Brooklyn Bedding has changed materials

Hi Manimal and GJL3,

Iā€™ll be interested in both of your comments on the new mattress.

Phoenix

I canā€™t find a single video of the new mattress. Why donā€™t they have any videos on it to show the firmness?

Hi shane,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Videos of a product are not reliable methods to show firmness. While ā€œfirmnessā€ is subjective, the best way to relate this would be to know the componentry inside of the mattress as a starting point, and if possible the ILDs of those layers, which can then give you a general idea within a particular lineup of how one model might compare to another. Brooklyn Bedding is very forth coming with this information, both on their web site and here on the forum. They even have a scale relating one product to another within the Best Mattress Ever line, with general guidelines of sleeping styles for which each model is most commonly appropriate.

Overall there are no ā€œstandardā€ definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like ā€œmediumā€ for someone else or even ā€œsoftā€ for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they ā€œrateā€ a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is one of the reasons I always suggest that you place a phone call directly with the manufacturer before placing an order for an item like this, as they will have the best knowledge about their products and best be able to relate which particular item in their lineup that the feel will give you the best chance at success.

Phoenix

I ended up just buying one with no reviews out there. YOLO, I guess.

Hi, which one did you buy and did you get any discounts?

Hi shane,

Buying a mattress without reviews doesnā€™t matter, as reviews or other peopleā€™s experiences in general wonā€™t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress for yourself or any particular person (see post #13 here). If you instead follow the steps and guidelines in the mattress shopping tutorial you will shift the odds of success in terms of making a good quality/value choice from being mostly against you to be greatly in your favor. This site was never designed to be a review site (and doesnā€™t even have a review section on the site) but is meant to educate and inform about ā€œhow to chooseā€ a mattress ā€¦ not ā€œwhatā€ to choose.

Phoenix

[quote=ā€œGJL3ā€ post=70823]
I also own the the ultimate dreams latex mattress in the 6 comfort level (guest bedroom), which is the same rating as my #BME so I was expected it to feel similar. However if my Dreamfoam is a 6 I would put this at around 8.5. So Iā€™m slightly concerned that they may have shipped me the firm model on accidentā€¦[/quote]

I just wanted to walk back this comment. After going through my emails with Dreamfoam from last year I have noticed that Dreamfoamā€™s comfort scale is reverse of Brooklyn Beddingā€™s (B.B. 10 is firm D.F. 10 is soft). So I am now certain that I have the correct mattress firmness, and it makes perfect sense to me why they feel so different.

It is unfortunate that the sales representative recommended the medium because she thought it would have a similar comfort level as my Dreamfoam. In her defense after reading through the chat transcript I think I confused her because she originally recommended the soft and then I mentioned the level 6 comfort of my dreamfoam and she changed her recommendation. Probably forgot they are opposite comfort scales.

Anyway I just wanted to correct the record.

Good point- I noticed that as well a little while back but didnā€™t catch it in your postā€¦ was more focused on your description of the feel, etc.- it does seem that BB/Dreamfoam may want to take care with advice on the firmness ratingsā€¦ a little while back, I was told the previous BB medium would be equivalent to the Dreamfoam #6. Even understanding that feel is very subjective and there are numerous variables and unknowns, Iā€™d expect the Dreamfoam to feel softer given the softer (and thicker) layer of Talalay on top of the convuluted base and with more soft quilting foam on top. BB is currently maintaining the medium as the most popular on their site but hopefully most people considering a purchase will contact them for direct advice, since they seem to be recommending the soft over the medium in many cases.

Hi GJL3,

I misunderstood you as well. Thanks for the clarification.

Phoenix

Hi Manimal,

I think that the consultants from most online companies do ā€œtake careā€ with their advice, as it is in their best interest to do so. They have access to a large database of their own internal testing results, as well as longitudinal data with what mattresses and combinations have worked best with different requests, somatotypes, BMIs, sleeping styles, etc., but because of the very issues you brought up (comfort being subjective and numerous variables and unknowns) what is advised will be their best approximations based upon the information they gather, but of course actual results (as opposed to suppositions) will vary, which is the reason these brands generally offer varying levels of exchange/fine tuning/return policies.

