Bouncing Around, Need Direction

Hi there,

I’ve been trying to find the right mattress for the past three months or so, and it’s been a bumpy ride. I’ve been bouncing (heh) from mattress to mattress and I could really use some advice on how to proceed.

First, a little background. I’m a side sleeper, male, 35 years, 5’9" and currently about 225 lbs (although my weight has fluctuated between 205 and 225 over the past year or two). I’m pretty broadly built, with relatively wide shoulders and hips. My budget is $1,200 (but i’d love to spend less, of course).

Here’s what happened:

I bought my first mattress from Mattress Firm in February, a Simmons Beautyrest Recharge Bay Spring Luxury Firm Pillowtop. It turned out to be more “firm” than “luxury”: I spent two weeks getting poor sleep and walking around with significant pain in my side – often on the side that’s on top when I sleep, not the side I was sleeping on. This was clearly too hard.

I exchanged it for a fancier and much softer mattress, the Serta iSeries Hybrid 300 Plush (a Mattress Firm exclusive). At first it was great – I loved the softer feel of the comfort layers, and I was able to sleep just fine. But I noticed that I was frequently waking up with soreness in my lower back (which went away immediately when I slept on a firmer mattress in a hotel!) I tried to make it work for over a month, but in the end, I had to send that back too.

After striking out twice with Mattress Firm, I said “screw this” and ordered a Nectar. I’d tried it out once and liked the feel, plus I’d hoped the memory foam would be soft and contouring without sagging. After a few weeks, I can say it’s definitely better – I’m not having the lower back issues I had on the Serta, and the surface feel is pretty soft. Unfortunately, my hips are sinking in quite deep, and it feels like there’s a pressure point forming there. I’m also not liking how “dead” and unresponsive the bed feels.

I’m trying out a topper to see if that helps (Tuft & Needle’s “&Topper”, since I’ve tested out a couple of their mattresses and liked the soft/bouncy feel). If that doesn’t work, I’m not sure what to do. I’m still within my trial period for the Nectar, so I can still send it back. I liked the feel of both Tuft & Needle models (“T&N” and “Mint”); I’m tempted to order one of those. But I’ve already bought three mattresses in three months, and if I have to buy a fourth, I want to make darn sure there isn’t a fifth.

Basically, I’d like something soft and plush, ideally with a little bounce, that still supports and aligns my 225 lb body.

What should I do?

Thanks,
Noah