Concerned about negative Amazon reviews related to the smell of SoL latex toppers

After an expansive search I finally felt that I was close to settling on the Luxerion Latex mattress in medium.

I saw their mattress toppers listed on Amazon. We all know the various reasons that mattress and topper reviews are subjective and that no matter what mattress you look at you will see a small percentage of people who claim it is terrible.

My concern with these negative reviews is that a large percentage of them complain specifically about the strong smell of the latex.

Iā€™ve been through a 14" novaform foam mattress from Costco which was like a marshmallow and then a 13 Nectar ā€˜Premierā€™ Hybrid. Both caused lower back pain and were unsuitable.

I was using a cheap $250 14" foam mattress from Amazon for the past 5 years.

I just want to find the right mattress for my 5ā€™7" and 150-190 pound frame back sleeper. I sleep in a twin for the moment, so thatā€™s what need.

1 Like

Hello MattressMio and first time MUGster.

I understand your concern about the smell of new latex and I am quite certain @Latex_Mattress_Fact1 will address those concerns for you when they receive this notification. One of the concerns I have is, the link you provided Amazon above is a link to a Sleep On Latex product, who is not a Trusted Member of the MattressUnderGround.

I am not sure that you like was simply a blip, or you somehow crossed the SoL with LMF.

In any case, sometimes latex does have a noticeable smell initially until aired out and then things should be fine.

I would encourage you to go directly to the LMF site LMF Web-site and as a new MUGster, you can utilize the MUG5 discount code to take advantage of @Latex_Mattress_Fact1 favorable pricing with additional discount of 5%.

This way you can experience the excellent service, advice and follow up you might expect as a @Latex_Mattress_Fact1 customer and a TMU MUGster.

I would comment on your evaluation on a couple of those mattresses you mentioned toward the end of your post, but lets say, your instincts were correct about the quality of the foams being used and the feel and comfort they projected on your body. Quality really does matter, and that is why we are glad you stopped here and became a MUGster.

Norm

Oops, Iā€™m SO sorry. Somehow I managed to get them confused during my endless mattress research.

So the reviews I referenced arenā€™t applicable in any way at all. It would probably be good if a moderator just deletes this because my concerns are unfounded.

A temporary odor is fine. One that lasts months is not. Again my apologies on confusing the two vendors. I only saw a single complaint about persistent odor on a product LMF sells on Amazon.

Is the Luxerion Latex mattress similar in any way to what Iā€™d get if I bought a similar config latex mattress from SleepEZ? I donā€™t think I can afford SleepEZ prices.

Thank you!

1 Like

Fellow MUGster MattressMio,

No worries, I will delete it for you (perhaps the torture chamber first? LOL). Itā€™s ok, sometimes the names of the companies seem to blend together. The MUGsters here know the quality reputation of the Trusted Members but forgive easily as the goal is always to get our MUGsters the best night sleep they can.

As far as @Latex_Mattress_Fact1 vs @Sleep_EZ. So both website are great. I will let them speak here for themselves, but I think you will find @Sleep_EZ does the work regarding prebuilt models, so you only need to provide you PPPā€™s, body profile information, a couple of additional characteristics to land you a perfect match. While @Latex_Mattress_Fact1 has complete mattress systems ready to go, they will walk you step by step with a professional experienced sales person to help you build your own mattress system.

As far as the prices, I dont think @Sleep_EZ prices are out of the park, I would suggest that they are in line with @Latex_Mattress_Fact1 and SoL with mattresses that offer some additional flexibility.

But that story is not for me to tell, I will let @Sleep_EZ and @Latex_Mattress_Fact1 accommodate any questions that you might have.

Good luck with you search and research!
Norm

I donā€™t feel the prices are at all unfair. I am just not able to spend the amount required to get what I really want from SleepEZ, lol. Is there a reason Talalay is not available on the non-organic line? Probably cost related?

I slept the other direction last night on the PoS Nectar and surprisingly I didnā€™t have back pain this morning. Iā€™m sure that will change in a few days. Iā€™m also using a gigantic triangle pillow to elevate my legs that I still have after a previous complete and total dislocation of my right knee cap (ouch).

