Does our Mattress Contain Latex?

In late 2013 we bought a Cirrus Supreme-ES from Selectfoam.com. 12+ years later it’s still going strong. I’m sad the company folded. However, my wife has a latex allergy and we’ve never considered that her headaches may be related to our bed. Anyone know if this particular mattress was made with latex? TIA.

Hi risaacson,

I did an internet search into the company Select Foam, and I also looked in the forum for mentions of this company as they used to be a member. Here is a thread I found on this forum (click here), and on a different website i found some more information on your specific model (click here). It sounds like your mattress is made of memory or gel foam.

It’s not uncommon to experience headaches from the VOCs emissions with a new memory foam mattress, although yours is not new, it could be breaking down which has a similar effect. The specific ingredients vary from company to company, but generally, memory foam tends to contain more chemicals than other foams or rubber/latex.

Overall, people with mild latex allergies should be safe sleeping on a latex mattress because of the washing process that latex undergoes during manufacturing, which helps to remove the proteins that affect people with latex allergies. In addition, natural latex used inside mattresses are encased inside a mattress cover, eliminating direct exposure to the skin.

There are an increasing number of people who are more sensitive to certain materials, and their threshold for harmful substances and VOCs is much lower than for the majority. If you like the idea of memory foam, I advise looking for a CertiPUR-US certification for any foam used in a mattress or topper. If you like the idea of natural latex, it’s a good idea to sample a piece from the store you are considering, or you can order a latex pillow before investing in an entire mattress. The certification to look for is GOLS (Global Organic Latex Standard).

It may be worth investigating first what happens when she doesn’t sleep on the current mattress. Does the headache go away? Does she notice any changes in her symptoms? This may better help with putting your finger on the problem before jumping to find a solution.

I hope this information is helpful and wish you luck on your journey! :hugs:

Laura ~ Founder & CEO. Sunshine Mattress Co

Latex allergies have nothing to do with latex mattresses. Latex Allergy Info

Hi Risaacson,

I’ve been in the latex business since 1996 and have never heard of latex causing headaches even for people who are allergic. Certainly not after some much time has passed.

There should be a Law Tag on your mattress somewhere that should tell you what the contents of the mattress are.

CST

Perfect. Thanks so much!!