Building a custom bed - advice?

Hi,
I’m considering customizing a mattress with layers sourced from different businesses.
The purpose is to get the comfort, durability and natural components that I seek at a lower price point.

I’m considering a firm beautyrest mattress, a 2 inch talalau super soft topper and finally a wool topper/pad. I’m trying to mimic some higher end mattresses that are both very supportive but also quite plush on top.

Any advice here would be appreciated.

Thanks

What a coincidence! Less than a year ago, I acquired a Beautyrest bed but found it was just too firm. Tried a memory foam topper, then tried a 3-inch Talalay topper. (The topper is soft, not super soft, since that wasn’t an option from the vendor we found.) This combination is still not good for me – it’s probably a bit more complicated for me to find a sleeping system that is comfortable because I have a very bad spine (failed spinal fusion surgery).

I’m a relative newbie here and so I don’t know enough to offer useful advice, but I’d consider selling the Beautyrest and possibly the Talalay topper. (Although come to think of it, I believe I can still return the topper.) Anyway, I had already toyed with the idea of having someone move the Beautyrest to our guest room, then starting over again with bed shopping. Or selling the Beautyrest, because maybe it would work well for someone else out there with different preferences. FYI, we are located outside of Washington DC.

Hi MAC6
If you are trying to soften up a firm mattress, I would suggest a latex topper but with a 3" thickness. A super soft 2" topper won’t provide the support and you will most likely compress it to the point where you will be feeling the firm mattress below. Consider a 3" latex topper that would be appropriate for your body weight. Obviously, the higher the ILD the firmer. Talalay latex is produced in 8 different densities; 14, 19, 24, 28, 32, 36, 40, and 44.

BZ

Thanks for your reply BZ.

With my new understanding of the super soft being too soft - that I’ll feel the firm bed underneath - I’m now considering either a 2" soft or 3" medium talalay.

Will 3" of medium feel more plush than 2" of soft?

With my partner’s weight I think a medium would be recommended but I’m concerned that won’t be soft enough for either of our liking. We have another bed with 2" of soft Dunlop (20ild) on top and it’s just not quite soft enough. Our favourite too expensive bed was a Berkeley, with 2" of soft and 2" of super soft talalay in the comfort layers.

Thanks again!

That’s sounds really frustrating. I find it difficult when we can’t try out these arrangements ahead of time and that pre made beds with latex (at least where I’m located) are just too expensive!!!

Have you found a workable solution?

Hi MAC6,
You should consider a 3" topper with a 14 ILD in Talalay latex. I believe that will provide that super soft feel you’re looking for. 3" so you don’t go through it and 14 is very plush.

BZ