DIY latex mattress experience so far: big guy & small wife

Decided to go king size after having a queen Tempurpedic Cloud Luxe Breeze for many years…

With research from here and advice from Ken, I ordered this from Arizona Premium Mattress:
Him: 6’2", 270 (6" firm dun, 3" 32 tal, 3" 28 tal)
Her: 5’2", 135 (6" firm dun, 3" 28 tal, 3" 19 tal)
Bamboo wool mattress cover (12" King)

• Smell was milder than expected and we didn’t feel the need to let it off-gas for days before putting it together.
  • Expansion was minimal, definitely a pleasant surprise
  • Arranging the layers inside the bamboo wool cover was simple
  • Overall process is labor intensive

The difference in firmness in the layers is no joke. Way firmer on my side than the Cloud Luxe Breeze. And our kids all spotted the difference immediately without me saying anything.

Pros vs. Tempurpedic:

• Sex. The bounce and response is amazing. Huge difference.
  • Sleeps much cooler. Virtually zero heat retention relative to Tempurpedic.
  • Smell improvement. (Night 1 on latex smelled better than Night 30 on memory foam)
  • Less motion isolation, but still plenty overall. (I don’t like feeling completely isolated.)
  • Noticeable decrease in toss/turn on night 1, even with much increased firmness.
  • More generalized contouring instead of highly localized. I am on the mattress, not in the mattress.
  • Confidence in components since I put it together myself; nothing hidden.
  • No worries about nasty chemicals I’m sleeping on every night.

Cons vs. Tempurpedic:

• Not as luxurious feeling immediately upon lying down.
  • Feels less solid in a vague way.

(Both very minor cons, but I had to put something!)

A little less than two weeks in and this thing is awesome. I never really smelled much of anything, but my scent-sensitive wife has said nothing about a smell since night 4 or 5.

After 3-4 more sessions with the wife, those benefits continue to shine through.

She was gifted an expensive mattress cooler product, and it works perfectly with the breathable latex.

2+ months in and we regularly say we regret not making this leap years ago. Awesome stuff.

Hi big_dumb_jerk,

Great news! Glad your @APM
Mattress is working out so well! Ken is determined to satisfy each customer by finding their ideal sleep solution, and we are glad to hear yours has been a resounding success.
Thanks for sharing your journey to find a great mattress with us!

~ Basilio