DIY Hybrid Latex- Need Help

I’ve been doing lots of research but I wanted to get someone’s advice on my personal situation. I’m 6’ 185 lbs with broad shoulders and usually a side sleeper but I have shoulder pain if I try to sleep that way on my current mattress so I’ve been sleeping on my back or stomach. My wife is 5’2" and usually sleeps on her side but sometimes on her back because she has acid reflux and needs to elevate her head if it acts up. Our current mattress is a innerspring but that’s about all I know about it because her father gave it to us but I’m assuming its a firm pillowtop.

I want to try something softer but can’t pull the trigger because the DIY route is a little daunting. Based on what I’ve read I think we want to try a hybrid and I was going to try:

Top to bottom
3" Soft latex topper (not sure if I want to do Talalay or Dunlop)
8" Quantum Edge Elite Bolsa Coils
1" HD36-HQ Foam (maybe not necessary?)

This mattress cover

I was also considering a 2" medium latex transition and a 2" soft latex topper instead of the single 3" layer. Again not sure if I should do Dunlop, Talalay, or a combination of both. If someone can provide some input as to whether or not this sounds appropriate for me I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

the 3 inch latex plus 8 inch coils is a pretty common setup, and a lot of people seem to be happy with it. I’d say go for that. If something is not quite right, you can switch to either a higher ILD latex , or you could try the two 2 inch layers.

For talalay vs dunlop, you could probably get samples from a manufacturer like SleepEZ or Latex Mattress Factory.