Don't forget to ask for your "The Mattress Underground" forum member discount/bonus

Hi GoDucks,

Iā€™m not aware of all of the pillow offerings that Parklane provides for the bonus for TMU members. ā€œPosition Specificā€ would just mean that whatever they offer for the promotion should match your sleeping style, which I believe is primarily on your back, and this pillow should work well for that. You could always ask them if there is another offering, or if you desire another pillow if they would be willing to provide you a credit/discount on that pillow, as the pillow you like retails for twice as much as the pillow they are offering for free.

Phoenix

Awesome informative site! We thought we wanted an air number bed but the info here convinced us to go with a latex bed. We were able to ID factory direct retailers thru your membership directory and have decided to purchase our bed from Arizona Premier Mattress. Thanks so much for developing and, most importantly, maintaining this site so that there is always up-to-date info.

Hi nmex,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Congratulations on your new Arizona Premium mattress purchase! :cheer: Iā€™ll be interested in learning about your new mattress once youā€™ve had a chance to sleep upon it for a while.

Phoenix

Thanks for all your great work!

Another long term update continued from post #1407. After plenty of time for break in I found myself having trouble with shoulder soreness and sometimes waking up with my arm asleep. So, after some more experimentation, the current configuration is (from bottom to top): L&P zoned pocket coils, 6" latex (med one side, firm other side), 2" memory foam, 1" latex (soft). Was trying to avoid the polyfoam, but it has helped with the pressure relief. Also I am not using the original AZ Prem Mattress cover. I went with the 4-way stretch cover from SleepEZ.com. This also relieved some pressure on my shoulder and really gets you closer to the true feeling of the foam. This configuration feels pretty darned good, and I typically donā€™t toss and turn very much. Itā€™s kind of a feel right between memory foam and latex, I like it. The only nitpick I have now is maybe my hips sink just a little too far. Was thinking of replacing the pelvic / lumbar area of the bottom-most layer with firmer latex (zoning). But, not sure yet.

HI hbkreger65,

I appreciate your kind words. I hope you have the time to read through the Mattress Shopping Tutorial to assist you along your mattress shopping experience, and feel free to post back with any questions you may have.

Phoenix

Hi William17,

Thank you for your update.

Just a quick question ā€“ do you have 6" of latex directly on top of the spring unit, then 2" of memory foam and then 1" of latex? Or is the first layer of latex on top of the spring unit 3" thick?

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, sorry for the late response. A member of my immediate family passed away so I have been kinda busy. The 6" of latex I speak of is two 3" toppers. The spring unit is not enclosed in a cover now. All of the foam is inside of the SleepEZ cover. Not elegant or recommended but itā€™s mostly hidden by the deep pocket fitted sheet. I use sheet suspenders to keep the corners on and that works well. Hindsight is always 20/20 I guess. I sold my practically brand new original mattress cover and latex topper to a co-worker friend for a very good price. Itā€™s quite comfortable now and at the correct height from the floor, so Iā€™m satisfied with the outcome.

Well itā€™s been a bit over 2 months since I received my 12" Arctic Dream mattress and I must say that I am extremely happy with my choice. As a side sleeper, Iā€™ve been used to waking up at least once or twice a week with a very sore shoulder from sleeping on it ā€œwrongā€. Since Iā€™ve had my new mattress - not once!
The only disappointment was that they didnā€™t send me the free pillowā€¦but the mattress alone was well worth the price and then some!

Hi William17,

Iā€™m very sorry to hear about your family member passing away. :frowning:

Thank you for your update, and Iā€™m happy youā€™re pleased with your mattress outcome.

Phoenix

Hi JustGary,

Thanks for your update, and Iā€™m glad youā€™re happy with your Arctic Dreams mattress. As you know, you certainly made a very good value choice.

Regarding your pillow, that is a bonus offered to TMU members by Dreamfoam if you are ordering directly through them or having the order fulfilled through them. If another company was fulfilling the order, or if there was another promotion that superseded this promo, or if you contacted them a bit after placing the order, you wouldnā€™t qualify for the pillow promo, but it certainly wouldnā€™t hurt to phone them and inquire about it.

