Buying mattress

Hi,
I am currently looking to replace a mattress that has started to sag after 7+ years. I kept turning it but would just sag quicker and quicker after being rotated. I am a side sleeper, 175 pounds. I like to feel some support for my lower back and I also like some comfort/coziness for side sleeping. I can get pressure points on shoulder/hip.

I don’t care for memory foam sinking feeling so have kind of ruled those out. I was kind of thinking to buy a medium tight top mattress and add a latex topper to make it more cozy for side sleeping. Have tried some out in the store and was looking at the stearns and foster lux estate in medium tight top. They have a pillow top version as well in medium but it is $600 more. I think I would be saving 400 bucks by buying the tight top medium version and adding a $200 topper of my own. Something like the sleep on latex 2" topper.

Any advice on this? Should I be buying a $3,000 mattress in tight top to only be adding a topper for comfort which is additional cost? I just want the coil system to be of good quality.

Thanks for the advice!!!

1 Like

Hi Golfer123,
Welcome to TMU.

I don’t care for memory foam sinking feeling so have kind of ruled those out. I was kind of thinking to buy a medium tight top mattress and add a latex topper to make it more cozy for side sleeping. Have tried some out in the store and was looking at the stearns and foster lux estate in medium tight top. They have a pillow top version as well in medium but it is $600 more. I think I would be saving 400 bucks by buying the tight top medium version and adding a $200 topper of my own. Something like the sleep on latex 2" topper.

I am rarely critical of anyone’s mattress or construction, unless it is so poorly designed that it can not go without saying. When I was searching for a new mattress which began a few years ago, and I ultimately made a purchase a little more than a year ago, the Sterns and Foster Rockwell Estate Ultra Firm was top 5 on my list. I ultimately passed on it, despite it’s legacy reputation. It’s reputation from those actual user reviews made me question it’s place on my list.

For your purposes, you mentioned that you do not care for the sinking feeling of memory foam. When you examine the layers of the S&F you have selected, you will find right there under the cover/panel layer S&F Lux Estate Medium is that “tempur indulge memory foam” the exact thing you are trying to avoid. I will admit, when you lie on the mattress, it is both luxurious and comfortable. It is what will happen down the line is what is worrisome. Not only do they not tell you what exactly the specifications what is in the mattress other than to identify each layer by name, so it is impossible to make comparisons. Plus, tempurpedic memory foam is viscoelastic, so it is heat sensitive and will sink when it warms up.

Ultimately, the final decision comes down to you. I am here to point out the obvious, the not so obvious and the hidden when possible.

For the purposes of this thread, I am going to point out two mattresses from @DLX. DLX Classic and DLX Premier. One is a two sided design that offers a superior build and the other a one sided construction that will offer a similar feel to the S&F but with the next level in performance materials.

I probably could have chosen multiple mattresses for comparison from our Trusted members, but those two just popped into mind. Plus if you look i the trusted member section, you will find that @DLX has an additional offer for members as does most all of our trusted members.

I just wanted to point this out for you to compare layer by layer. Of course, you have to decide what is comfortable for you. When you read @DLX comfort guarantee (one of my 3R’s) they offer a no hard feelings trial period, and I would encourage you to read about that on their web-site.

I am quite certain that some other trusted members would be happy to chime in and compare their offerings to the S&F.

I just had to chime in myself when you stated you were trying to avoid that sinking memory foam feel. I would concur that your idea holding back on the pillowtop in lieu of a topper is a wise choice in your scenario, as well as questioning the $3000 price tag on the S&F.

Good luck with your choice!
Norm

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I realize it has some memory foam. It’s hard to find any mattress which doesn’t, however, when I test the mattress in the store it doesn’t give me a sinking feeling of hybrid or full memory foam mattresses.

Those two options look interesting. What do you think of the Denver mattress doctor choice elite?

Golfer123,
It is actually not that hard to find a mattress that do not have viscoelastic memory foam. Just about every trusted member here, does not use viscoelastic memory foam. Most tend to use natural fibers and natural foams and some use high density polyurethane foam. And all are very transparent about all the materials being used and the specifications of those materials. That should be your focus.
Norm

Regarding the Dr Choice Elite series, depending on which model you have anywhere from 1-3" of viscoelastic memory foam in the comfort layer. Once again exactly what you were asking not to have. Plus they use a 3lb density, when 4 and 5lb are considered more durable and longer lasting. I will give them some credit as they are transparent about their materials.