1 Like

Talalay is generally more expensive due to the additional steps required to produce and due to the process is not considered organic. Only dunlop can be made to a level of being considered organic.
I am not sure about the price range you are considering. I meant to point out that @Sleep_EZ and @Latex_Mattress_Fact1 prices are somewhat close.
For example @Latex_Mattress_Fact1 has the Luxerion Latex mattress shown here in a king Luxerion Latex Mattress Factory for $1295.00 minus another 5% with code MUG5. Which brings it down to $1230. And the hybrid in king is 1049 before the MUG5 or 996.55 with the free pillows. The sleepez hybrid is 1299. before MUG5 discount but is flippable.

So it is important to know the budget, as this mattresses are coming in at just under to just above $1000.00. If you budget is $500. clearly it is not going to reach these, but it is not going to reach any natural latex mattress. If you budget is 800, my suggestion is, to hold tight as long as you can for the extra $200.

I would not recommend you throwing good money towards a bad mattress. Everyone has a budget and a good money manager, stays within their budget.

Hopefully, you will be able to get that mattress of your choice.

All the best,

Norm

Would you like to share the price range you are looking at.

The reality is, that we have MUGsterā€™s post that they had to sleep on the couch because their bed was ā€¦ this or that. They would never consider sleeping on it on a regular basis. I dont doubt a nectar was comfortable for you and anyone else, the issue becomes, how long before it ā€œcraps out.ā€ This is the concern, as you have so eloquently described it.

Knowing your budget, what would be an ideal mattress combo that would fit into your idea of a mattress.

I think Iā€™d do well with an all latex mattress. I donā€™t care about organic and I only need a twin for now so that helps with price.

I think Iā€™d prefer a talalay topper over dunlop. I sleep exclusively on my back so my needs are minimal.

Iā€™m just scared to pull the trigger on this after 2 failures. My worst fear is it stinks or isnā€™t comfortable.

Iā€™d prefer to keep it around $1,000 at most.

Thank you very much.

1 Like

Organic only is available in Dunlop, but dunlop is less expensive. Talalay is more.
The luxerion in a twin xl Luxerion Twin Xl is $725 before discount, I suggest a twin xl, because down the road you can create a split comfort king if you need it. Even if you created your own, Top Medium Talalay 3" $304, and 2 Dunlop 3" medium 199 each before discount) plus the cover
Talalay Latex Mattress Layers $304.00

Talalay Latex Mattress Layers $304.00

Dunlop Latex Mattress Layers $199.00

Twin XL (38 x 80), Medium (28 ILD), 3"

Natural Quilted Cover $235.00

Minus discount is right in your budget, with dunlop support and talalay top comfort layer.
this is a twin xl, which will set you up for a future king, otherwise you can drop down to a standard twin and the price will drop even more!

Just what the doctor ordered!

Norm

1 Like

Unfortunately the bed frame is a limitation so it must be twin.

I sent you a PM w/ some other info.

I think I would rather purchase a mattress package than components in case, god forbid, I have to return it.

I think I may call SleepEZ tomorrow and see if they can possibly do the 13" natural latex mattress in twin with a talalay topper instead of Dunlop at an up charge. Itā€™d be $1,180 with tax after discount if all dunlop. Or maybe the same thing in a 10" which is $100 less.

Iā€™m a little bit worried that 10" may not be thick enough as I have a metal bedframe with 3" spacing between the 21? metal slats. Also 13" is only $100 more.

I just really want this to work. Though my first two purchases were not well researched decisions so that was a factor.

Do you have a guess as to when someone from SleepEZ or LMF might be able to respond? Iā€™m not in a rush at the moment, but if I wake up with back pain again I may be, lol.

If 13" Iā€™m thinking X-firm, Firm, Med & Med.
If 10" Firm, Med & Med.

Anyway, thx again!

I have gotten in touch with both trusted members mentioned and they should be responding shortly. As we have gotten the ball rolling on your behalf.

Good luck with it

Norm

Keep us posted !

Hello MattressMio! Thank you for reaching out with your inquiries!

Based on the information youā€™ve generously provided, I am highly confident that a three 3" layer mattress will more than suffice for achieving overall comfort. The organic 10" model stands out as our best-seller, primarily due to the inclusion of Talalay latex as the top layer. Talalay, being a softer and less dense foam compared to Dunlop, serves as an excellent top surface layer, offering remarkable pressure relief. Dunlop, on the other hand, is a heavier and denser foam, making it ideal for support beneath. The combination of these two foam types is what makes the Organic mattress line exceptionally popular.

