Decisions, Decisions

Phoenix:

Please help us decide, we have begun the process of researching mattresses and will be purchasing one soon at $1000-1500 price range:

I am leaning toward the Brooklyn Bedding - Bamboo Bliss - but of course you can not touch/feel/test the mattress and we are nervous that we won’t like it once we get it.

My husband is leaning toward the PranaSleep Vinyasa Plush. We can not afford this brand new so the sales person (very nice and fairly knowledgeable…albeit a bit convincing) offered one of these mattresses as a previous customer return (they call it a sleep guarantee return) that has been used by another customer and returned before 30-60 day trial period expires. These are clean, disinfected and have a full warranty and are within our budget. The reason for return is undisclosed but usually because they went with a softer or firmer mattress. I have included the specs below:

Quilt layers:
Polyester rayon knit cover with Outlast
FR Fibers
3/4" 2.5LB Soft poly foam
1" 1.5LB Soft poly foam
1" 1.5LB Soft poly foam

Comfort Layers:
1" PranaSleep Performance Latex
1" PranaSleep Performance Latex

Support System layers:
6" PranaSleep Performance Core
Talalay process
BOTTOM UPHOLSTERY (Below Core)
1" 1.45LB Firm poly foam

Mattress Type
Latex

I think the draw for my husband is you can feel/touch/test the PranaSleep mattress and it is a full latex core and the Bamboo Bliss is foam core with latex and we have no ability to see it in person.

Thank you!!

Hi jjklentils,

The first place to start your research is the tutorial post here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices … and know how to avoid the ones that are more risky.

Brooklyn Bedding is one of the invited members of this site which means that I believe they compete well with the best in the country in terms of quality, value, and service. They are well worth talking to about which of their mattresses or which comfort option may be the most suitable choice for you.

You can read more about the Prana mattresses in post #3 here and this thread and I would be very cautious with these because they use thicker layers of polyfoam on top of the latex so you would be feeling polyfoam as much or more than the latex and they could also be a “weak link” in the mattress (I would tend to avoid one sided mattresses with more than about an inch or so of lower quality/density polyfoam in the top layers).

They are also in a more premium price range than other “mostly latex” mattresses that may be available to you either locally or online.

Phoenix