DIY latex mattress using Saatva coils

I’ve been researching a latex hybrid build, and I decided to open up my 2017 Saatva Classic luxury firm to see if I could do anything to renew it (dip in center). I removed the top foam comfort layers and currently have a 3" SOL soft on top of the 4" pocket coil layer (with the rest of the mattress/ second spring layer still intact). 6 nights on it have been very good. I’m 5’6", 175 lb, mostly a side sleeper, but I have been able to sleep on my back on the latex.

The problem is this exceeds my mattress height limits (14.5" Saatva to start) and I need to be able to get it all in a new cover. I still don’t know the condition of the bottom spring area which is a separate compartment I haven’t opened. This is a 7" base layer of non-pocket springs (416 13 gauge).

Since I’ve been sleeping well with the latex on the coil layer, I’m wondering if I can build a new hybrid around the 4" pocket coils (14.5 gauge, 884 coil, with foam edge support). The coils do not appear worn in the dip area (all the foam above and below is, though).

Would I use a couple of inches of HD foam under the coils to complete a base/support layer? Would the foam at the bottom make the mattress sleep warmer?

Above the coils, I was thinking (from springs up):

• wool insulation layer (have seen this used, but can only find wool blankets and carpet pads)
  • 2" Talalay or Dunlop medium (possibly SOL) transition
  • 3" SOL soft

If I needed to replace the side support foam, how do I select the right type of foam?

Since it has coils, I assume I would use a quilted cover vs. knit. I understand this can firm up the mattress a bit and would consider a separate topper with knit cover if needed.

Thanks for any advice!

Hi Krco and welcome to the Mattress Underground :slight_smile:

Interesting project! A DIY build can be really rewarding as you can customize each layer for maximum comfort and support - but it can be a frustrating project as well, as it’s not really uncommon to rearrange, exchange/replace and return layers and spend a good bit of time considering factors and options to get a completed sleep solution

As you probably know, any mattress you finally consider a ‘finished’ DIY will be based on your Stats (height, BMI, sleeping position(s) and any underlying health conditions) - thanks for providing those! - and your PPP (Posture & alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

A Saatva having a ‘dip’ in the comfort layers after 6 years is unfortunately not uncommon. In your current configuration, however, as a higher BMI sleeper, you may ‘sink’ too far depending on the firmness of the SOL topper and ‘bottom out’ on the pocket coil layer below. The bottom coil unit is for extra support, and you may or may not want or need this; if possible you could put the 4" coil unit you have ‘salvaged’ on the floor with the SOL topper just to see how it feels by itself to get an idea of whether or not you want or need that bottom coil unit (as your body profile and sleep profile changes and adapts over time, you possibly would not be as comfortable on your mattress if you could revert it to its ‘new’ state now).

Much of the rest is really a matter of preference. Keep in mind Talalay and Dunlop have different ‘feels’ with Talalay being considered ‘bouncier’ than Dunlop (think of the difference between pound cake and angel food cake). As per above, you don’t want a latex layer that allows you to sink too deeply - which effects may not be noticeable immediately - as this can cause aches, pains and even alignment issues over the long term. An HD foam ‘base layer’ is common but not strictly necessary…depending on where you are, what median temperature you keep your bedroom at, and your preference, ‘closing off’ the bottom can create a ‘warmer’ sleep system, but you sacrifice some breathability. remember it’s your mattress and you and only you can tell what you prefer!

You might want to consider a thinner top comfort layer if you want to keep the ‘soft’ feel, of an inch or two so you don’t sink, after which the medium firm ‘transition’ layer; a layer of wool would create a breathable layer and is a natural flame retardant as well; Trusted Member of the site @CozyPure, for example has a 1" Tufted Wool Mattress Pad which might be of interest.

Foam ‘rails’ do provide edge support for coil units, but are not necessary - are you an ‘edge sleeper’? Do you need a firm edge to sit on the side of your bed? Again, it comes down to your preference but it’s an extra added expense and search you may want to consider before moving ahead…likewise the knit vs. quilted cover. If it’s at all possible in your area, you could try out some various mattress types with different types of firmnesses, covers, and types/firmness of latex just to get a general idea of what feels best and make a ‘short list’ of those…this could save a lot of time and effort some sleepers run into with DIY builds on ‘drilling down’ to their ideal build.

It sounds like you are on your way to a great DIY bed…just be patient and take time to consider what your next steps should be, and with a bit of patience, you will certainly be rewarded with an ideal sleep solution!

~ Basilio

Hello Basilo. Thank you for your thoughtful comments and suggestions!

I think I will try the upper coils on the floor with the topper I have. I had another thought last night. If the bottom coils seem good, I could get rid of the 5" foundation (not needed with my bed frame) and rebuild using both coils without making the overall setup too tall. That bottom coil layer could be reinsulated and encased separately possibly. I’ll have to dig into that this weekend. I do like the springiness coils/springs provide, so it’s worth considering.

I’m not an edge sleeper, but to reuse that top coil set, I need the foam rails because they are 3.5" wide all around, so the layer wouldn’t be long/wide enough for the mattress. The rails seem like they’re in good shape, but they might not survive getting all the glued on foam off.

I hear you about the comfort layers. I’m not currently bottoming out, but this could change as I rearrange or remove other parts.

I’m optimistic! I can’t express how much I love sleeping on latex so far! Will update as I go for anyone who is interested.