We typically recommend the 10" model for individuals weighing less than 300lbs. The three-layer configuration is ideal, providing a pressure-relief layer on top, a transition layer in the middle, and a support layer at the bottom. Our density recommendations are primarily based on weight and primary sleeping positions. For someone weighing around 150lbs (up to approximately 185lbs) and primarily a back sleeper, we suggest a Soft Talalay over Medium Dunlop over Firm Dunlop configuration. This setup ensures the soft Talalay provides the necessary contour pressure relief for side and back sleeping, while the medium and firm Dunlop layers below offer gradual but ample support.

Both our Natural and Organic mattress lines come with a 90-day comfort exchange policy. This means that if you decide to exchange any layer for a different firmness within 90 days, you can do so one at a time. We charge shipping for each exchange, with the first exchange incurring a flat $30 fee and subsequent exchanges incurring the cost of shipping each way (typically $30 to $60 each way, depending on location).

If you have additional questions, feel free to reach out at any time! You can also contact us by phone seven days a week at 480-966-8731. Thanks again, and have a wonderful evening!

1 Like

Thank you! I just wanted to clarify why my Nectar is SO bad.

I purchased the Nectar from Amazon because it was $200 cheaper than their site.

Unfortunately the Nectar ā€˜Premierā€™ Hybrid I received was manufactured in Aug of 2022 in Mexico according to the tag . I live in Texas.

So it spent 17 months rolled up in the box in a warehouse before I received it on Jan 11th. I unpacked it one day after it arrived.

Both ends are crushed to varying degrees and the foam is clearly also damaged because I canā€™t even get two nights sleep on it.

In addition to all that they didnā€™t even put the materials in the casing properly. It was off to the side by a full 2 inches at one end.

I took pictures of all this and thankfully Amazon gave me a full refund, one time only.

I sleep exclusively on my back. I literally never ever sleep on my side. I go to bed and then wakeup in the exact same spot.

I should note that itā€™s common for me to sleep as long as ten hours a night.

Will the mattress be suitable for laying in bed all day for a week or two straight after surgery?

I will find out my current weight. I know itā€™s definitely above the 145 I was approximately 6 months ago. Itā€™ll go back down once I recover from a knee injury that limits my mobility.

Is there any significant or lasting odor from the latex?

Is there any difference with odor in regards to the natural or organic lines?

Thank you.

MattressMio,

I know this is going to sound harsh, but from what all my friends have told me about the nectar they returned (they did not listen in the first place) and what folks have said here and on other forums. The synthetic nectar could have been rolled up for 17 minutes in the box fresh off the assembly line. It is just not a great quality mattress especially compared to a natural latex mattress. It is one of those mattresses that might feel good for a n
New York minute and is going to fail you expectations in the long run. That does not mean that the Sleepez, LMF or eva a 400k Hastenā€™s is going to be the best thing you have ever lied on. What it means it that when quality materials such as those used by @Sleep_EZ and @Latex_Mattress_Fact1 and many of those from our other of trusted members, you are getting the best quality products to give your body the best fighting chance to feel the best it can be. You get durability, quality and on top of it, good customer service.

Folks from our trusted members list, live, breath and sleep bedding and have a vested interest in getting it right and making you happy. There are real people and owners behind those words that were just written to you, by @Sleep_EZ. They take your comfort seriously. It is not just a marketing game.

When you buy a mattress like a synthetic Nectar or dreamcloud (same company by the way) you never know where the products are sourced and to what standard. You mentioned it was manufactured in Mexico. Funny, most of their foams are made in China and in the Asian markets, by various manufacturers. Which is why one of the most common complaints is that they rarely feel the same as the one in the showroom. I am not looking to beat up on them specifically. The market today is full of them.

When Dunlop is certified organic, that means there are very little additional chemicals added to the process, which is necessary, to produce it. Talalay needs a small amount of products mixed in to create the final product after baking and freezing and so on to produce it. But the product is identifiable, natural, longer lasting, and more durable, and quite frankly not that much more costly in the scheme of things.

You will be making a wise choice with your sleepez mattress and it will offer you years of service if you choose to allow it.

I wish you well with your decision, and please follow up here and let us know your experience.

Norm

1 Like

Iā€™m going to go into the Houston Texas Mattress Makers showroom and lie down on their 10" firm latex mattress to make sure that latex is suitable for me before I buy anything. Iā€™ll probably smell it too, lol.

This is the metal box spring that I am using. Is it sufficient for a latex mattress?

Iā€™ll make sure to update the thread and let everyone know what I bought and how I like it. Though it may take a little time.

