Don't forget to ask for your "The Mattress Underground" forum member discount/bonus

Read about good reviews of Tuft and Needle. Planning to buy one. Thanks for all wonderful people in this forum. Much appreciated.

Hi kaydee8 and szhman,

Welcome to both of you … and I’m glad you found us.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

ditto. same here. great site

Hi Sleepeyemaster,

Welcome to the site as well :slight_smile:

I’m also looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any comments or questions you may have along the way that I or some of the more knowledgeable members of the site can help with.

Phoenix

This is my first post. My husband and I plan to go to Texas Mattress Makers this weekend and custom order a mattress. We appreciate all the info although it is very overwhelming. I’m a researcher by nature but even for me this site was taxing. Nevertheless I appreciate the opportunity to read and learn. I’m still needing to read about each layer so that we know what to order. If there is a part of this site that has detailed suggestions, i.e. layer suggestions for those with back issues…etc., please let me know. I’ve gone through a lot of the menu but haven’t found specifics yet. I did find the retailers that Underground works with which helped me find Texas Mattress. Will be SO GLAD when this is over!! thanks, bren

Hi bren6280,

I’m assuming that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here (which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice) but two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for when you sleep on it in “real life” and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability and PPP (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

Your research and decision about which mattress is the “best for you” will always come down to suitability, durability, and value.

1. In terms of suitability and PPP … I would keep in mind that the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

2. Outside of PPP … the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new) so I would always make sure that you find out information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would affect the durability and useful life of a mattress before making any purchase.

3. In terms of "value … once you are down to a list of finalists and you are confident that they would all be a good match for you in terms of PPP (or you have good options after a purchase if you aren’t) and that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in any of them in terms of durability then you would be comparing “good to good”. If there are no clear winners between them at this point (which is usually a good indication that you have done some very good research) then you are in the fortunate position that any of them would likely make a good quality/value choice and (post #2 here) can help you make a final choice based on your local testing or mattresses you have slept well on, your more detailed conversations with each of them, your confidence about PPP and the suitability of each one, their prices, your preferences, the options you have after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or exchange or return the mattress or individual layers, any additional “value” extras that are part of each purchase, and on “informed best judgement” based on all the other objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. Sometimes a final choice may even come down to very minor differences or can sometimes just be a matter of “gut feel” or “educated best judgement”.

As you know Texas Mattress Makers is a member of this site which means that I think highly of them and that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

Phoenix

I’m looking at the tuft and needle mattress. If I read it right it comes rolled up. Is it easy to roll it back up after a year of using it? I would be moving around a lot, so it’d be great if it was easy to transport

Hi nguyda,

You would need professional roll packing equipment to roll it up to the same size as it was when you received it so the simplest way to move it would be in a mattress box rather than trying to re-compress or roll it again.

Phoenix

ok thanks!

Hi, I’m so glad I found this site. I’ve started getting educated and plan to do some “in person” testing soon.

Also, I was happy to see that there are several recommended vendors in the Phoenix area (where I am located). I did a quick search but did not find any posts comparing the various Arizona vendor options. Is there something like that on this site?

Thank you.

Hi adamski,

You certainly have some great options available to you in the Phoenix area (you can see the Phoenix list here). Several of them are members of this site which means that I think highly of them and I believe that they all compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency,

I would focus more on comparing the “value” of specific mattresses since you are buying a mattress not the business itself. There is more information about the 3 most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase to fine tune the mattress or the exchange return options that are available to you).

I’m assuming that you’ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps most importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Once you have decided on the types of mattresses you are most interested in testing (see this article) and on your budget (see this article) then I would check the websites of the retailers/manufacturers on the list or call and talk with them in person to see which of them carry the types of mattresses that you are interested in testing that are inside your budget range so you can decide which ones to visit in person.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thank you for the response.

And a HUGE thank you for this site. It is an amazing source of information and assistance.

It is ironic, looking for a mattress in the Phoenix area, that “Phoenix” (because of your name) and “Arizona” (because of Arizona Premium Mattress) seem to be two of the harder terms to search for. The link you provided to Phoenix sellers is perfect.

Hi adamski,

You’re right that my username makes searching for anything connected with the city more difficult to find!

Thanks for the kind words … and I’m glad the site has been helpful :).

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding … and of course any other questions or comments you may have along the way.

Phoenix

just pulled the trigger on a Tuft & Needle queen.
With all the discounts and their return policy how can you go wrong.

Hi rkaiii,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you made a good choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve had a chance to try it out.

Phoenix

Hope the T&N is worth the money! Thanks for all the info here.

Hi Whasy86,

Congratulations on your new mattress :).

I hope it’s worth it for you as well and I’m looking forward to finding out how you sleep on it when you receive it. Of course if it isn’t then they also have a great return policy so like most of the simplified choice mattresses you can try it without any risk.

Phoenix

Was going to order a tuft and needle, With the Amex $100 credit back it looked like a good option. But I am worried about it being too firm,. Then I found the dreamfoam 12 in 1 customizable mattress that I can change the firmness level and on the king size it is split and me and my fiance, who likes more firmness than me can have different configurations.

I see that there is a bonus pillow with this company for being a member here. Is there any info on what type of pillow it is? Also on the membership list some of them have a promo code, but on the ones that don’t, like with dreamfoam how do I get them to apply the bonus to my order?

This site has been a very valuable resource for me while searching for the perfect mattress, Thanks.

Hi acfiz99,

All you have to do is call or email them to let them know you are a member here and you will receive the bonus pillow. I’m not sure which of their pillows they are providing as a bonus with their mattresses and I believe the default depends on the mattress but you could call and ask them to find out for sure.

Assuming that you decide to pull the trigger … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to try it out.

Phoenix

what’s a good bedframe and boxspring to get with T&N mattress?