Broken body ready to spend big

I hoping in the right place. Before i pull finger and buy an expensive matress, I was hoping to get some advice.

So I’ve had chronic pain for a few years. It started in my back where i found putting a firm latex topper on my bed and throwing the matress on the hard floor helped. Back pain isn’t so bad now, but now I have piriformis syndrome and lots of pain in my traps. I am in a different bed these days, i should mention.

I taught myself to sleep on my back. I will roll onto my side during the night, but pain will typically send me back onto my back. Use to have a pillow under my knees for my back, but it makes my hip worse now.

I have no idea what qualities to get in mattress as I’ve found so much conflicting things online.

Any ideas what i should be looking for. I have 0 budget and would like a double of sorts…

Thanks all

Hi BrokeBackBoy,
Welcome to TMU.

I will start by saying buying a mattress does take a bit of researching and self awareness. Clearly you are having some difficulties and are aware of those current issues when sleeping.

Of course we always recommend the standard philosophy that includes:
It’s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing. We have many tutorials here at TMU and one to start with Introduction and basics of a mattress.

Having brought that to you attention, it is important to know if there are any underlying conditions that are know to affect your sleep habits, what is your BMI, age height and weight. Do you sleep with a partner or solo. Where there mattresses in the past that were seemingly more comfortable than others. You have been using a pillow under your knees, but what pillow have you been using under your head.

While some of this things may seem trivial, knowing and understanding the entire puzzle, rather than just one corner of it, can help formulate a plan to put you on the right track.

Now, it could be as easy as walking into a showroom like @TheCleanBedroom and try a sumptuous Royalpedic or Naturepedic Mattress that one of their professionals will guide you to the best model based on their assessment of your body profile and PPP’s. Or having someone such as Custom Sleep Technology or @Arizona_Premium custom design you a mattress based on all your specifications. All of these folks offer selections that allow for interchangeable layers to fine tune your mattress system to set you up for a comfortable sleep experience.

Custom Sleep Technology for example has a great body profile questionnaire CST Website These types of questionnaires are valuable in starting the process on your own. You must still do a bit of due diligence to understand why the combinations of foams, foams and springs, gauges and densities are being included to focus on your specific needs.

As you learn more about how mattress systems are constructed. There are options out there where a manufacturer can build a mattress to your specifications and there are those that are prebuilt/designed for a wider variety of potential sleepers. What is great these days is that when you purchase a per-designed system, if they are a bit on the firm side, they can be tweaked with a topper to accommodate for situations as you have described. That latex topper on your mattress and using the floor for extra support. This time around, with the tools we arm you with will lead you to a mattress that will have the appropriate support system that your body needs rather than resorting to the floor!

When you say

I have no idea what qualities to get in mattress as I’ve found so much conflicting things online.

Any ideas what i should be looking for. I have 0 budget and would like a double of sorts…
That, for me, requires a bit more explanation. Are you saying you have an unlimited budget and want a full sized mattress?

Hopefully you can elaborate on that.

I know there are not a lot of specific recommendations of a particular mattress system, but a place to start in your search for the perfectly matched mattress.

Norm