Usually anything 3" or less between slats should work, but it is not whether it works or not, it is whether the manufacturer you purchase from states it is within their guidelines. I tend to prefer wooden slats, but check with whoever you purchase the mattress from, as every manufacturer may have different requirements. Similar Box Spring
I just put together one like this for my mother in law as she had a semi flex 8" and due to an ailment we needed to move to a 4" high box. I was actually impressed that it was a reasonably decent box. Not as good as a @mattressfoundations all wood box, but it definitely helped her. But as I mentioned it is about following the manufacturers guidelines.

Also, be cautious about smelling the mattress. I have a few all 100% natural Talalay and Dunlop pillows and they have no noticeable smell at all. So what you may get from one of our Trusted Members and what someone else is selling, may not be the same. From a very ā€œgeneral standpointā€ you can get the feel of latex, say vs memory foam, but you have to know what they are using and where it was sourced from. How tight the knit cover it and so on. Any one of the Trusted Members will explain when you purchase how your sheets, materials and how they fit can affect the feel of your mattress system.

Good luck with your choice.

Norm

1 Like

I think the odds of a purchase at TMM are low because the price is just way too high for me. Comparatively APM sells an all natural 100% Talalay twin for about 1k, though it is 9" of latex and not 10". Iā€™m not sure if that matters.

TMM says theirs is all Talalay with a 2" soft, 2" med and a 6" firm core. Iā€™m sure there is another store with dunlop latex in these parts.

Iā€™m finishing Bills v Chiefs from yesterday before I venture too far on the internet and spoil it.

I can always go to the hardware store and get a piece of plywood to put on top the metal slats if needed. TMM is also a trusted member according to the directory.

1 Like

Yes, TMM is a Trusted Member. You do what is best for you when taking everything into consideration. No one can fault you for that. Everyone has a budget, and it is important to stick to it. Whatever you do, weigh all the factors out, so you are not doing this again in a year or two, and then look back and say, only if I ā€¦

Best of luck to you,
Norm

Hello again MattressMio!

When you purchase a brand new latex mattress or topper, there may likely be a faint odor when you first receive it. Itā€™s essential to note that this scent will fade with time as your mattress is used. The natural odor may be a bit stronger for those who have smell sensitivities in general.

Most feedback we get as it pertains the natural odor of latex on the whole, is that it has a light vanilla scent. Latex mattresses donā€™t have the same chemical odor as polyurethane and memory foam mattresses.

It might take up to two months for the fresh scent of natural latex mattresses to fade.

This is because they are manufactured with natural components, which may require time to eliminate any odors from production and shipment. Allowing the mattress to breathe will speed up the process.

Latex mattresses are manufactured from tree sap and are plant-based. They contain a mild scent, as do many natural goods, which are pleasant to most and can be unpleasant to some.

The method by which a latex mattress is manufactured contributes to its odor. To begin, natural latex sap is whipped into a froth before being put into a mattress mold. Some cooked latex proteins in the sap generates a moderate odor.

Soon after the mattress is finished, it is packed and ready for shipment. Most manufacturers simply cannot afford to let the hundreds, if not thousands of layers of latex they receive from their suppliers to air out for more than a few weeks due mainly to lack of time and warehouse space.

This means that most latex foam is shipped out very fresh, without being able to air out for an extended period of time.

This might create the impression that natural latex mattresses have a strong odor because it smells the strongest when first opened.

However, once your mattress has been unpacked, you can just let it breathe to naturally and safely eliminate the scent of the bed.

There are several methods for reducing the odor of your natural latex mattress. However, removing odors from latex foam must be done with caution to avoid damaging your mattress.

Allowing a natural latex mattress to breathe is the safest method to reduce its fragrance. When the mattress is not in use during the day, leave the quilted zipper cover unzipped and pulled away, exposing the latex foam to the surrounding air. Some individuals opt to crack open their bedroom window while the latex is exposed, enabling the room to ventilate. This approach safely minimizes any associated odors without the use of harmful chemicals or artificial perfumes.

Make certain, however, that no sunlight penetrates the exposed latex foam. This can cause discoloration and the premature drying out of the foam. Natural latex is extremely resilient and may last 15+ years with proper maintenance. Excessive exposure to sunlight will degrade the foam.

Thanks again for all of your inquiries! Please donā€™t hesitate to reach out should you have additional questions. Happy mattress hunting!

1 Like

Thank you for that very thorough explanation! I am going to save it and us it as my stock answer! Thank you very much!

Maverick (AKA Norm)