The Medium will almost always be the most popular choice and recommendation for online brands, as it hits most closely in the middle of the bell curve of comfort and sleeping styles. And yes, placing a phone call with any manufacturer is always recommended before making a purchase, as they are most knowledgeable about their products and the wide range of appropriate applications, and as noted here by Brooklyn Bedding the success rate in much higher for people with a prior consult before order placement.

Phoenix

Hello everyone. This is my first time posting, but I have been referencing the information on the site for quite some time as I am in the market for a new mattress. I currently sleep on aPranasleep Vinyasa Plush that I honestly have loved since I bought it over 10 years ago. My only dislike, as you can probably guess, was the pricing as they are very VERY expensive. After doing my research I began to think that perhaps it was the latex material that I loved, and looking for something comparable brought me to be interested in Brooklyn Beddingā€™s #BME.

As I was finalizing my preparation to purchase a medium (as I am generally a stomach and side sleeper so thought it would be a welcome change) I was thrown off to see that the company had changed the materials. Also just a little more background, I am 6ā€™ 2" 220 lbs athletic/muscular build. I will be watching the follow ups here closely, but also wanted to know if there were any other Latex companies that the site recommends if this Titanflex just does not work out ( was thinking about trying it out for the trial period if others had positive experiences).

I apologize if some of my questions would be better suited for a new topic.

Dreamfoam bedding is the sister company to Brooklyn Bedding. They still have a line of reasonably priced latex mattresses. I bought the Aloe Alexis since Iā€™m a heavy person and the two layers of latex have worked out pretty well. I was looking at the BME to buy for my brother in law, but when they changed the material I bought the Eurotop from Dreamfoam instead. After it arrives Iā€™ll post feedback.

Hi jaylooking4sleep,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Iā€™m not sure of the exact specifications of PranaSleep Vinyasa Plush from 10 years ago, but it was similar to the current model. Your old mattress used a 15 cm Talalay core, with two (total of 10 cm) 10 ILD Talalay layers above that, with polyfoam in the quilt. The current PranaSleep Vinyasa Plush uses a Talalay core that is 6" (with a 1" 1.45 lb polyfoam base), on top of which is 1" of ā€œmediumā€ Talalay and 1" of ā€œsoftā€ Talalay. Above this is 2 ā€“ 1" pieces of 2.5 lb ā€œsoftā€ polyfoam and .75" of 2.5 lb SuperSoft polyfoam, all in the quilt. These are better quality materials, but as you mentioned the pricing is quite high for the componentry on the inside as compared to other brands who offer ā€œsimilarā€ componentry.

The previous version of the BME used a total of 4" of latex in the upper layers, which is now replaced with an ultra-high performance 4 lb polyfoam, which while it has ā€œlatex-likeā€ properties, is not latex. Even in the old configuration the BME was not a product that was configured ā€œcomparableā€ to your Vinyasa mattress, as that mattress used latex in the bottom and middle transition layers, with some polyfoam on top in the quilt (opposite of the BME, which uses a polyfoam core and not the HP polyfoam on the top.

If you are considering something using latex, there are many members here of the site that offer latex mattresses and I think very highly of them and I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency, and are extremely knowledgeable about latex and different configurations, and I would not hesitate to recommend any of them for your consideration.

Iā€™ve never been too much a stickler about posting in different threads, as long as the follow-up posts are in the same thread to make it easier to reference.

Phoenix

This was exactly the information that I needed, and really appreciate it. I will be doing more research to get a better fit of what I am looking for.

