Does Machine Compression for Shipping Destroy Premium Mattresses?

Hey Mattress Underground Community,

Long-time reader, first-time posting.

I am wondering if anyone knows (for sure) if the process of compressing a premium mattress to ship it in a box destroys or damages the mattress? Or what the actual effect of this method of transit is on the quality and lifetime of a premium mattress?

I know that Saatva seems to assert that is does and based on my very limited understanding of springs and foam materials (generally) I am inclined to believe them: What's the Best Bed in a Box? | Saatva

I ask because I recently had an Estate 5000 king size mattress delivered to Los Angeles from Charles P Rogers that was shipped compressed, bed-in-a-box. I purchased a mattress from them previously when I lived in New York and it came uncompressed, intact, on a truck. Up until this point I have only had good things to say about them, but the entire order and delivery process this time was a total nightmare, and in line with what you read online at BBB or elsewhere. That will be a story for another post.

Even if this mattress mostly -or almost entirely- expands, I would love to know if anyone has any knowledge regarding whether or not I just paid $2000+ for a compromised mattress that I should return. It has not had the “4-5 days” to fully expand, but judging on what it has done so far today I am doubtful that it is ever going to get back to its original build quality. I had a similar experience last year when ordering a DreamCloud mattress and after 10 days of waiting for it to finish expanding it never did and I had them return it.

Can anyone shed any light on whether or not this -now almost universal- trend in mattress delivery has compromised the quality and long-term performance of premium mattresses?

Much appreciation to all!

Tim

Based on the information in your question, looks like it wont return to normal. But how do you know what normal is?

Overall, to me, if you squish a mattress into a box, support structures would break down. But it seems like when they ship latex is 2-3 boxes….it is ok. Inner spring mattresses might be ok to be compressed into a box. That is what Spencer from Spencers Ventura Mattress said in his youtube videos.

For me, I wont buy a bed in a box except for latex from Flobeds or SleepEZ. Tempurpedic is the best memory foam and it is never compressed into a box.

If I were you….try the mattress….if its no good….return it.

John

Hey Billy!

I don’t for sure know what normal is for a Charles P Rogers that is being shipped bed-in-a-box but over the last two years I have purchased and opened dozens of bed-in-a-box mattresses from various brands (Casper, Dreamcloud, Nectar, etc.), both all-foam and hybrids and have gotten a sense for when they mattress was permanently destroyed during compression and when it is going to expand alright. I can try to upload the photos of a previously purchased Estate 5000 Plus and the new bed-in-a-box Estate 5000 Plus next to each other so anyone can see the effect compression has on this mattress if the forum will allow.

6 hours into expansion this mattress looks exactly like a Dreamcloud hybrid that never fully expanded a week later. This all also got me thinking- if the compression process is doing enough damage to permanently destroy a % of new hybrid mattresses (even if just 1/10 or 1/100), what type of damage is it doing to the rest of them that maybe is not noticeable until years into use?

I have not noticed much issue with all-foam mattresses and I suspect latex would similarly tolerate the process, but it seems absurd that a high-quality, hybrid mattress of varying materials and multiple layers would be able to withstand such an intense process without it having an impact on build quality.

Would make sense if Casper, Avocado and some of the other national “disruptor” mattress brands are using materials that can better withstand the process and/or they have engineered their mattresses to be sold this way, but I doubt that is the case with Charles P Rogers. Given the size of the company, and the fact they just revamped all their different product offerings, I suspect they have re-engineered their mattresses with lower density foams that can withstand the process, so they can use a compression machine for shipping to try and keep up with the online brands. In this case we purchased this now-legacy series Estate 5000 Plus on clearance and I had sadly assumed it was not the type of mattress that could be shipped bed-in-a-box and that it would be delivered in-tact via LTL Freight. Looks like they just run everything through the machine now and hope the customer doesn’t notice how much it destroys the mattress. :confused:

In any case, barring a miracle, we will be returning this mattress once they allow. Currently looking into local mattress stores and brands that are high-quality hybrids (13-14 gauge, high density foams, talalay), and that are never compressed after manufacture. If anyone has any recommendations for great mattress stores or for a brand that fits that description, would love any and all info! Just looked at the Aireloom Luxetop and Streamlines nearby, but I am just getting restarted researching.

Also if anyone has any other specific information about what impact the compression process actually has on especially hybrid bed-in-a-box mattresses would be curious to know more. I don’t suspect it can be anything good but would also be thrilled to find out I am wrong because of some #science reason I do not know.

Thanks Billy and thanks all! Happy holidays and new year!

I think it is just common sense that crushing a mattress into a small box destroys some of its structural characteristics.

Im in LA and I did venture over to Sleepare. The concept is you can try out bed in a box mattresses in person. They had about 20 mattreses there. I couldnt imagine ordering and returning 20 mattresses. My new rule is try it in person before you buy it. It is simply less work.

I think Sleepare is in several cities including NYC. I personally would never buy a bed in a box except for latex.

John

There is simply no substitute for in person back to back testing in real time.

John

That’s good to know- thanks!

I did not actually buy and return 20 mattress, that would certainly be nuts. They were purchased for various employee housing while working on location.

Imgur links to images below for anyone who may be considering ordering a Charles P Rogers via bed-in-a-box shipping. The king has expanded maybe another inch or so since yesterday but the sides are still noticeably squished and the mattress still looks like a frumpy mat.

