DIY for side sleeper and stomach sleeper

Hello APM!

I’m looking to put together a king-size DIY hybrid from APM. I’m a 6-foot, 200lb side sleeper (a little on the back if I can keep from snoring) and my spouse is 5’8 130lb stomach sleeper. Based on the various discussions here, I was considering the following build (layer by layer):

8 inch QE elite bolsa
2 inch Dunlop firm (34-38)
3 inch blended Talalay (28 ILD)
13-inch king bamboo cover

I want to make sure the set up is firm enough for my spouse, but trying to see if I can also get a little give for my side sleeping. Should I instead go with the medium 2 inch Dunlop? Or would it be better to go up to a 3 inch dunlop (medium or firm)? DIY is a bit overwhelming, so I appreciate any insight you have! Thank you!

Based on your info I think you would be better off with 2" Medium Dunlop instead of Firm. This will give you a little more cush for side sleeping yet still be firm enough for her at her weight.

1 Like

Thank you! In your opinion would there be a noticeable benefit to going to a 3" medium dunlop instead of the 2"? Should I conisder some kind of base layer to add under the innersprings? If so, what would you suggest? And if it’s appropriate to ask in this forum, what would be the estimated shipping time for this configuration? Thanks for your input, it is very helpful.

It would be barely noticeable. Right now we are swamped with orders pushing us out to around 2 1/2 weeks lead time.

Two and half week lead time probably works for us, since we have to wait for the bed to get delivered. So it sounds like a 2" inch dunlop layer and 3" talalay is the way to go. Thanks

I also wanted to follow up about whether you think I need to provide some kind of base layer under the coils? And if so, if you had recommendations?

Thanks again

Not necessary to put anything underneath the coils

I’m hoping you’ll field another question. I’m reconsidering the latex layers for my build. Instead of going with 2 inch dunlop in medium and 3 inch natural talalay (medium) on top, I’m wondering if it might be better to go with 3 inch dunlop in medium and then go with a 2 inch natural talalay (soft) on top? in addition to being a side sleeper I also have recurring lower back/soaz band pain issues, and I’ve always steered clear of anything labeled “soft.” But I’m wondering if the combination of 8 inch quantum coil and 3 inch medium dunlop layer will create a firm enough base that I can rely on the “soft” 2 inch talalay layer to help avoid pressure points from side sleeping? It sounds like my much lighter stomach sleeping spouse should still be okay with the “soft” top?

Based on the above, would you recommend sticking with two medium layers, or trying the soft on top of the medium? Thanks for any additional input.

Soft on top for sure. Unlike memory foam, latex will push back providing support in the lower back area even in the Soft.

1 Like

Thanks Ken. So I’m thinking that I will do the following build:

1 inch HD foam (2.6lb) base
8 inch QEE bolsa
3 inch medium natural dunlop
2 inch plush natural talalay

With me at 200lb (plus at times), I’m hoping the 2 inch plush talalay will work for me, because if we add a 3 inch talalay, the 15 inch mattress may be a bit too thick for normal king size fitted sheets.

Or, if the mattress is going to be on a slatted platform bed, do you think I can forgo the hd foam base, which would give me space to go up to the 3 inch plush talalay? I’ve read that some think the dense foam base can help with coil stability.

And finally, does wool/bamboo mattress cover add additional height to the mattress? By that, I mean, if you buy a 14 mattress cover, does that mean it can fit 14 inches of layer, but overall height would actually be 14.5 or 15 inches? I just want to make sure I know how thick the final mattress build is going to be. Thanks for fielding all these questions. We’re going to pull the trigger on the purchase in the next week (assuming I can nail everything down). Thanks again.

1 Like

I would scrap the HD foam and go 3" on the plush. 14" of material equals a 14" cover and the bamboo cover will add 1" to the total height coming in at 15".

1 Like

Thanks again, Ken.

Additional question. Is it possible to get one half of a natural talalay 3 inch king topper plush and the other half medium? Or would we need to buy two twin xls? Thanks again.

Yes, just choose one or the other and add to cart. During checkout look for the Comment Section where you will write “Please Make Topper Half Medium and Half Plush”

2 Likes

Thanks again, Ken. I hope you’ll stick with me a little longer as I’ve twisted myself up into knots with how to build our mattress. Just to repeat our stats:

Me: 6 foot and 205/220 (carrying it more and more in the gut, sigh…)

• side sleeper (due to snoring), but naturally a back sleeper
  • recurring lower back/soaz band pain (muscle/nerve(?) issues, spine is structurally sound)

Her: 5’ 8" and a fit 130

• stomach sleeper (a little on the side)

We’ve been sleeping on an old (very firm) innerspring that works for her, but is not terribly comfortable as I’ve adapted to side sleeping (shoulder is probably the area that is most uncomfortable. That said, I think I’m better off erring on the side of too firm, as soft (unsupporting) beds absolutely wreck my lower back as I sink in too much and strain myself rolling over.

I’ve been going back and forth about whether to use the combi-zone or QE Bolsa as the base. I know you’ve said here that the zones don’t seem to work for side sleepers, but I’m concerned that the QE bolsa may be too conforming/soft. So I’ve likely galaxy-brained two alternative builds that utilize the same latex layers.

1. Use the Bolsa coils, then layer on a 3 inch firm natural talalay, then add 2 inch layer of soft (20 - 24 ild) natural talalay.

or

1. Use combi-zone, then layer on a 3 inch firm natural talalay, then add 2 inch layer of soft (20 - 24 ild) natural talalay.

Any insights your could offer based on the above would be appreciated. And if you have an alternative build you think might work based on our stats, I’d be even more appreciative.The bottom line is we’re upsizing from a queen to a king bed, and I’d love to use the opportunity to try to upgrade our sleep experience (which hasn’t been too bad even with a pretty basic old mattress). And we ordered the new bed, so my significant other is telling me it’s time to get busy ordering. Thank you for essentially being my mattress therapist!

1 Like

Your latex choices sound good but I can’t tell you which coil will work better. I’ve pointed out that the zoning does not work as well for side sleeping as non zoned so I don’t know where else to go with this.

Thanks. I think at one point when L&G was still making the 6 inch bolsa coils, you estimated on TMU that they were 8 out of 10 on firmness scale (combi was 8.5). Where would you estimate the 8 inch bolsa? Thank you!

The 8" are in the 6-7 range.

1 Like

Sorry for the late followup, but if I order the king and ask for one side to medium and one side firm, do you ship two twin xl pieces or will you glue the medium and firm together to form one king-sized layer? Thanks

Sorry for the late followup, but if I order the king topper and ask for one side to medium and one side firm, do you ship two twin xl pieces or will you glue the medium and firm together to form one king-sized layer? Thanks

@Arizona_Premium

We bond them together as one piece