Canada latex hybrid BIB?

First time posting here. Not sure where to place my question exactly since I can’t do it under General. Is there a separate sub-category for Canada that I haven’t found yet??

I’m female, 5’2", 135 lbs, side sleeper, back/neck pain (old injury). Currently sleeping on a Serta pillow top, which I hate, bought it 4 yrs ago and its been killing me for the past 2 yrs. Basically feels like I’m sleeping on springs. I wake up with pressure pains in my hips mostly. It doesn’t sink in enough to kick in the warranty (1.5 in).

I once slept on a Tempurpedic for a week and was ready to throw it out the window. I have never been so sore in my life. So, the all foam mattresses scare me!

I’ve been reading around this site for the past few months, checking various websites, narrowed my choices again and again and again. Thought I found what I wanted, and then reading here I’m even more confused my head is spinning. I didn’t realize I needed a degree in mattress construction! I really appreciate the knowledge you all possess and am thankful there is a non-biased (I think?) forum because I really hate the used car mattress salesmen in the showrooms.

I read all the recommended tips and articles, searched the forum and am still not finding what would work best for my needs.

I’d prefer a Bed in a Box company, mainly because of the lengthy trial period, and no hassle returns. I’m already out a few hundred dollars because of the S brand I currently have that’s not that old.

I’ve always preferred FIRM but am shying away from the traditional innerspring like I currently have and opting for a possible pocketed coil and LATEX. Latex because of all the pro’s of latex over memory foam (density, durability, cool factor). I don’t want all latex because of my horrible experience with Tempurpedic.

My choices seem limited because I’m in CANADA. I know several companies ship here but I can’t imagine dealing with the hassle of returning if needed, shipping costs (many are not free to CAD), customs fees, etc etc etc.

I thought I would go with Logan & Cove or Casper. But the L&C has lower density foam (not latex), warranty doesn’t cover until 2" body impressions (which is the highest I’ve seen) and the Casper hybrid seems way too soft.

I know there are local mattress companies like Matelas Selection (I’m in MONTREAL) but they allow one exchange only, 21-45 day trial period, transportation fees. I’m really nervous about shelling out a few thousand bucks and ending up with a sagging mattress and more back pain on day 46.

Cost is not an issue. Not because I’m rich and can afford a $10K mattress but because I have not slept well for the past 7 yrs, have extreme back pain, insomnia, and would sell my soul to the debil for a consistent good night sleep.

So, my question: Are there other reputable BIB companies in CANADA, offering hybrid pocketed coils AND latex, that would meet my needs?

THANK YOU!!!

Hi Lu1968

Have you looked into the Canadian the 14" Lux

I think it may suit your comfort needs, and it comes with 100 night trial and free returns, so it may be just what you’re looking for.

good luck in your search and please keep us posted on what you decide to get,

All the best

Thank you for the info on Haven in Canada. I had only seen that co. in the U.S. On that note, after some research, I came across this post on TMU about Haven:

https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/any-information-haven-mattress

Looks like they use a lot of non-latex material, do not specify the density of said material, and have 2" body impression (same as Logan & Cove) which is according to experts here, very high.

I guess I keep looking…I was really hoping this one would come up with all the necessary specs…boo.

I’m up in Canada too and I just use kinek.com to ship all my stuff to the border and then just drive down to pick it up (looks like there’s a location at the border in VT near you). That way I’m not limited on product availability or subject to excessive shipping costs like we see up here in Canada. I also don’t suggest using a bed in a box because it’s such a hit or miss (zippered mattress cover is key) and often the quality is low by comparison to what you could build for yourself. Key is to get a good foundation (support) then tune the top layers (comfort) to your liking. I ordered my hybrid bed components from APMC and couldn’t be happier. Something to think about anyway.

Thanks for the tips. So you ordered mattress components from a U.S. co., picked them up across the border, strapped them to your car, drove them across the border, unloaded, and then built your mattress? Kudos to you!

Did you have to pay duty on everything? Were you able to get all of the pieces rolled up? Was some of the support pocketed coils?

I could not do this by myself so its really not an option for me. But I’m impressed that you were able to pull it off to get a mattress to your liking.

MFC - I think I may just try a latex topper.

Can you make a recommendation given my size/weight/preferences?

