Don't forget to ask for your "The Mattress Underground" forum member discount/bonus

I ended up going with Brooklyn Bedding BME. I visited their factory showroom, saw and fondled the naked components- latex, high density polyfoam, and spent plenty of time trying out the medium and firm mattresses. I chose the firm, but I have the option (after 30 days use) to switch to medium if thereā€™s a problem. So we shall see if I made the initial correct decision. I didnā€™t feel clueless there about materials and construction, latex vs memory foam, because I had done my homework and research.
The mattress and foundation will be delivered Thursday. Itā€™s stretching my budget, but I decided to go for it.
Thank you for this wonderful forum with access to so much valuable information.

Hi whiterose,

Thank you for the update, and congratulations on your new mattress purchase! :cheer: You certainly made a good quality/value choice and Iā€™m looking forward to learning about your new mattress once youā€™ve had a chance to sleep upon it for a while.

And Iā€™m glad the information here empowered you as you went on your mattress shopping trip.

Phoenix

looking for a discount on mattresses in Winnipeg

Hi dpd,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The focus on this site isnā€™t on searching for ā€œdiscountsā€, but instead on educating people to assist them in making informed decisions when mattress shopping, hopefully starting with the information contained in the mattress shopping tutorial.

But subject to first confirming that any retailer or manufacturer on the list that you wish to visit is completely transparent (see this article) and to making sure that any mattress you are considering meets the quality/value guidelines here ā€¦ the better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of in and around Winnipeg are in post #2 here.

I hope that helps you out with your search.

Phoenix

Thanks so much!

Hi magisimo.

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!

I hope that youā€™ll be able to use the information here on the forum to assist you in your mattress shopping experience, and Iā€™d suggest to start by reading the mattress shopping tutorial here, which provides guidance in logical steps on how to find mattresses using good quality materials, and to help differentiate from those that donā€™t.

Iā€™ll be interested in learning about any decisions you may make, or of course any questions that you may have.

Phoenix

Thank you for the wealth of information on this site! I have been reading for hours more information than I knew existed about mattresses and I think my girlfriend thinks Iā€™ve gone off the deep end, but it has been worth it and I think Iā€™ve decided on a mattress - the Dreamfoam Arctic Dreams 12". Now I canā€™t wait to get it and start sleeping better than I do on my old S brand mattress!

Hi JustGary,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!

Iā€™m glad the information presented here on the forum was helpful to you, and congratulations on your new mattress :cheer: ! The Arctic Dreams certainly represents a very good value for the componentry used. Iā€™ll be interested in learning of your comments on your new mattress once youā€™ve had a chance to sleep on it for a while.

Phoenix

Update from post #1393. After two weeks on the new mattress my spouse and I were finding it a bit firmer than expected. I added another 1" slab of natural latex (soft, N1 rated) above the zippered mattress cover and beneath the mattress protector and fitted sheet. The mattress cover despite being high quality, takes something away from the soft feel of the latex I think. This has added a great deal of comfort. I think I will leave it alone for now and continue getting used to it and allowing everything to further break in. I have attached a picture of how it looks in our smallish 2nd story bedroom (1920ā€™s bungalow). Sorry no pics of the assembly process.

Reply to William17,

Thank you for the update. And thanks for the photo - thatā€™s a very beautiful bedspread and a nice looking master bedroom.

One thing I would recommend is that if you do end up keeping this as your final configuration, you may wish to place your topper in a more protective covering to help with oxidation, UV and mechanical wear and tear. There are thinner covers that donā€™t detract as much from the latex, and a few good suppliers are listed in the component section here.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. I considered maybe doing something like the Suite Sleep organic cotton protector (double stretch knit and nice deep pockets) rather than the thin cheap one I have on it now. It is a bit pricey though. I consider these top most layers almost ā€œsacrificialā€ in that they will take the most wear over time. The thin latex layer I just bought from foamorder.com was priced very reasonable including shipping. Sold as 100% natural but I have no way to verify. Has the same feel and quality as my AZ Prem Mattress latex. The beauty of all this is that I can easily replace or change something. An option I did not have with the old Restonic memory foam mattress that became much too soft with use.

Just a couple of other comments. I really like the temperature regulation of this configuration. It does not build up heat throughout the night, a problem we had before. Stays really consistent and comfortable. Support is really nice, the zoned L&P pocket coils doing their job as advertised. I like the freedom of movement, changing positions or just getting out of bed, absolutely no stuck feeling. Just a little motion transfer from my partner, but itā€™s not enough to wake me in the middle of the night. And going from a Queen to a Cal. King has been wonderful! That extra foot of width makes a huge difference.

Hi William 17,

Thank you for your update and comments. Iā€™m glad youā€™re enjoying your new configuration and that it is sleeping comfortably and the temperature is also comfortable for you. It is nice having that extra ā€œreal estateā€, isnā€™t it?

Phoenix

Going to buy another mattress or two from DreamFoam, but they donā€™t have the 10% off like they did when I bought 9 months ago. Do they have a discount here?

What about Brooklyn Bedding?

Hi JMSFCA,

The TMU discounts for site members are listed with the information for each member of the site here. Dreamfoam normally has a pillow discount for site members, and Brooklyn Bedding normally has a 5% discount for site members.

I just went to the Dreamfoam site and they currently have an offer of two free pillows + 10% off on purchases over $450.00.

Phoenix

I appreciate all of the insight and information available on this forum! Iā€™m in the market for a new mattress and a complete novice. Not sure how Iā€™d make an informed decision without a resource like this.

Hi LIC614,

Iā€™m happy that the information presented here has been helpful to you, and hopefully youā€™ve had a chance to read the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice ā€¦ and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Iā€™ll be interested in learning of any mattress buying decisions you might make, plush of course any questions you may have.

Phoenix

Which mattress did you get from mattresses.net? I am thinking about the Eco Sleep Hybrid. Are you happy with your decision?

Hi Tobyrosie,

Iā€™m not sure to whom you were addressing your question, but I always advise to be cautious about putting too much stock into other peopleā€™s comments about how a mattress is working for them and then applying that to you, as you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be careful about using anyone elseā€™s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you. In many if not most cases these comments, no matter how well meant, can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words ā€¦ reviews or other peopleā€™s experiences in general wonā€™t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here). Just something to keep in mind.

Phoenix

Wow, lots of great information on this site. Thanks!

Hi Brian99,

Iā€™m glad youā€™ve found us and the information here has ben useful to you. Hopefully youā€™ve had the time to read through the mattress shopping tutorial and use the information presented to guide you through your mattress shopping process.

Phoenix