DIY mattress configuration

I am considering a DIY mattress build from Arizona. I am 5’10", 180lbs, my wife is 5’2", 190lbs.
The build I am considering is the Combizone coils, 3" Dunlop medium, 2" Talalay soft.
Does this sound reasonable considering our stats?
Do you recommend a batting under the coils?
Do I get the mattress cover to fit exactly? i.e. Coils 8" + Dunlop 3" + Talalay 2" = 13" mattress cover
I am looking at the bamboo and wool to cover.
Any and all input is appreciated. I have spent an extreme amount of time educating myself on buying a mattress, now I feel compelled to build one. Your company has my interest!
Thank you for your time.

Sounds like a very good configuration to me. Depending on your budget, I would also consider this option (I am considering it myself and it is very reasonably priced): https://www.swissdreambeds.com/

Best Talalay topper made by Vita Talalay (Netherlands) is this one (although it’s pricy): Vitality | Savvy Rest

Thank you for your interest in our products. The build you have selected sounds very reasonable for your stats so I can see how your research has paid off. You do not need any batting under the coil and the 13" cover is exactly what you will need to finish it off. The only suggestion I would add is if you both sleep mostly on your sides then you might want to go with a 3" soft instead of 2". So you could reverse the build with 2" medium dunlop under 3" soft Talalay. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Dear Ken,

Who manufactures your latex and, more specifically, your Talalay toppers? On your website you link to videos by Vita Talalay (Latex Mattress Toppers and Cores, All Products,), but I couldn’t find any explicit mention of Vita Talalay in the description. Also, on the Vita Talalay’s list of vendors in the United States, I couldn’t find your company: United States of America - Vita Talalay (en)

I like your suggestion, I will deeply consider it before making my final decision. it follow a similar pattern to what I want to create; with adjustable layers. Thank you, sincerely.

We buy from both sources. Last week we received a shipment from Vita Talalay and today we received a shipment from Talalay Global. This way for those who want a choice we give it to them. I just notified Vita Talalay to make sure to include me in the store listings. This is new for them and since I am one of their oldest customers I’m sure it won’t take long to add me.

We also carry the all natural Talalay 3" Vita Talalay in your choice of firmnesses and customizable at half the cost. Just FYI - 3 Inch All Natural Talalay Latex Mattress Topper, 3 Inch All Natural Talalay Latex Mattress Topper, Save Big with DIY Latex Mattress Components, Latex Mattresses-Talalay and Dunlop If someone prefers Vita Talalay over the U.S. Talalay Global all they have to do is request it. It’s now being warehoused here in Phoenix, AZ by Latexco so it’s not a problem getting Vita Talalay in all natural or blended.

Dear Ken,

Can you please provide the specs (ild, density) for Vita Talalay 3’’ toppers? Product description on the page you linked to (Looking for a comfortable natural latex mattress? | Latexco) gives specs for Dunlop toppers, because each has a range. Talalay usually has precise ild for each firmness.

Also, since you mentions Latexco, does anybody sell their 5-zone and 7-zone latex mattresses, scroll down page here: Looking for a comfortable natural latex mattress? | Latexco

Thank you!

Natural Talalay has a range and that is true with both Vita Talalay and Talalay Global. Vita Talalay sometimes lists a specific ILD but what you don’t know and I do is that it’s the target ILD that they list. Target ILD’s have a + or - of 2 which is why we list the more accurate range that it will fall into. So when we list Plush as 20-24 ILD the target ILD is 22 and that holds true through all the ranges listed on our website. Densities range from 50K (14ILD) to 91K (38ILD)

Latexco’s zoned cores have not been very popular for them in the past but I will check to see if things have changed.

BTW I spoke with Vita Talalay and they quickly responded with our listing - https://www.vitatalalay.com/store/arizona-premium-mattress-company

Dear Ken,

Thank you for your explanation! Please, also ask Vita Talalay to add “Phoenix” on their list of locations: United States of America - Vita Talalay (en)
Otherwise, there is no way for customers to find your company through their website directly.

I am thinking about buying two 2’’ latex toppers, one around 30 ild and another one around 20 ild. Sleeponlatex Dunlop toppers (Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress Topper | SleepOnLatex.com) would come to $159+$129 = $388 total. Vita Talalay on your website (2" All Natural Talalay Latex Topper, Talalay & Dunlop Latex Toppers - Bare, Latex Mattress Toppers and Cores, All Products) would come to $249+$249 = $498 total. Is Talalay latex that much more expensive than Dunlop, or does importing from Europe adds to the cost?

Yes, the flash freeze process unique to Talalay produces extremely uniform latex and is much more costly than the dunlop process. Vita Talalay uses geo-targeting and renders results based on your IP address location.

What is the difference between Vita Talalay and Talalay Global, and their products? Thank you.

@roosterfire: My impression was that Vita Talalay makes the highest quality talalay latex in the world. For example, their talalay latex is used in the mattresses of this large Swiss company, which probably makes the best mattress spring units in the world: Sleeping systems – Hüsler Nest

Their latex is also used by Savvy Rest, which Ken Hightower mentioned on another thread yesterday, see comment #4 here: https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/trying-to-decide-on-the-right-latex-hybrid-mattress

See also the comment #2 by Phoenix here for more: https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/n2-vs-n3-comfort-layer

If you want the opinion of someone who’s been using latex from both companies for over 20 years here goes: In the past the Vita Talalay has out performed the old Latex International products however when Latex International changed ownership and became Talalay Global that brought in fresh money which was spent on product quality upgrades and much more. As of today I would say that TG has the edge on overall quality and if I were replacing my own bed I would go with TG over Vita Talalay. There is no wrong choice however.

Your expert advice has been appreciated Ken. Thank you for taking the time to assess my build and give feedback.
~Todd

My pleasure and thank you for the questions.

Today was the big day. I ordered my custom DIY mattress form Arizona Premium Mattress
Queen :
L&P Combi-Zone coil base
2" Natural Dunlop support layer
3’ Natural Talalay comfort layer
Bamboo with wool mattress cover
After over 25 hours of research there was no second guessing about which company I wanted to buy a mattress from. Ken made the transaction personal and thorough, a real gem in the production and sales industry, in this case a latex mattress expert!
I look forward to it’s arrival, our first new mattress in our adult life.
Thank you Ken!

Todd - Congrats on your decision and purchase from APM! Interesting configuration… rare to see the combo of Dunlop and Talalay layers in a hybrid configuration with the L&P coil base. Hope it meets your needs and exceeds expectations, and looking forward to your comments on the experience once you’ve had it for a bit. Enjoy in the best of health!

• Bill

I am curious if Arizona Premium uses roll packing machine now for shipping or do they still use ad hoc method as before:

Basically, I am curious what the weight and dimension of the mattress in a box for queen size mattress is to estimate what shipping to Canada would cost.