Don't forget to ask for your "The Mattress Underground" forum member discount/bonus

We purchased the Novaform Serafina, based on the Consumer Report recommendation. It is killing us! Headaches for me, shoulder and back pain for my husband. We have been trying to ā€œgive it time,ā€ but it has been over a month. It is going back to Costco-God bless their return policy.
Return policies now condition all my future mattress purchases.

Hi samattes,

I switched your post to a new topic of its own since it wasnā€™t related to the title of the original topic you posted in.

You can see my comments about the Consumer Reports mattress ratings and recommendations in post #2 here and in this topic. While they may be a good source of information about more ā€œobjectiveā€ purchases ā€¦ as you can see I would consider them to be an unreliable source of information or guidance about purchasing a mattress and they are somewhat nonsensical and meaningless. My thoughts are also shared by most of the more knowledgeable people in the industry (see post #5 here for an example).

While other peopleā€™s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful ā€¦ I would also be very cautious about about using other peopleā€™s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because any mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range) and reviews in general certainly wonā€™t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

You can also see some comments about the Novaform Serafina in post #2 here.

[quote] It is going back to Costco-God bless their return policy.
Return policies now condition all my future mattress purchases. [/quote]

Iā€™m assuming that youā€™ve read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice ā€¦ and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure youā€™ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of ā€œcomfortā€ and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesnā€™t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

There is also more about buying a mattress from Costco in post #4 here.

If you are looking at online mattresses that you canā€™t test ahead of time then I would certainly agree that for many people the options you have after a purchase to exchange or return the mattress (or in some cases individual layers or components in a mattress) can be one of the more important parts of the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase.

If you are looking at online options then the tutorial includes several links to lists of the better online sources Iā€™m aware of (in the optional online step) that include a wide range of different types and categories of mattresses in a wide range of designs, firmness levels and budgets and many of them have good return policies as well.

If you let me know your city or zip code Iā€™d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of in your area as well.

Phoenix

After extensive research on your site and others, we purchased from Sleep EZ. What began as a 3-layer latex ultimately ended up (after many weeks and much layer swapping) a 3-layer plus 3" topper. Weā€™ve been sleeping soundly now for several months and are highly satisfied. The folks at Sleep EZ were very helpful every step of the way. Thanks so much for your very helpful site! We couldnā€™t have done it without you. Now, let me click on the ā€œHow we surviveā€ link and make a contributionā€¦

Hi jharvey,

I switched your post to a new topic of its own so it wouldnā€™t get mixed in with a more general topic.

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback ā€¦ and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Itā€™s great to hear that your fine tuning worked out so well and now that you have the layering combination that works for you it would be reasonable to expect that you will be sleeping well for many years to come.

Thanks for the kind comments and for the donation as well ā€¦ I appreciate both of them!

Phoenix

Thank you for the forum. Starting my mattress research now. :slight_smile:

Hi anandah,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us :slight_smile:

Just in case you havenā€™t read it yet ā€¦ the best place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that you will need to make the best possible choice ā€¦ and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure youā€™ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of ā€œcomfortā€ and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesnā€™t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

Once you get to step 3 in the tutorial if you let me know your city or zip code Iā€™d also be happy to let you know about any of the better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of in your area.

Phoenix

Hi,
Count me in as another one of this forumā€™s admirers from afar who, after reading through many posts here for a while, finally signed up a few weeks ago and I am just now posting my appreciation for this site.

This site has really been a great help in guiding me on my ongoing journey to find a mattress. Now Iā€™m just waiting on building up my budget so I can upgrade my current mattress in the near future (hopefully sooner than later).

And with all this researching, I am able to help my family members navigate their way through this Big Deal that is going on a hunt for a new mattress. Of course Iā€™d recommend them to look at this forum, too, since mattress hunting is a very personalized search.

Thank you so much for creating this space so that we can all pitch in to encourage each other to continue searching, and to keep each other sane while looking to buy this basic necessity.

Hi mar705,

Itā€™s great to hear that the site has been helpful and thanks for the kind comments as well ā€¦ I appreciate them :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding ā€¦ and of course any other comments or questions you may have along the way that I or any of the other knowledgeable members here can help with.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix
I am hoping you have some advice - I ordered the Kiss king mattress in firm, and during the trial period, after having a week away sleeping on another bed, I came to the conclusion that this Kiss mattress was causing me to have back pain (I am a side sleeper and it doesnā€™t give me enough support). Back in Dec '15, within the 100 day return timeframe, I contacted SleepEz to return the mattress and found out they require me to donate it. However, I cannot find any charitable organization local to me in Shrewsbury Massachusetts that will accept a used King mattress. Iā€™ve made a few phone calls to SleepEz about this over the period of a month but Iā€™m not getting anywhere. Iā€™m really worried Iā€™m going to be stuck with the $950 mattress that hurts my back.
Are you able to help me at all? Any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you.

