you. You can choose the tension and I’ve heard people say it feels plush but supportive, depending on which model you choose. Good luck!

1 Like

While latex can be an excellent material for some individuals, it’s important to recognize that everyone has unique preferences. Given your experience with the Naturepedic mattress feeling too firm, it’s highly likely that any latex mattress, whether all-latex or hybrid, may also feel too firm for your liking. For certain individuals, the buoyant and resilient feel of “100%” natural latex can indeed be too firm.

Moreover, if you found Dunlop latex to be too bouncy, it’s worth noting that many people perceive Talalay latex as even bouncier. This aligns with our observations as well.

Considering your preference for the softer feel of polyurethane foam, as evidenced by your enjoyment of the Beautyrest World Class mattress, which utilizes this material alongside pocket coils, it’s understandable that latex may not suit your preferences. Polyurethane foam tends to offer a softer feel without excessive bounce.

If you’re still interested in exploring latex options but desire a softer feel, we recommend considering a blended Talalay latex. Blended latex, incorporating synthetic latex (SBR), often feels softer compared to 100% natural Dunlop or Talalay latex. Some users also report that blended latex mattresses have better longevity, although this debate could be explored further at another time.

In terms of recommendations, we suggest exploring mattresses that utilize pocket coils and polyurethane foam in the comfort layers, given your preferences. While we may be biased towards our own mattresses, it’s worth considering local options in the Bay Area. Though we don’t have firsthand experience with them and they might involve a significant drive depending on your location within the Bay Area, two potential options within your range could be Bay Beds and Nest Bedding who are members here. Additionally, there’s a factory-direct option in Salinas – Salinas Mattress Co. If you decide to visit any of these locations, we advise calling before and discussing your specific needs with a salesperson to see if they have suitable mattresses available for testing and/or worth visiting.

1 Like