DIY Build - Layer thickness and density question

Our existing memory foam mattress is about 8 years old and its sunk in so bad I feel like I’m sleeping in a crater lately. I’ve had lower back pain for years now and am looking for something with some good lower back support.

I am 6’ tall, 170lbs. Wife is 5’7", 120lbs. We are both combination back and side sleepers.

I’m considering the Combi-Zone Pocket Coil base as it appears to provide extra support in the middle which I’m hoping will help with my lower back.

The latex layers are where I’m needing some assistance. My wife and I both want a mattress that isn’t too soft where we sink in and its difficult to roll over, but also don’t want it too firm. So I was thinking of getting 2 Talalay Latex layers – one latex “medium” layer and one latex “soft” layer, thinking that if we find the medium too firm that we could switch the order of the layers. Is this an advisable strategy? Also, what thickness of layers would be recommended, is there an advantage of going with two 3" vs 2" layers, or a combination of both 2" and 3"? I would like the height of the mattress to be somewhere in the 13-15" range so. My thought right now is the combi-zone base with two 3" talalay latex layers (one medium, one soft… or should we go with one firm, one medium?)

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

I think I may have answered you on a different platform earlier today however if not then I would advise in either a 2" soft and 2" medium or better yet would be 3" of each. Either way you will have the choice as to which one works best on top. One firm and one medium would be better for someone much heavier than either of you.

See ya!!

Hi Ntoni.

You will stop, because we do not allow this kind of abusive behavior on The Mattress Underground. We do not exist for you to harass our Trusted Members and hijack informative threads. You are banned and blocked from using The Mattress Underground.

NikkiTMU