Can this bed be saved?

Naturepedic only sells Dunlop.

You are correct, there is no ā€œorganicā€ talalay to date. It also makes perfect sense that the microcoil layer would feel like they conform better than dunlop latex. Thanks for clarifying.

I want to add that the jury is still out on my Naturepedic EOS Pillow top, and I am still in the sleep trial period. I started out with the firm Base Coil, Medium Latex, Plush Latex, which I initially preferred, but I suddenly woke up with severe lower back pain in a less than two weeks. After this, I switched to the Medium Latex under the Medium Microcoil, which was comfy. That said, I keep feeling like my hips are slightly lower than my body, so I have been trying the Firm Latex, under the Medium Microcoil. Itā€™s much firmer and I donā€™t feel like my hips are lower, but it isnā€™t as comfy. Still, I canā€™t shake the lower back pain. Itā€™s much improved, but still an issue. Iā€™m going to switch back to my original mattress to see if this issue resolves.

I had the hips sagging issue too and tried everything- switching to microcoils, memory foam as comfort layers, adjusting slating on bed frame. The first thing that helped somewhat was making sure the bottom thick trim of the mattress cover was not folding under the coils. That created a slight hammock effect as the outside coils rolled up and in. BUT the thing that really saved the bed and has made it even Great was removing the cotton encasement for the coils. The cotton essentially turns a coil systems designed to act independently into a hammock because the cotton decreased at the heaviest point, our hips pulls the rest of the coils into that crease. I assume naturepedic either encased their coils for marketing reasons to add that as a selling point or because the coils are gluless and may be more fragile than coils which are glued together. You can use needle noise pliers to grab the zipper of the coil encasement and pull it off. My bed now feels like an actual mattress again! Hope this helps anyone.

Thank you! Are you talking about the mattress encasement or the ecasement of the just the base coil. If you mean the thin coil encasement, it seems that might just be inzipped. Iā€™m not understanding what you mean by the thick trim. Could you clarify?

I ultimately began to suspect that it was a hammocking issue too, and was considering altering that cotton membrane of the matress encasement (above the base coil, but below the pillow top) too, but thatā€™s what gives the mattress structure. The extra firm base coils seem to resist the hammocking enough to prevent the back pain, although itā€™s a little firmer than Iā€™d like. As it turns out, I have a fracture that causes an unstable spine, so the support needs to be perfect as my muscles relax in sleep. I did leave the top unzipped though (to prevent more hammocking). I think this mattress might be better suited to pure side sleepers.

FYI, you can thead a wire tie (like a baggy tie) through the zipper to make a pull and simply unzip it.

Another question. ā€¦ do you have the EOS classic or pillowtop?

I think I understand now. Was your bottom trim (around the bottom perimeter of the encasement) folded under, lifting the outer edge of the coils and causing them to rotate inward? This doesnā€™t appear to be an issue in my case, but I have suspected that the very tight, non-stretch cotton fabric that zippers closed at the top of the bottom compartment ( between the pillow top compartment and the bottom compartment) acts like a membrane, thereby ā€œhammockingā€ under the hips.

I think I understand this now, as well. It appears that your referring to the light, cotton, individual encasement that covers only the coil set. I think you could get the same effect by simply unzipping it. That would probably release the edges on three sides, so it canā€™t hammock. Do you have the EOS pillowtop? I started to suspect that the separation layer between the pillow-top and the main compartment ā€œhammocksā€ below the hips, but thatā€™s what provides the structure. I canā€™t think of any good correction for that.

Goodie

Thank you kindly for coming in and sharing your experience! This information and feedback may very well be useful for future customers. It is great to hear that you are happy with your mattress now! Thanks again, happy sleeping!

I have the non pillow top version with firm coils and soft latex ( also used microcoils in medium). 6 inches of comfort layers seemed like too much to me, Iā€™m 6ā€™2" male 180 lbs. Simply unzipping the cotton encasement of the coils could work okay but removing it all the way is better as even just unzipping it you still would have the cotton pulling other coils towards the hips. Latex has many of the same characteristic as the encased sheet coils presented - body impressions stretch the latex from below and above towards it, where as open PU foam doesnā€™t have this characteristic. If you were to use a stretch knit mattress cover it would help the mattress immensely. Having encased coils in non stretch cotton + latex + a non stretch mattress cover is just asking for everything to sink towards the hips.

That pillow top separation layers between everything would also a problem. Its probally the same separation textile as the bottom of the mattress cover. I donā€™t have the pillow top so canā€™t verify. I also donā€™t know how you would fix that other than cutting off those separation layers to allow the comfort layers to blend together. Having all natural mattress presents alot of problems for design due to not having elastic materiels available.