Don't forget to ask for your "The Mattress Underground" forum member discount/bonus

The Mattress Underground has helped me learn of the existence of many mattress companies. Thank you for providing this resource.

Hi atlr,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum!

I hope that youā€™ve been able to learn more than the existence of the many various mattress companies here on the forum, and hopefully youā€™ve been able to learn a bit about mattress construction and the things to look for when shopping for a mattress here.

Iā€™ll look forward to learning of any questions you may have or any purchase decisions that you may make.

Phoenix

Thank you so much for maintaining this site. Iā€™ve learned much about mattress construction and appreciate the list of Trusted Members in the Bay Area.

Reply to tofu_dragon,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Iā€™m happy that youā€™re learning about mattress construction, and I look forward to answering any questions that you may have.

Phoenix

Great forum! Looking forward to researching my next mattress. :slight_smile:

Hi j616129,

Iā€™m glad you found out about us and I hope you are able to take advantage of the information presented here, starting with the mattress shopping tutorial here. Iā€™ll be happy to answer any questions that you may have.

Phoenix

Thanks for this incredible resource! Iā€™ve spent past few days doing some quick research as I have to buy a mattress for my son, who is moving into an off-campus apartment at college. Iā€™ve read the tutorial and quite a few posts in the forum which is helping the decision process. Given this is his senior year, and I donā€™t know if the mattress will be moved to wherever he goes post-graduation, I am looking for a lower-cost/high-value foam mattress. He is a side/back sleeper, and is 5ā€™8" and 175 lbs.
Heā€™s not very particular, as he seems to be able to sleep on almost any surface :slight_smile: . He has some dust allergies, and I prefer a mattress made in North America, and it must be Certi-PUR.

He goes to school in Vermont and so the mattress needs to be shipped to him as we are pressed for time and there arenā€™t a lot of local options anyway. Top of the list is the 10" Arctic Dreams from Dreamfoam so Iā€™m heading off to get some questions answered from them now.

Thanks again for the great information.

Hi loxanna

Welcome to our forum and thank you for your kind words. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m not sure what youā€™ve read aside from the mattress shopping tutorial which is indeed the first place to start your research, just in case you havenā€™t read these yet two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure youā€™ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best ā€œmatchā€ for your son in terms of ā€œcomfortā€, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and his own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesnā€™t turn out as well as you hoped for and post #13 here which has more about the most important parts of the ā€œvalueā€ of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesnā€™t turn out as well as you hoped for).

As your local area mattress shopping options are so limited you can easily find online options that fit your budget range and ship nationwide. Some of the better online options I am aware of and I consider to be good quality for value, which are also our trusted members and are listed in post #21 here and who are all very experienced and knowledgeable and specialize in providing the type of help and guidance on the phone that can help you make good choices. There are a wide range of latex and memory foam and other options included in the choices there and I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

In addition to the online members of the site listed in the previous membership link ā€¦ post #12 here has some of the better online memory foam options for those who are looking for a memory foam mattress.

For those that have a more restricted budget then post #4 here and the posts it links to also include many of the better lower budget online options Iā€™m aware of as well.

Posts #1 and #2 in this topic also includes more information about the new "breedā€™ of ā€œsimplified choiceā€ mattresses (aka ā€œone choice fits allā€ or ā€œuniversal comfortā€ or ā€œbed in a boxā€ or ā€œdisruptorā€ or ā€œmillennialā€ mattresses) that are available online as well that are typically in a budget range of between $600 and $1000 (queen size).

While I can certainly help with ā€œhowā€ to choose ā€¦ Itā€™s not possible to make specific suggestions or recommendations for either a mattress, manufacturers/retailers, or combinations of materials or components because the first ā€œruleā€ of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best ā€œmatchā€ for you in terms of ā€œcomfortā€, firmness, or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) or how a mattress will ā€œfeelā€ to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), sleeping positions, health conditions, or ā€œtheory at a distanceā€ that can possibly be more reliable than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

Side sleepers in general tend to need a softer mattress than back or stomach sleepers and an online retailer will generally suggest a mattress that they believe will have the best chance for success (based on averages) since a return is very costly to an online retailer or manufacturer and itā€™s in their best interests to make a suggestion that they believe will have the least possible chance of being returned.