They donā€™t require you to donate it.

According to SleepEZ FAQ.

If you decide that the Kiss Mattress is not for you, then just let us know and we will set up a time for a local charity to come pick it up. Itā€™s that easy. Once your mattress is donated, send us a scanned or photographed copy of your donation receipt via email and weā€™ll process your refund in full. Weā€™re experts at finding donation locations. If youā€™re unsure of where to donate or need help, just let us know by phone, or email [email protected]; weā€™d be happy to help!

We recommend keeping the plastic to make donations or recycling easier. Instead of shipping it back to us, we work together to donate the mattress to a nearby charity. Send us a scanned or photographed copy of your receipt and weā€™ll process your full refund. If no charity is available nearby for donation, weā€™ll arrange a 3rd party pickup for the mattress.

Once we receive your proof of donation, our system processes the refund within 24 to 72 hours. If you do not see it back in your account within 3-5 business days, contact your bank or financial institution for further information.

Hi Seascape,

I switched your post to a new topic of its own because it was outside the scope of the more general topic you posted in.

Iā€™m sorry to hear that your mattress isnā€™t working out as well as you hoped for.

You certainly made a great quality/value choice but if their firm option is too firm for you then their medium firmness may have been a better choice (a mattress that is in a medium firmness range would generally ā€œfitā€ a much larger percentage of people than either a firmer or softer option). In cases like this itā€™s generally best to discuss your options directly with Kiss Mattress but your options would really come down to either donating or returning it for a refund, exchanging it for a softer version of the same mattress, or adding a topper to provide any additional softness/pressure relief that you need.

Their refund policy that is outlined in their FAQ here (in the returns section) reads as follows ā€¦

Itā€™s not a requirement to find somewhere to donate your mattress to receive a refund but it would certainly be a preference since it would provide a mattress for someone that needs it and it would also reduce the shipping cost involved in returning the mattress.

If you decide on a refund then it may be worthwhile looking into womenā€™s or homeless shelters or other similar organizations who will often welcome a mattress that is in good and clean condition. Local churches may also be able to provide suggestions. They will also work with you to help you find a suitable organization that will take your mattress but if there is nothing available locally then they will arrange to have your mattress picked up and returned so that you can receive your refund.

They have a great refund policy that they will always honor and you certainly wouldnā€™t be ā€œstuckā€ with your mattress as long as you let them know that you wish to return/donate it within the trial period.

Phoenix

You are sharing great information with people, because your dealā€™s are great. I am also work for other person, but really these types dealā€™s very helpful for people and save their lots of money.

Phoenix, thank you so much for this informative site. I have read your tutorial and many posts and articles here. Regarding the 'Mattress Underground" forum member discount, should it be applicable when the member already has a mattress sale on their site?

Hi ChrisC,

Welcome to the site ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us :slight_smile:

The specifics of the discount are listed here. They normally canā€™t be ā€œstackedā€ with other promotions or sale prices that have a larger discount or with special promotional pricing on some mattresses.

Phoenix

Thanks for the discount and all the latex info. Head is spinning but your site is slowing it down.

Hi TIM DV,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding ā€¦ and any comments or questions that you may also have along the way as well.

Phoenix

Iā€™m glad there is such an informative forum on mattresses. Iā€™ve learned a lot from being a member on various foruns from cars to cell phones and pets, but never knew there was one for mattresses. Being as we spend so much time on our beds it is great to have all this info available.

After years of sleeping on beds that didnā€™t meet my expectations after testing them in a mattress store, I think I need to invest more time researching rather than just laying on a bed for 30 seconds. Which is what brought me here. Our current mattress is causing aches and pains in the morning for my wife and I. We will definitely be purchasing a new mattress within a month at most.

Thanks for the info.

Hi jla82s13,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you found us :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding ā€¦ and of course any comments or questions that I or any of the more knowledgeable members of the forum can help with along the way.

Phoenix

After a recent issue with a severely pinched nerve, it was time for a new bed. I had no idea what I was getting into, but this site is an incredible wealth of information! It has taken me several days to absorb enough to make some intelligent decisions about my next purchase but wanted to say Thank You for putting this site together.

Hi spotopolis,

Thanks for the kind comments ā€¦ and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Iā€™m also looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding along with any questions you may have along the way as well.

Phoenix