Let it expand another 5 days

If it does not unsquish….return it

John

Hi TimothyP

Thanks for the photos and your detailed report. Very telling!

I am wondering if anyone knows (for sure) if the process of compressing a premium mattress to ship it in a box destroys or damages the mattress? Or what the actual effect of this method of transit is on the quality and lifetime of a premium mattress?
I ask because I recently had an Estate 5000 king size mattress delivered to Los Angeles from Charles P Rogers that was shipped compressed, bed-in-a-box. I purchased a mattress from them previously when I lived in New York and it came uncompressed, intact, on a truck. Up until this point I have only had good things to say about them, but the entire order and delivery process this time was a total nightmare, and in line with what you read online at BBB or elsewhere.

Even if this mattress mostly -or almost entirely- expands, I would love to know if anyone has any knowledge regarding whether or not I just paid $2000+ for a compromised mattress that I should return. It has not had the “4-5 days” to fully expand, but judging on what it has done so far today I am doubtful that it is ever going to get back to its original build quality

Ideally, it would be best to aim for an uncompressed mattress to get the longest possible use of your mattress. Practically, like with everything else, roll packing or compressing a mattress for shipping would affect to a smaller or larger degree its durability and performance. This will all depend on the time the item was compressed; the density and type of the foams being used and other factors. You can read this more detailed reply by @MattressToGo In summary - the higher-density foams tend to tolerate compression better than lower-density ones. Innersprings typically come already compressed from the spring manufacturer and they are quite resilient if they are tempered.

In your case the Estate 5000 in plush has

• Comfort Padding:
    2x layers CertiPUR-USÂŽ soft cooling gel foam
    Natural latex
  • CertiPUR-USÂŽ certified bio-foam intermediate support layer
  • Active Powercore 2™ spring unit

The compressed spring is rarely creating issues in shipping but you are correct that any long-term compression of the entire mattress runs the risk of affecting its structural integrity. It is difficult to say how much, as this is also affected by the time the mattress was stored and compressed in a warehouse or shipping facility, or transport/storage temperatures, and other environmental factors (humidity, freezing conditions, dust, or pests in case of compromised plastic wrapping) Most memory foam, as well as latex, would be OK for a short period of compression. In the case of polyfoam, this would depend on its type, density, and firmness. Low-quality/density polyfoam or memory foam can be damaged more easily.

The mechanical properties (including elasticity/plasticity, tear, and resiliency) of the foams are given by the foam chemical formulation and cell micro-structure parameters such as cell size, cell morphology, and cell regularity of the specific foam. From the little I understand with a quick look into the strain-rate effect on the foams’ compressive behavior, foam properties can be altered during the stress of “crushing”, and bucking of the foam cells under constant compression. During this process, it is very possible that some breaking of the cell walls and formation of some “hinges” at the cell wall junctions may occur. The more durable, dense foams with irregular and open cells the less compressive stress on the foam as a whole.

Generally, damage through compressing is one of the common issues with less expensive ‘bed-in-a-box’ type mattresses using lower-density foams that stay compressed for a long time. Your concern certainly makes sense as the Estate 5000 is considered a ‘higher-end’ luxury mattress. Yes, it can take 4-5 days to “fully expand” memory foam and poly would take the longest. The spring unit and latex won’t take that long. All in all, by day 5 your mattress should definitely be nearly as expanded as it will get.

Can anyone shed any light on whether or not this -now almost universal- trend in mattress delivery has compromised the quality and long-term performance of premium mattresses?

You are correct that many companies are moving in the ‘compression direction’ due to ease, lowering the cost of shipping, and storage (less footprint for each product in the warehouse) as well as cost. It’s a bit of a balancing act between the convenience of the roll packing (reducing the volume, shipping, and storing costs) and getting a more traditional mattress that comes with a higher price tag. If you do decide to return the Charles P Rogers mattress and look for another option you can look into the TMU directory of Trusted Members which have good quality value products. Most of these still roll-pack items but they tend to compress them layer by layer in separate shipping boxes.

For your peace of mind, hopefully, your Estate 5000 has quality components and will finish expanding to its’ full expected volume soon! I’d be interested to learn of the expansion outcome and your decision.

Phoenix

Hey Tim,

I work for a family business that was one of the first brands to launch a mattress in a box.

While it may seem like the process of compressing a mattress would damage it, in fact, most premium mattresses are designed to withstand the rigors of machine compression without suffering any damage.

There are several reasons why machine compression does not destroy premium mattresses. First, premium mattresses are made with high-quality materials that are designed to be durable and resistant to damage. These materials are able to withstand the forces of compression without tearing or breaking. Just you need pick a mattress in a box brand that lives up to that premium mattress standard to not reduce its weight or material to join the new shrink-flation nation of products.

Second, most premium mattresses are designed with a specific number of layers and specific types of materials that work together to provide support, comfort, and durability. These layers are typically designed to be flexible and resilient, so they can withstand the forces of compression without losing their shape or support.

Finally, mattress manufacturers typically use sophisticated equipment and processes to ensure that the mattresses are properly packaged and protected during shipping and storage. This can include using strong, durable packaging materials and following best practices for handling and storing the mattresses to minimize the risk of damage.

Overall, while machine compression may seem like it would be damaging to a mattress, most premium mattresses are designed to withstand this process without suffering any harm.

I’m sorry to see your sleep journey is taking this long to find the rest you need. Hopefully this answers your question to still consider a mattress in a box to give it that 5 days like you said to create its masterpiece in your home.