Decision On New Latex Mattress

With the decision to buy a new mattress, I decided to go with a latex mattress. I went to a local retailer to try out some of the brands and found that the OMI (Organicpedic) Lago (Nouveau) seems to be what I wanted for a bed. Due to it’s price, I wanted to look for an alternative choice that had a similar set up feature as the Lago (Nouveau). This is the set up for the Lago and I would like to use it as a reference in finding a similar mattress.
Lago (Nouveau):
6" core support
3.5" comfort sculpted layer
cotton wool knitted cover
Total depth 10.5"
Firmness: Medium
The info I got from reading some of Phoenix posts is that the core of the Lago is around 25-29 ILD and the comfort layer being around 20-24 ILD scupted making it a bit softer.
Some of the choice I found was the Bedinabox Purity Natural Latex Mattress and the Sleep Ez Organic Latex 10K.
Bedinabox Purity Natural Latex Mattress:
Total depth 9.5"
6" core 23 ILD
3" support layer (medium 19 ILD) (firm 31 ILD)
1/2" cotton cashmere wool cover

Sleep Ez Organic Latex 10K
Total depth 10"
Three 3" customizable layer
cotton wool quilted cover

Now I do sleep in different positions but mainly side and back sometimes stomach as well. So I do think a medium mattress would suit best. Would a 19 ILD be too soft? and the 31 ILD be a bit too firm for me? What would you recommend as the set up for the Sleep Ez? It has options for medium-firm-extra firm, what would be the ILD for those options? I’m leaning toward the Sleep Ez as it offers a better options and pricing compared to the BedinaBox Purity line plus 2 king size pillow along with the purchase… As a side question with a mattress being customizable does it differ in terms of feel with let say other latex mattress with the 2 layers glued together? Thanks.

Hi Ken,

I’m not sure where you read this but it certainly doesn’t seem correct to me. OMI (Organicpedic) doesn’t provide the specific ILD’s for the layers in their mattresses but there are some comments in post #2 here about the Lago Nouveau here that are probably “in the ballpark” if the mattress includes Talalay (the “N” numbers are firmness ratings for 100% natural Talalay made by Latex International) although I certainly wouldn’t count on them being correct. There are also some comments about the Lago in post #8 here. It would also be different if you were testing the Lago Nouveau with organic Dunlop.

ILD is also only one factor in how soft or firm a layer feels or performs and ILD is also not directly comparable between different types and blends of latex. You can read more about trying to “match” one mattress to another in post #9 here and more about some of the other specs that are just as important as ILD in post #2 here. The extra 1/2" and the convoluting in the top layer of the Lago Nouveau along with any differences in the cover and quilting materials could also make a significant difference in how they would compare to the SleepEZ mattresses.

[quote]Bedinabox Purity Natural Latex Mattress:
Total depth 9.5"
6" core 23 ILD
3" support layer (medium 19 ILD) (firm 31 ILD)
1/2" cotton cashmere wool cover[/quote]

The BIAB uses 100% natural continuous pour Dunlop made by Mountaintop foam and their ILD numbers aren’t comparable to the ILD numbers of most other types and blends of latex and I certainly wouldn’t rely on them as a way to “match” one mattress to another.

There is more about the different ways to choose the most suitable mattress (locally and online) that can help you assess and minimize the risks involved in making a choice that isn’t as suitable for you as you hoped for with each of them in post #2 here and when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specific options they have available based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences than anyone else and they would also be the best source of guidance about which of the options they have available would be the closest “approximation” to another mattress but you would need to know the correct specs which may not be possible with OMI mattresses.

It would depend on the specifics of the layers in the two mattresses you were comparing (type and blend of latex, layer thicknesses, and layer ILD’s) but here is more about multiple layers vs a single layer of the same thickness in post #2 here and there is more about glued vs loose layers in post #15 here.

Phoenix