DIY Mattress Build Help

Hello,

Soon I’ll be moving and will have enough space for a queen-sized bed instead of the twin XL I’m currently sleeping on. It’s fairly comfortable when I’m on my back, but way too firm for me to side sleep and has caused me shoulder problems if I somehow wake up on my side.

For context, I am 6’2", about 230 lbs with wide shoulders and run very warm. I tend to be a back sleeper but will sleep on my side on softer mattresses. I don’t think I’m very picky on mattresses either and tend to prefer softer ones with more support.

I’ve been trying to put together a build for a DIY mattress when I came across the post recently from “mrwinterje” with a similar frame and sleep habits as me. It was suggested to have 3 3" layers of latex at different stiffness levels. Since I’m a bit heavier than him (230 vs 200 lbs), would that change this recommendation? Should any specific ILD rating be suggested for my build or is it more of a range to choose from?

Any information and help on this process would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

@DLX

The DIY process is typically an iterative one, often involving trial and error. We’d recommend DIY for those who have struggled to find a comfortable mattress and need the flexibility to experiment with different materials. It’s also suitable for individuals who enjoy tackling interesting problems and view mattress creation as a hobby or project.

Based on our experience, the cost savings of DIY can be minimal. While retail latex mattresses can exceed $3000, with some research, you can find options close to the cost of a DIY project through the Mattress Underground.

Regarding ILD (Indentation Load Deflection), we prefer not to solely rely on it as it often results in high dissatisfaction rates among customers. The challenge lies in recognizing that ILD is just one of many factors in mattress comfort. Variables like fabrics, quilt patterns, upholstery methods, and foam formula, including density, significantly influence the overall feel. For instance, a 1.5-pound foam with an ILD of 35 will feel different from a 2.4-pound foam with the same ILD. Moreover, materials like latex, memory foam, standard polyurethane, or performance polyurethane foams with identical ILDs may have notably different feels.

We recommend consulting with reputable companies that can offer recommendations and transparent feedback on their mattress materials and combinations. A good company with a solid refund policy should honestly assess whether their mattress is likely to suit your needs and comfort preferences, as they aim to avoid costly refunds.

When comparing latex, focus on density and formulation (percentage of natural latex used).

In our experience, many individuals with your body type may find three 3" layers of latex not soft enough for side sleeping. They often require a thicker latex mattress and should steer clear of 100% natural latex in the comfort layers, as it tends to provide more pushback and resilience, which may feel too firm for side sleeping. However, back sleepers with a similar build to you generally face no issues and would find such a mattress suitable.

Here are two additional tips:

1. If opting for an all-latex mattress, invest in a high-quality, heavy-duty support system. All-latex mattresses require robust support due to the material’s flexibility and weight.
  2. Side sleepers with broad shoulders typically benefit from thicker, firmer pillows to alleviate shoulder and neck pain. However, the same pillow may not be suitable for back sleeping.
2 Likes