DIY Latex Configuration Suggestions

Good evening,

I need help from the experts to decide which configuration I should land on for a diy latex mattress. I am 5’11 257 but looking to be around 200-220 later in the year. I am looking at a 9in build using 3 3in layers and have pretty much decided on using a medium (28ish ild) layer on top but undecided on going with Dunlop or Talalay here. According to the SleepEz calculator, they recommend from bottom to top, ExtraFirm/Firm/Medium at my current weight. If I change the weight to 249 it recommends Firm/Medium/Medium.

My sourcing ideas:
If Dunlop as a top layer would work better for me, Latex Mattress Factory offers this configuration as a complete mattress. If Talalay would work better for me, I am considering sourcing the Medium and Firm layers from Sleep On Latex or all through Latex Mattress Factory. The Sleep On Latex to my understanding is a little firmer for these layers.

Probably important context:
I have had my Sleep On Latex medium mattress for a few weeks, (Firm/Medium/Soft) and I believe it’s too firm and too soft at the same time. I get lower back pain within a few minutes laying on my back and when side sleeping my hand goes numb along with some shoulder pain. I tend to sleep in all 3 positions. Flipping the mattress over did help my lower back pain if that helps but impossible to side sleep on. They are recommending I exchange for a Firm + a medium topper but I’m worried that will be too firm and I will get stuck with an uncomfortable mattress. With my weight, I hear the softer latex won’t be durable and may last only 3 years so it’s why I would like to make a configuration with a medium top layer so it’s more durable.

I spoke with SleepEz today and the guy recommended me Medium(D)/ExtraFirm(D)/Medium(T) and then when I drop under 250, to put the extra firm on the bottom. I would like to know what the experts here would recommend after hearing such good reviews about this forum.

Thank you in advance

Hi diyhelp,

Welcome to the Mattress UnderGround and joining as a new MUGster.

I’d suggest collaborating with @Latex_Mattress_Fact1 on this matter. They’re seasoned experts in the field and specialize in it. While calculators can be helpful, LMF’s accuracy rate surpasses 90% and they offer hybrid options if needed.

Their approach is user-friendly, and as you’ve already discovered with SoL, the true test lies in sleeping on the mattress to assess its viability and comfort.

At the end of the day, sticking with a single vendor might prove more convenient and reliable. Latex mattresses are exceptionally durable, though durability concerns typically arise when the ILD dips below 14.

It’s concerning that your current mattress is causing lower back pain and discomfort. It’s possible that the firmness levels aren’t quite right for your body type and sleep positions. The suggestion to exchange for a Firm + medium topper might indeed make the mattress too firm for your liking. If you’re open to it, you could try experimenting with different configurations or consider exchanging for a different mattress altogether.

While I am not one to hastily suggest returning a mattress and starting from scratch, you may find you have more options with @Latex_Mattress_Fact1 over the long haul as your needs change.

I am truly sorry the SoL has not worked out and perhaps several changes may help, but you may not want to wait beyond their return window to find out.

It is a tough decision, but everyone has that gut instinct inside them. Here is where it will come in handy.

All the best,

Maverick

Hi DIYhelp and welcome to the forums and thanks for the inquiry! Since I work for both Sleep EZ and Latex Mattress Factory, I have to agree that you’d probably be best off with Medium(D)/ExtraFirm(D)/Medium(T) and then when you drop under 250, to put the extra firm on the bottom. So I’ll leave this post open to other experts that might want to chime in.

1 Like