DIY latex hybrid

Hello!

My fiance and myself have been going back and forth on a DIY latex hybrid build and wanted to get a bit of guidance. We’re upgrading from an ancient temperpedic memory foam.

I’m 5’5" around 230 and he’s 6’0" around 200. (We’ve both been steadily losing weight so the concern is finding something that works now but won’t be too different 30 lbs from now). Both side sleepers. We both find the memory foam to be too soft and I struggle with some hip and back pain from it. Again it’s pretty old.

I worry that the combi-zone would be too firm and think the 8" Bolsa seems like a better fit. We’re partial to talalay so my main question is would a 3" medium talalay topper seem right? I’ve considered another 2" soft on top so that it isn’t too firm, but again worry about it being too soft as well.

If we have:
Bolsa 8"
3" medium talalay

does that mean that the 11" bamboo cover would fit? And if another 2" topper is added, then the 13" cover instead? Just want to be sure before I order. Thanks so much!

1 Like

Hi spookyshn,
Congratulations on your choice on your DIY mattress. The bolsa and talalay combo is an excellent choice. You mentioned using a medium talalay. Hopefully that will give you the firmness that you desire. Trusted member Arizona Premium Mattress would be best to offer information regarding the medium talalay in combination with the bolsa coil system. What you may want to consider is using a flat sheet and thin quilt to cover the combination initially to see how that 11" works for you. If you decide it’s too firm or soft, you can always add that 2" additional layer of talalay. If it works, you can then order your cover to size.

It seems like their shipping and returns are quite direct. They articulate that in their FAQs, shipping is not free and comfort exchanges only.

Every component is custom made for your build. I would definitely speak with them to review your physical characteristics with regard to the combination you are ordering, just for a second opinion.

I was 245+ish when i ordered my ultra firm mattress and now at 218, it is still perfect, but i tend to always favor to ordering to the firmer side rather than the softer side, since most foams soften a bit anyway, although talalay tends to be the most resilient of the foams. I wish you good luck in this endeavor. Use your new mattress in good health.
Norm

Yes, those would be the right components in the 11" cover. The extra topper, if necessary, would be best if it were on top of the mattress so no need to get the 13" cover because you might find you don’t need the extra topper.

2 Likes