Bought my mom a Dormeo Two, hoping it works out

Hello everyone, I’m new here and seeking advice from mattress experts or anyone knowledgeable about mattresses. I recently invested in a Dormeo Two mattress, spending a bit over $3000 Canadian for my mother. She suffers from a displaced disk in her lower back, opting out of surgery. I discovered she was sleeping on a spring mattress, which prompted the purchase as I know a quality mattress can improve your whole life…

I’m reaching out here because although the Dormeo Two is already on its way, I’m concerned about mixed reviews mentioning waking up with pains. I hope this investment will alleviate her discomfort rather than exacerbate it. Thank you all for your insights; I’m loving the threads here so far

-Nicholas Demitro Canada

Hi Nicholas Demitro,

Welcome to our community! It’s great to see that you’re already engaging and seeking advice on such an important purchase. The importance of a good mattress can’t be overstated, especially when dealing with back issues like your mother’s displaced disk.

Regarding the Dormeo Two mattress, it’s commendable that you’ve invested in what you believe will be a supportive option for your mother. Mattress comfort can be highly subjective, and individual responses can vary. Some people may find relief with one type of mattress while others might not have the same experience.

The mixed reviews you mentioned are not uncommon since preferences for mattress firmness and support can differ widely. However, the Dormeo Two is designed with memory foam, which is often recommended for those with back problems due to its ability to contour to the body and provide support where it’s needed.

Here are a few tips to ensure the best possible outcome:

1. Give it Time: It can take several weeks for the body to adjust to a new mattress. Encourage your mother to give it a fair trial period before making a judgment.

2. Check the Return Policy: Make sure you are familiar with the return policy. Many mattress companies offer a trial period during which you can return the mattress if it doesn’t meet your expectations.

3. Proper Base: Ensure that the mattress is being used with a supportive base or bed frame. This can affect the comfort and lifespan of the mattress.

4. Additional Support: Consider accessories like mattress toppers or adjustable bases if the mattress alone doesn’t seem to provide the desired comfort.

5. Consult Healthcare Professionals: Since your mother has a specific medical condition, it might be beneficial to consult with her healthcare provider for personalized advice on what type of mattress might be best for her condition.

I hope the Dormeo Two turns out to be the perfect fit for your mother and that she finds relief and comfort in her sleep. We’re here for any further questions or discussions you might want to have as you navigate this process.

All the best
Mario ~

2 Likes

Hi NicholasDemitro,
Welcome to Mattress Underground!
@MFC has given you great advice to follow to help adjust things when the mattress gets there - you have options if you feel it isn’t working and MFC has laid those out well.
My spouse has a bad back and a couple additional things we have tried are:

1. a thin pillow under the small of the back and
  2. a pillow under the knees, sometimes two pillows, sometimes one, sometimes a wedge pillow that is high in the middle gives the best angle.

A mattress is so important for rest, rejuvenation and sleep, and it’s great that you recognized that and are helping your mother in this way. Everyone’s experience is a little different, so you can anticipate an adjustment period, for sure.
Katie

1 Like