Coil count? What's the mystery? Help me make my final decision

Hi AlisonC37, and welcome to The Mattress Underground :slight_smile:
Glad to have you here!

Sorry to hear of the back pain you are experiencing. As you say, it could be due to sedentary habits, improper posture, or the mattress you are using. Remember all mattresses are unique to the sleepers using it, based on their stats(height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health issues, and their PPP(posture and alignment, pressure relief, and personal preferences). One persons’ idea of firm is too soft for another person this is why its’ best to try out mattresses in person, as you have done, to see what sort of mattress and materials feel most comfortable for you. If you have not done so, you may want to take a look at theMattress Shopping Tutorial, as well as the Mattress Specifications you need to know, and ourMattress Durability Guidelines to get an idea of what to look for when you shop, the various materials and components used, and how different materials hold up over time.

Well done in ruling out the Silk & Snow; the mattress raises no red flags for a lower BMI sleeper, but as you say its ‘too soft’. You should contact a health practitioner if possible, as you say you felt ‘more pronounced misalignment’ on the Silk&Snow – this could indicate more serious issues. Most mattresses will take several weeks to ‘break in’ to see if it is truly comfortable for you, but if you feel sore after only a few minutes, its’ probably not compatible for you.

Another bit of education for you! Many of the ‘big box’ retailers are not transparent about the specifications and details of the materials used in their mattresses, which may indicate excessive amounts of inexpensive low density foams. I agree they make it very hard to make an informed choice when shopping.

Excellent! The salesperson was correct; the gauge and number of coils do not necessarily indicate the firmness of the mattress; The pocket coils provide overall support for the mattress but the comfort and support layers above this are what the sleeper ‘feels’. Both mattresses you listed seem to be good, and a topper should provide additional support if you find you need it. As long as the retailer allows a decent ‘trial period’ over 90 days you should be able to tell if it is supportive enough for you. The Orthopedic Supreme Firm has an additional lumbar support layer; they are both contain CertiPUR certified polyurethane foam and are made in Canada – have you tested out the Orthopedic Supreme? I think at this point its’ entirely a personal preference, as you say you found the support you were looking for when trying out the Prestige. Perhaps other forum members can chime in with their experience with these…Either way it sounds like you have found a great mattress!

~ Basilio