DIY Latex Construction - 5'6" 135b

Hello MUG,

I am 5’6" 135lb male, primarily side sleeper with ~20% back sleeper. I have a preference for plush/soft, looking for an all latex Queen mattress option.

I am most attracted to the idea of a zippered cover, full latex “DIY” mattress for potential cost savings, customization, and repair-ability, but am option to other options.

I lack great references how different firmnesses feel. Using resources such as SleepEZs calculator, it appears most recommendations would point me to a configuration using:

• 3" soft Talalay comfort layer
  • 3" medium dunlop transition layer
  • 3" firm dunlop support layer.

Does this sound correct? I’ve read that most DIY mistakes tend to lean overly firm.

I was able to get some latex samples through Flobeds to confirm I like the feel of latex foam or don’t have an undiscovered allergy. Although unable to experience an all latex mattress, I was able to enjoy a Natura Terran Plush, Natura Terran Euro Pillow Top, and King Koil Intimate Capree Plush Euro Top through a local retailer. These are all 3" comfort layer w/ pocketed inner coils. I was unable to find specifications regarding ILD/foam weights, or get information out of the saleswoman for it either.

I am upgrading from a twin 10" Novilla Bliss from Amazon that I’ve owned from before I started my bachelors degree, which I find firm, causing uncomfortable pressure on my arm/shoulder when I sleep on my side. The Amazon listing title describes the mattress as “Medium Plush”, but the graphics/description label the bed as “Medium Firm” - which seems to agree with reviews (and my own experience) - so I question the legitimacy of my internal measuring stick for plush-firmness scale.

This concern compounded when looking at options such as the SleepEZ Roma, which describe the S/M/F configuration as equivalent to the ‘Medium-Plush’ side - making me consider S/M/M or going with this more budget option + applying a topper if it is too firm.

Hope you experts can provide guidance.

@Sleep_EZ

Hi Alan and thanks for the inquiry and welcome to the forums! If you’re looking for an especially plush mattress, you might want to consider ordering the 10" organic latex mattress with soft Talalay/medium Dunlop/firm Dunlop but mention in the comments section at checkout that you want us to ship it as a 7" mattress with 3" topper, which will give you a really plush and enveloping feel, for sure. Having a top layer that is not encased with the rest of the mattress will allow that top layer enough spatial freedom to move upwards when you lay on it, making for a very plush and enveloping feel. On top of that, you would no longer have an inch of wool between yourself and the top layer of latex, which will allow you to contour into the Talalay layer much better. This is what I recommend to customers that are used to pillow top mattresses, memory foam mattresses, or people that are looking for a softer or plusher mattress in general.

Aside from that, though, I think getting the Roma would be a great choice, and if you try that and it’s too firm, you can add a 2" soft Talalay topper to make it moderately plusher or a 3" soft Talalay topper to make it much plusher. Even after adding a topper, it will be a big cost savings over the 10" organic, so I think it’s definitely worth considering.

2 Likes