Charles P. Rogers - how good are they??

Hi everyone - new to this site. Looking for your help.

I know there have been some threads about this company on this site, but was curious to get some fresh opinions from people who have actually purchased and slept on their mattresses, or have had personal experience with the company.

They’ve been around since 1855 (so they say) - that’s pretty impressive, right? Although you really don’t hear much about them.

The website oldbedguy.com loves them.

I am specifically interested in any opinions on the Biltmore or Powercore 5000 mattresses, in terms of support and construction.

Also, how do these mattresses compare in quality to let’s say a Simmons Black label mattress??

Thanks, Billy

Hi simino,

I would be very cautious about using other people’s reviews or experiences on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how suitable a mattress may be for you or the durability of a mattress and in many cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

You may have read some of this but you can see some comments and information about them in post #34 here (and the rest of the topic) and in this topic and a forum search on Charles P Rogers (you can just click the link) will bring up more comments and feedback about them as well.

You can also see some comments about The Old Bed Guy in this topic.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses in post #13 here. As you can see … a mattress is only as good as its suitability for your body type, sleeping positions, and preferences … the durability of the materials inside it … and how it compares to the other mattresses you are considering based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how long they have been in business.

Mattresses will feel different to different people so the only way to meaningfully compare how they feel for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) regardless of how they would compare for anyone else would be based on your own personal testing and experience. The only way to know how they compare in terms of the quality and durability of the materials would be by finding out the specifics of all the materials and components inside both mattresses (see this article). Unfortunately this information won’t be available for the Beautyrest Black (which is one of the reasons I would avoid them and the other major brands completely … see the guidelines here) but hopefully Charles P Rogers will provide you with the information you need to make an informed choice about their mattresses.

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … I would also make sure you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Phoenix