The mattress I’m sleeping on now feels very stiff, as if the pillow top has sunken onto the innersprings. I tried a memory foam topper for the past two years, but it gave out and just sinks completely. I think it was 3".

I’ve never tried latex before and generally like firmness, I don’t want to sink into my bed. I’m afraid going with soft or medium may be too soft for me. But the firm may be too firm given the underlying current mattress issues.

Maybe a 2" medium?

THANK YOU!

Hi Lu1968,

Organic dunlop latex is denser and therefor firmer than Talalay. That’s why we recommend the 20 ILD to most of our clients as they are looking for a soft comfort layer to relieve painful pressure points. It’s important to note that a 2" topper will compress in any firmness as it’s too thin to offer any support. However if you prefer a topper with a firmer feel, then the medium is probably a better option for your comfort preferences.

Did I answer all your question?
Please let me know if you need any further information.

All the Best!
Mario

Yes, I just order the components from the US and have them delivered to the kinek location of my choice. I’ve gotten bed items from both APMC and Sleep on Latex but I order stuff all the time from the US because there’s often a huge price difference even with the exchange rate (usually due to shipping costs). All the bed components now come vacuum packed and/or rolled so you don’t need to worry about strapping anything to the top of your car. The toppers are very easy to fit in literally any vehicle. The mattress spring (pocket coil) foundation was quite a bit larger (it can only be rolled in one direction but not folded, it’s a king bed too) so that needed a pickup to bring back in my case anyway. Once you get to the border on the Canadian side all you do is pay the tax on the purchase price (S&H are not included for taxes) and away you go again. Once I got home I just assembled the new components into my bed. Very simple process once you’ve been through it.

Thanks again for the info. I’m seriously considering now a topper from APMC, because of the price difference. About $170 CAD. How much did you pay in duty? Just trying to get an idea how much that price difference will go down with duty, driving, time, etc. and if its worth the hassle.

There’s no duty on stuff you import at all, all you pay is sales tax (just like you’d have to if you bought something in Canada). Packages where I go for kinek cost $5 each and they will hold them as long as you need (each place is different so call to find out their policy first). I usually buy a bunch of things and send them to the mailbox (kinek) then I go down and pick everything up (saves on time / gas and alot more cost effective). Hope this helps.

Coming back on here to report that I went with a Med. 3" Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress topper from SleepOnLatex.

Welp, that helped for about a month or two. Too hard and yet not enough support. I realize it wasn’t going to fix the underlying mattress problem.

Now, I’m considering just purchasing a latex bed.

Went to visit a local manufacturer but cannot afford almost $4K for a 9’ in Sri Lanka natural organic latex mattress. Ideal, but outrageous price. Top layer is soft (28)ILD , then med (36), hard (44 ILD( at the bottom layer. All layers 3’. Density 5.7 lbs. Cotten/wool cover. FELT HEAVENLY for the 10 mins I layed on it.

But I spent $380 CAD for the topper already.

SO…when I visited Matelas Selection here in Montreal, since the $4k is too much, suggested maybe I go with their 6’ , same as above. And use my topper.

They didn’t seem to want to spend time with me to discuss that option however.

I’m researching this as an option though. I did like that Mateles Selection makes separate layers that you can change out to suit your preference. Having my own topper complicates this and they weren’t sure how it might affect the warranty.

Their 6’ wasn’t as comfortable at trial. They couldn’t tell me the IDL of this one. It’s one block of Sri Lanka latex for $2659.

I’m unlikely to pursue that company. Have to buy a $75 - 109 regular mattress cover from them to get the warranty, even though I have one of my own that covers the entire matress, not. just the top.

Anyhoo, now I have to figure out if I should chuck my almost $400 full size latex topper that I"ve had for a year and get a whole new bed OR try to build my own using that topper as a middle med layer and try to match the $4k mattress I liked. If so, where to get the other layers (Sleep on Latex), cover? Warranty? Changing out layers if needed?

HI Lu1968,

Thank you for reporting back! You could always make your own mattress. Start by adding 3 or 4" of firm organic dunlop latex at the bottom, then placing your medium in the centre and adding 2 or 3" of soft over it and wrapping it all in a Tencel or wool quilted organic cotton cover. You can browse through our DIY mattress section and get an idea of how much this project would cost and decide from there if it’s more cost effective to simply buy a new mattress.

Please keep us posted!

All the best