Deciding on latex...new....NEED HELP!

So, we are replacing an old spring mattress. We have decided on latex. I am 5 8’ 130lbs, stomach/side sleeper. Hubs is 5 10’ 170 lbs, stomach/side sleeper. We tried a savvy rest today and liked all Dunlop latex layers in firm, soft, then medium. The rep said they are having a deal where if we buy before end of oct we get a wool mattress cover, two pillows and then she adds two more (4 pillows total).
Price was $2499, no tax, no shipping. 20 year warranty, no return, exchange only - we pay shipping. We like the split mattress ability but not sure if it is necessary for us.

I’m totally overwhelmed with online options. I’ve looked at sleep EZ and foam sweet foam. They seem good but I’m not sure…I could use help narrowing this down. We would love to pay less that $2500. What are some reputable online options we should look at? We also really like the pillows and would love to be able to get free/affordable latex pillows as well.

Also, does our soft, firm, medium make up sound right for us?

Hi Tubalubs,

The first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

There is also more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

The tutorial post also includes this link to a list of the members here that sell mattresses online and many of them sell component latex mattresses that use different types of latex and have many different options, features, designs, and return/exchange policies that I would also consider if you are considering an online purchase. Several of them make latex mattresses that are very similar in terms of the materials and components to the Savvy Rest latex mattresses. Post #3 here may be helpful as well.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix,

I think I’ve narrowed it down to flexus, foam sweet foam and sleep EZ and savvy rest. I plan on calling them tomorrow to get better info and ask some questions. After that, I will likely be posting again for some advice :slight_smile:

This forum is ridiculously awesome by the way.

Hi Tubalubs,

You are certainly looking at some great options and I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any questions I can help with after your conversations.

Thanks for the kind words :slight_smile:

Phoenix

So, I called all the companies today. Sleep EX, flexus and foam sweet foam were all close for an all organic, his/her split, 3 layer Dunlop queen mattress (including 2 pillows and a wool pad). Flexus was a smidge more expensive because I would have to buy a mattress pad and pillows elsewhere (we want to get two pillows as well). Savvy rest was about $500 more expensive, so I think we have ruled them out…is there a reason they are so much more expensive? Am I missing something?

Anyway, the main differences I can find are exchange/return policies and warranties.from what I’ve read on here, warranty shouldn’t really be that big of a deciding factor. Are the quality of sleep EZ and foam sweet foam comparable?

I’m leaning toward sleep EZ because if seems they have a great reputation here and they seem to have the least hassle for an exchange/return process.

My question is what layering make up to purchase. We tried and enjoyed a firm/soft/medium Dunlop on savvy rest…will this translate at all to a sleep EZ mattress? I’m 5 8, 130lbs, hubs is 5 10, 160 lbs. we are both stomach/side sleepers.

Any insight is much appreciated…thanks

Hi Tubalubs,

There would be a reason but if you are comparing apples to apples in terms of the same type of latex and components then it would be more about their business model and the other factors that can be involved in how any business prices their products than anything to do with the mattress itself (see here). They also sell through dealers rather than selling factory direct.

If you are comparing the same type and blend of latex then they would be the same quality/durability yes although FSF (and Savvy Rest) uses organic Dunlop and SleepEZ uses 100% natural Dunlop. There is more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

When you can’t test a mattress in person … the best source of guidance for comfort choices is a more detailed phone conversation with the manufacturer themselves who will know more about their own mattresses than anyone else and can help “talk you through” the options they have available that have the best chance of “matching” different body types, sleeping styles, and preferences based on the “averages” of their customers that are similar to you (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). For most people this will be “close enough” that any further fine tuning that may be needed can be done by rearranging layers or with a layer exchange.

You are certainly looking at some great options and any one of them would be a qreat quality/value purchase and when you are down to final choices that are between “good and good” and there are no clear winners between them then your final choice (see post #2 here) will really be a matter of “best judgement” based on your conversations with each of them and all the objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix

So apparently I misunderstood the info I got regarding sleep EZ…I thought it was organic Dunlop, but I guess I was wrong…I’ll call him back today to clarify for sure. My husband really wants organic…I was leaning toward sleep EZ, but that may change things if they aren’t organic. How big of a deal is the organic vs natural Dunlop as far as chemicals and off-gassing, etc? does it make a difference as far as how healthy/safe the mattress is for a person?

I also need to see if FSF charges extra for their his/hers/split layers.

My husband and I ideally want split layers (for more options), organic, 3-3 inch layers of Dunlop, a wool mattress pad, and 2 shredded latex pillows for a reasonable price (around $2k), and a decent exchange/refund policy (just in case).

Are there any companies that fit this bill?

Also, do companies who take returns and exchanges then turn around a sell those same layers to new customers?
Thanks

Hi Tubalubs,

You can read more about organic latex in post #6 here. There is no meaningful difference between organic latex and 100% natural latex in terms of safety or the feel and performance of the latex.

They don’t have an extra charge for split layers.

[quote]My husband and I ideally want split layers (for more options), organic, 3-3 inch layers of Dunlop, a wool mattress pad, and 2 shredded latex pillows for a reasonable price (around $2k), and a decent exchange/refund policy (just in case).

Are there any companies that fit this bill?[/quote]

The link I posted in my previous reply includes the online sources that would fit your mattress criteria and if organic Dunlop is important to you then I would make sure that you specify that you want organic Dunlop in your mattress (vs 100% natural Dunlop) because for the ones that don’t normally use organic Dunlop it may be available as an option. Some of them may also have shredded latex pillows available either as part of a purchase or separately and they may also have wool mattress protectors available as well (see post #89 here) but you can also purchase these separately.

[quote]Also, do companies who take returns and exchanges then turn around a sell those same layers to new customers?
Thanks [/quote]

Not if they are reputable companies no.

Phoenix

Is there a discount for sleep EZ related to mattress underground? How do we apply it?

Hi Tubalubs,

Yes … they have a 5% rebate for the members of the forum on all their mattresses except their special. All you need to do is let them know that you are a member here when you talk with them to place your order.

Phoenix