Phoenix

Hi there,

This is my first forum post (perhaps my first ever forum post?) and I just wanted to thank you for the valuable resource this site offers to mattress consumers like me! I probabaly spent at least 3-4 hours researching and learning from your website and sharing everything with my husband as he was falling asleep on our sad mattress over a number of nights (we knew nothing and were newlywed looking for a mattress when we bought our sad mattress).

We have decided based upon research and recommendation from this site to purchase a cotton futon for our son as his first big bed, and will possibly consider purchasing a bed from the same retailer (Memory Foam Comfort) when we replace our own mattress. I am still trying to wrap my head around what that will look like, but I have been learning I would like a firmer support, hopefully we will come to some kind of conclusion eventually on our own mattress purchase.

Thanks again!

Hi ccox,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile: And congratulations on the new futon mattress for your son from Memory Foam Comfort. :cheer:

If you come up with more specific questions about a potential purchase for your own mattress, feel free to post on the forum and Iā€™ll do my best to answer your questions. I know youā€™ve been reading already on the site, but make sure that the mattress shopping tutorial is part of that research.

Phoenix

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Thanks for all the information, Phoenix. I definitely feel more empowered to make a decision.

Hi phillipjg,

I hope you find the information here useful as you go through your mattress shopping journey, starting with the mattress shopping tutorial here. Iā€™ll be interested to learn of any buying decisions that you make, and of course any questions that you may have.

Phoenix

Thank you for all of your work. The articles and tutorials have been extremely useful in my research for a new mattress. I am leaning toward a Sleep on Latex - 9" medium mattress. I think itā€™ll be the best option for my partner and I and is within our price range.

I do have a couple questions:

1. Could we use our old box spring with this mattress?
  2. Do we need to purchase a mattress protector?

Many thanks!
A.R.

Hi Quam,

Iā€™m happy the articles and the tutorial here have been helpful to you.

Sleep on Latex does use good quality and durable componentry in their mattresses, and they are a site member here, which means that I think highly of them. If you do order from them, be sure to ask for your Mattress Underground 5% discount!

As for a foundation, they recommend:
a platform base or slatted foundation with spacing that is 3" apart or less. If you need to use a box spring, we strongly suggest using a bunky board or plywood board for extra support

Iā€™m not sure if what youā€™re referring to as your ā€œbox springā€ is an actual coil spring unit or something more along the lines of a typical foundation (many people use the term ā€œbox springā€ as a general descriptor for anything placed under a mattress), so youā€™d want to check that it aligns with the guidance from Sleep on Latex.

Youā€™ll want to use some sort of a mattress pad, protector or encasement to help keep your mattress as healthy of a sleep environment as possible. What you choose is personal and due to the level of protection you desire (waterproof, level of encasement, material usedā€¦). But I would not simply place a fitted sheet directly over the mattress, as over time your body oils and skin cells will become embedded into the outer covering of the mattress.

Phoenix

Thank you for the information provided on this site, Iā€™ve visited on and off before finally joining.

Question about the member discount. Weā€™re moving into a new house and Iā€™m replacing all of our beds/mattresses/pillows for the entire family. Iā€™ve budgeted for this but obviously the member discount will be helpful. I will most likely be purchasing from Sleep on Latex as Iā€™ve purchased a topper from them before. Does the 5% apply to the entire purchase or only one mattress?

Thank you!

I will be buying 3 mattresses and 5 pillows total.

Hi Mamaof3,

Iā€™m happy that youā€™ve enjoyed the information here on the site.

Regarding the TMU discounts offered by manufacturing members, I donā€™t dictate how that is applied or in what quantities it is allowed, so that is something youā€™d wish to discuss with any site member (such as Sleep on Latex) you were considering.

Iā€™ll be interested in learning what you decide to do. Thatā€™s a lot of mattresses!

Phoenix