Can anyone offer suggestions?

Hi,
Thank goodness I found this forum! We’ve been searching for a new mattress for several weeks and frustration is setting in. I plan to checkout Restmore in Winnipeg this week but I’m not sure what I’m looking for. So far, we’ve found 2 beds that feel pretty good. The Midnight Comfort from Dreamstar (1.5" latex and 1.5 lb eco foam). and the Nixon sold by Ashley Furniture and made by Sealy (I’m really trying to stay away from the “Big S” manufacturers following our last horrific experience with Serta). Of course, this bed felt great, but I have no idea what quality materials it’s made of and can’t get any straight answers from the sales staff. Anyway, both are medium firm zoned pocket coil bases (I think) with varying top materials in the comfort layers. I guess that’s my starting point. Any suggestions where I should start “building” the top layers?
Thanks for any suggestions you can offer!

Hi Leah,

Welcome … and I’m glad you found us :slight_smile:

I would avoid the Sealy or any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the information you need to know ((see this article) to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress and to make more meaningful comparisons with other mattresses . I would also be cautious if there is more than “about an inch or so” 1.5 lb polyfoam in a one sided mattress.

[quote]Any suggestions where I should start “building” the top layers?
Thanks for any suggestions you can offer! [/quote]

While I can certainly help with “how” to choose … I don’t make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Hopefully you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial (which is the best place to start your research) but two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Assuming that the materials in a mattress you are considering are durable enough for your body type and meet the quality/durability guidelines here relative to your weight range … the choice between different types and combinations of materials and components or different types of mattresses are more of a preference and a budget choice than a “better/worse” choice (see this article).

You may have seen this already but the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in the Winnipeg, MB area (subject to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines I linked earlier in this reply) are listed in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Thanks so much. All good info to keep in mind while we’re looking!

Hi Leah,

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any other comments or questions you may have along the way that I or any of the other more knowledgeable members of the forum can help with.

Phoenix