DIY for fat sleepers

Oh boy am I glad I found you! I have been poring over this site and finally came across your profile. I’m so happy to see a retailer on this site that focuses on mattresses for fat people. I’ll make it short and sweet. Can you please help us put together a DIY mattress and provide the specs for each of the elements? We are willing to pay a bit more for something that will be comfortable, even luxurious, and durable.

Sleeper 1:
mid-50s woman
5’4"
325#
Sleeps in many positions and prefers cooler temp
Slight hip pain/sciatica. Current mattress leaves me achy in lower back and a little bit like I’m in quicksand or drowning. .
Don’t like the feeling of memory foam, but do enjoy a little plushiness with good support

Sleeper 2:
mid-50s, woman
5’7"
180#
Side sleeper and hot sleeper
No aches or pains
Medium/medium firm

We are thinking a split king would be good.

Thanks for you time!

Hello Heyali

Thank you kindly for reaching out to us!

Based on the information you have provided, I recommend four 3" layers of latex encased in a zipper cover. I would also recommend ordering your layers to be split so that you can customize each side to accommodate individual comfort needs. For sleeper one I suggest a 3" Medium Talalay over a 3" Firm Dunlop over 3" XFirm Dunlop over 3" XFirm Dunlop (M/F/XF/XF). The 3" medium Talalay on top will provide much needed pressure relief for side and/or back sleeping. Talalay is a more open-celled foam compared to Dunlop, therefore will not only provide more contour and pressure relief, but it also sleeps a bit cooler due to the cells allowing for more breathability. Dunlop latex is a bit denser, heavier and therefore firmer, and will provide gradual support that is needed below.
For sleeper two I recommend a 3" Soft Talalay over 3" Medium Dunlop over 3" Firm Dunlop over 3" XFirm Dunlop configuration (S/M/F/XF). The soft Talalay on top will provide the pressure relief needed for someone at 180lbs, while the Dunlop layers below offers gradual support.
This setup allows you to unzip your mattress cover and rearrange the layers within to change the feel if need be. We offer a one-time 30-day layer exchange for a flat $45 ship fee should you decide to exchange any one of your comfort layers (you can exchange two split layers at once as well). We are available 7 days a week from 10am to 6pm MST should you ever need assistance or need comfort advice once you have ordered your mattress.

Thanks again! Please don’t hesitate to call our office anytime should you have additional questions. Have a wonderful day!

Latex Mattress Factory
1-800-637-0872