Dust allergies would more of a concern with keeping a healthy clean environment make sure he uses a good mattress pad and a newer pillow, and that he washes his sheets frequently and that he vacuums around his sleeping area.

As you may be aware, Dreamfoam is a member of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with thebest in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. They are extremely knowledgeable about latex and different configurations, and I would not hesitate to recommend them for your consideration. The Arctic Dreams certainly represents one of the better value option for your specific needs.

Hopefully this gives you good information, it looks like you are on a good track and Iā€™ll be interesting to learn what you decide to do.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix:

The folks at Dreamfoam were very helpful answering my questions, and I ordered the 10" Arctic Dreams, which will arrive later this week. Separately, I also ordered the 14" Zinus Quick-Snap frame as that can be assembled (and disassembled) very easily without tools, has wood slats less than 3" apart, has space to store his guitars under the bed, and was within our budget. Iā€™ll post again once my son reports his experience sleeping on the new bed. Thanks again.

Hello Phoenix. I have been reading the forum for a couple months now while my wife and i have been looking for a mattress. We checked the big chain stores before i started reading and the experience was not a good one. Especially the pushy salemen. If it wasnā€™t for you and this forums wealth of information i think we would still be looking . After reading here and finding nest bedding in ny we decided to try it out. (Never heard of them before reading here). It was a wonderful experience. The customer service was very knowledgeable and friendly. They let you have your space to try all the mattresses but were close by to answer all questions. My wife and I chose the alexander signature hybrid mattress. It felt the best to us in comfort and support. Hopefully it will allow us to sleep for many years comfortably.
I donā€™t normally write in forums, just do a lot of reading but i wanted to say thank you for all the time and effort you put into this forum. It is very informative and helpful.
Thanks

Hi loxanna,

Congratulations on your new mattress purchase! :cheer: Iā€™m happy that Dreamfoam was very assistive when you contacted them, and as you know I do think highly of them as a site member.

The guitar storage under the bed being key!

Youā€™re welcome! Iā€™ll look forward to learning of your sonā€™s opinion on the mattress once heā€™s had a chance to sleep upon it for a while.

Phoenix

Hi Demise,

Iā€™m sorry about having some bad experiences when you were shopping for a mattress, but Iā€™m happy that you found us here and were able to use the information presented to make an informed mattress buying decision.

Iā€™m glad you were able to try out the Nest beds in their NYC showroom personally. As youā€™re aware, they are a site member here, which means that I think highly of them. And most of all, congratulations on your new mattress purchase! :cheer:

I appreciate you taking the time to do so, and I hope youā€™ll report back in the future about your experience with your new mattress.

Phoenix

Phoenix,
I was set on purchasing a split cal king air mattress with an adjustable base until I came across this forum. After days of researching I have narrowed down my choice to a split cal king latex mattress from Flexus Comfort which Iā€™m on my way to try them out right now and the Reverie 8q adjustable base. I will give an update when I make my decision and both items arrive.

Ray

Hi Rkd,

Iā€™ll be interested to learn of your shopping trip, and any decisions that you might make. Iā€™m glad you found us!

Phoenix

Thanks for all the wonderful information. I am learning a lot and look forward to buying our first latex mattress.

Thanks to the info here, Iā€™ve just ordered a queen mattress from FLOBEDS. It is coming across the country, but should be here in a week. Iā€™ll post more later on how I like it.

Hi vijkamal,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :cheer:

I hope youā€™ll be able to use the information presented here on the site to assist with your research, and Iā€™m looking forward to learning about any buying decisions you make, or questions you may have.

Phoenix

Hi snailgail,

Congratulations on your new mattress purchase! :cheer: You certainly chose from a site member of whom I think highly. Iā€™ll look forward to your comments upon your mattress once youā€™ve had a chance to sleep upon it for a while.

Phoenix

Good luck!

Looking for a good mattress at a great deal. Very helpful forums. Thanks!