Don't forget to ask for your "The Mattress Underground" forum member discount/bonus

Man, thereā€™s a lot to take in. Just started the research of a new mattress. Looks like I have a lot of learning to do.

Hi dharmlost,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I hope that you find the information here useful. A good place to start is the mattress shopping tutorial here. Iā€™ll do my best to answer questions you have as you pour through the information presented on the site.

Phoenix

Thank you. Excellent tutorial.

Hi Bosco Is Tired.

Youā€™re welcome. Iā€™m glad you found the tutorial helpful.

Phoenix

Thank you for such an informative and helpful site! I know so much more than I ever thought I would (or thought I wanted to, honestly) about the functions and construction of mattresses. Most of all, I have learned how important it is to know these things when buying a mattress. I feel empowered to buy my best mattress ever. Thank you!

Hi Amybec1,

Thanks for your kind words. Be sure to browse through the mattress shopping tutorial here as you go through your mattress research process. Iā€™ll be interested to learn of any questions you have or shopping decisions you make. And remember to use your Mattress Underground discount if you end up making a purchase from one of the members here of the forum.

Phoenix

Wow, who knew there was so much to know about mattresses? My wife found your site, and we have spent many hours reading articles, forum posts, etc. here. We live in Charleston, SC, and, thanks to the advice and information on this site, will probably purchase a latex bed from Sleeping Organic in the next few days.

Thanks for all your work in making this website and keeping it going!
Bob Irving

Hi birving,

Iā€™m happy that youā€™ve found us!

As youā€™re aware, Sleeping Organic is a site member here, which means that I think highly of them. If you do decide to make a purchase there, be sure to take advantage of your Mattress Underground discount listed for them.

Iā€™ll be interested in learning what you decide to do.

Phoenix

This is really great forum and website. Buying mattress is not an easy task and this website provides a lot of help. Thanks a lot for doing good work!

I just purchased a mattress from Parklane Mattress, when they provided me the forum member discount, it was to this generic pillow (Explore Our Portland Mattress Stores | BedMart). It says ā€œposition specific pillowā€ on your site, do you know if I should have had a different one? When trying the bed, I did like this pillow (Explore Our Portland Mattress Stores | BedMart), but he made it sound like it was only valid for the link I sent.

Hi psasal,

Be sure to reference the mattress shopping tutorial here as you go through your mattress research process. Iā€™ll be interested to learn of any questions you have or shopping decisions you make. And remember to use your Mattress Underground discount if you end up making a purchase from one of the members here of the forum.

Phoenix

Hi GoDucks,

Iā€™m not aware of all of the pillow offerings that Parklane provides for the bonus for TMU members. ā€œPosition Specificā€ would just mean that whatever they offer for the promotion should match your sleeping style, which I believe is primarily on your back, and this pillow should work well for that. You could always ask them if there is another offering, or if you desire another pillow if they would be willing to provide you a credit/discount on that pillow, as the pillow you like retails for twice as much as the pillow they are offering for free.

Phoenix

Awesome informative site! We thought we wanted an air number bed but the info here convinced us to go with a latex bed. We were able to ID factory direct retailers thru your membership directory and have decided to purchase our bed from Arizona Premier Mattress. Thanks so much for developing and, most importantly, maintaining this site so that there is always up-to-date info.

Hi nmex,

Congratulations on your new Arizona Premium mattress purchase! :cheer: Iā€™ll be interested in learning about your new mattress once youā€™ve had a chance to sleep upon it for a while.

Phoenix

Thanks for all your great work!

Another long term update continued from post #1407. After plenty of time for break in I found myself having trouble with shoulder soreness and sometimes waking up with my arm asleep. So, after some more experimentation, the current configuration is (from bottom to top): L&P zoned pocket coils, 6" latex (med one side, firm other side), 2" memory foam, 1" latex (soft). Was trying to avoid the polyfoam, but it has helped with the pressure relief. Also I am not using the original AZ Prem Mattress cover. I went with the 4-way stretch cover from SleepEZ.com. This also relieved some pressure on my shoulder and really gets you closer to the true feeling of the foam. This configuration feels pretty darned good, and I typically donā€™t toss and turn very much. Itā€™s kind of a feel right between memory foam and latex, I like it. The only nitpick I have now is maybe my hips sink just a little too far. Was thinking of replacing the pelvic / lumbar area of the bottom-most layer with firmer latex (zoning). But, not sure yet.

HI hbkreger65,

I appreciate your kind words. I hope you have the time to read through the Mattress Shopping Tutorial to assist you along your mattress shopping experience, and feel free to post back with any questions you may have.

Phoenix

Hi William17,

Thank you for your update.

Just a quick question ā€“ do you have 6" of latex directly on top of the spring unit, then 2" of memory foam and then 1" of latex? Or is the first layer of latex on top of the spring unit 3" thick?

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, sorry for the late response. A member of my immediate family passed away so I have been kinda busy. The 6" of latex I speak of is two 3" toppers. The spring unit is not enclosed in a cover now. All of the foam is inside of the SleepEZ cover. Not elegant or recommended but itā€™s mostly hidden by the deep pocket fitted sheet. I use sheet suspenders to keep the corners on and that works well. Hindsight is always 20/20 I guess. I sold my practically brand new original mattress cover and latex topper to a co-worker friend for a very good price. Itā€™s quite comfortable now and at the correct height from the floor, so Iā€™m satisfied with the outcome.

Well itā€™s been a bit over 2 months since I received my 12" Arctic Dream mattress and I must say that I am extremely happy with my choice. As a side sleeper, Iā€™ve been used to waking up at least once or twice a week with a very sore shoulder from sleeping on it ā€œwrongā€. Since Iā€™ve had my new mattress - not once!
The only disappointment was that they didnā€™t send me the free pillowā€¦but the mattress alone was well worth the price and then some!