Iā€™ve been considering a BME and sent them an email asking to explain the change. This is their response.
Lilian Vivian (Brooklyn Bedding)
May 22, 10:18 MST

Hi Tom,
Our mattress is now featuring TitanFlex Foam which is a new latex alternative which has been tested and proven to be much more durable, comfortable, and approximately 5x cooler than latex. This material includes newly designed TitaniumGel material which is very responsive, like latex. This material is 100% hypoallergenic and is CertiPure US Certified, which means there are not any toxic or harmful chemicals used in the material. This also means there will be no chemical off gassing odors from the mattress. We have been testing this new design with select customers for the last few months, and receiving amazingly positive results. We also still offer the 120-night trial period on this mattress, this is truly a wonderful design and we have been extremely impressed with the overall feedback we have been getting. I would highly recommend giving it a shot, so you can feel it for yourself

SOFT
2" TitanFlex Comfort Layer- Soft 13ILD
2" TitanFlex Transitional Layer ā€“ Medium 18ILD
6" 1.8lb 36ILD HD Base Foam

Medium
2" TitanFlex Comfort Layer ā€“ Medium 18ILD
2" TitanFlex Transitional Layer - Firm 28ILD

FIRM
4" TitanFlex Comfort Layer - Firm 28ILD

Dream foam did not change to the TitanFlex because we do want to give some options to the latex as well.

Please let me know if you have any other questions I can help you with.

Thank you

Lilian
Brooklyn Bedding
888.210.8751[/color]

Hi tj6575,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!

Thanks for posting your note from Brooklyn Bedding. We have those updated specifications posted in the simplified choice thread and also in a few spots in this thread as well. Thank you!

Phoenix

I find it interesting that Dreamfoam is not changing to TitanFlex and says it still wants to offer a latex option. What is the Hyper Flex Foam on top of an Ultimate Dream 10 inch with the 3 inches of Talalay latex, and there a significant difference versus the 4 inches of Latex on the previous BB. TU.

Hi tj6575,

While sister companies, their line-ups are separate, as are the ā€œfeelsā€ they strive to achieve. Their goal is not to duplicate. Iā€™m not sure how ā€œinterestingā€ that is :slight_smile: , but there wouldnā€™t necessarily be a reason for all divisions under the Brooklyn Bedding umbrella to make a blanket substitution of one layer for another with the introduction of one new comfort material.

This is a thinner layer of soft polyfoam that is used in quilting layers that is used to affect the surface ā€œfeelā€ of a mattress. There is more about quilting foam and other types of quilting materials in post #12 here.

Yes, there would be a difference between both models, as they use different componentry and all of the layers of a mattress work together to achieve the overall comfort and support. The old BME had a 6" 2 lb polyfoam core, with 2" of Dunlop and 2" of Talalay on top of that, with thin polyfoam in the quilt. The Ultimate Dreams 10" latex youā€™re referencing uses a 6" 1.5 lb firm polyfoam core that is convoluted on top, above which is 3" of Talalay latex and then the 1.5" of Hyper Flex plush polyfoam. The old BME was available in three different firmnesses (as is the new version), and the Dreamfoam 10" Ultimate Dreams latex is available in 4 different firmnesses.

Phoenix

Which of the two would give the best PPP for a side sleeper.

Hi tj6575,

The old model of the BME isnā€™t available, so that is out of the equation for your consideration.

While side sleepers tend to need a bit more surface comfort and contouring, I would have no way via an online forum to reliably advise which model would be the best fit for your own PPP (ā€œPersonalā€ as a key part of PPP). The first ā€œruleā€ of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress might be best for you.

When you canā€™t test a mattress in person, then the most reliable source of guidance I suggest is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart, and who can help ā€œtalk you throughā€ the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and ā€œfeelā€ of the materials they are using and the options they have available that may be the best ā€œmatchā€ for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the ā€œaveragesā€ of other customers that are similar to you and your sleeping style. They will know more about ā€œmatchingā€ their specific mattress designs, options, and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Both the current version of the Brooklyn Bedding Best Mattress Ever and the Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams 10" Latex mattress are available in ā€œmediumā€ and ā€œsofterā€ configurations, which tend to be popular with side sleepers, but there of course is a large variation in individual preferences, BMIs, somatotypes, physical characteristic and limitations, flexibility, muscular strength, etc., which is why I would recommend a phone conversation with both manufactures you are considering for their guidance before making a choice.

Phoenix