Don't forget to ask for your "The Mattress Underground" forum member discount/bonus

Thank you for creating such an informative site. My search for a new mattress began several months ago with the google search “what makes a good mattress” which lead me to TMU. I’ve done a lot of searching in the forums since then. I have not needed to create a new post because you always have links in your replies which contains the information I’m looking for. I’m ready to make a purchase and I feel confident it will be the right one for me.

Hey srider,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :).

Thank you for the nice words about TMU and so glad you have found help in what can be an incredibly tedious process for some. Well done!

Please don’t hesitate to ask any other questions you may have, and do check out our trusted membersduring your evaluations. Thank you.

Sensei

Thank you for all the information you’ve provided!

We relied for years on our local mattress store. He was a small operation, one small family operated store, had been in business for years but in 2015, they closed their doors. After three purchases over the last decade for our three kids, he never steered us wrong. All three mattresses are still in wonderful shape, but my oldest son has just plain outgrown his twin bed (after growing 5 inches in under 2 years). So, we started by going to the only local bedding stores in our town (all chains). Unimpressed and after escaping one very high pressured “only get this price today” sales tactic, we came home empty-handed and turned to the internet.

Now better educated thanks to this forum, we are heading out to Fox Mattress in Holly Hill tomorrow. While it is a two hour drive for us, I’m much more hopeful we will find the right mattress.

Hi jmeyer98,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :), and thank you for your kind appreciation for the TMU.

It is a sad but very common story about small family mattress retailers, they simply cannot afford to stay in business. The mattress industry is also a reflection the changing relationship between consumers and industry and the effect of advertising and (sad to say) the loss of critical thinking and long term thinking (IMO) on a larger level. I could probably spend the next few months on this single subject which would open the door to even more thoughts and comments and I should probably stop while I’m ahead.

I am glad you decided to pay a visit to Fox Mattress as this is the most “efficient” shortcut and helps you discuss and test your options at the same time. With their many years of knowledge and experience they are a most reliable source of guidance and would have your best interests at heart to “talk you through” the specifics of their mattress and its properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (temperature regulation, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them. As you are aware they are a Trusted member of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

Good luck on your visit with them and we look forward to your update.
Don’t hesitate to ask any questions if you have them.

Phoenix

Hi I’m looking for a mattress and I recently went to the brick as I’m purchasing some other furniture from there. I tried the stearns snd foster queensbridge plush eurotop king size, as I was told it was their best Mattress. They would do $2200 with the box spring for me. Would anyone be able to tell me if this is a god quality mattress and if that is a good price?

Thank you

Hi Marc99,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :)! Thanks for the post.

Unfortunately, I do not see the Queensbridge listed on the Brick website. I see on the S&F CA website that the Founders Collection is made exclusively for The Brick.

Did the sales associate tell you what the materials are? Did they have any spec documents? Or is this just old inventory and you are getting a good deal on? I don’t really think you will receive any detailed specs, as Tempur Sealy is one of the Top 20 Major Companies, and these companies are not transparent with their information. Looks like a good price if you are just comparing the price against other Stearns & Foster models.

The only way to know for certain whether any specific mattress will be a suitable choice that provides you with both the right comfort/pressure relief and support/alignment will be based on your own careful testing or your own personal experience when sleeping. Different people can have very different needs and preferences in a mattress in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences).

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice.

Let us know if you find any detailed specs and if we can be of further support.

Phoenix

I appreciate all the information found here. Helped me choose a 13" King from SleepEZ. Finding information regarding the base/frame was even more helpful than the mattress.

Hi chisav,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile: and thank you for the nice words about TMU.

Congratulations on the King 13" from Sleep EZ, one of our loyal members providing excellent service and quality/value products. I am glad our site was helpful in finding info on the bed/frame. We have heard people tell us that in the past. Good luck with your new mattress and let us know if you have any updates or questions.

Phoenix

It looks like the Sleepopolis code (8%) for Nest Bedding may work out better in some cases depending on the size/type of mattress you are ordering.

Are there any others I am missing for Nest Bedding that may not be posted in the Trusted Members section?

Just joined and wanted to thank you for this great resource! This really is a daunting process but I think I’ve finally figured out what I like (innerspring with latex)!

Hi emilyadi.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile: You’re very welcome, and I’m happy that you’ve found us.

I am glad that you settled on the feel you like “innerspring with latex” this layer combination is a favorite choice among many customers for many reasons … the next step is to find the most appropriate firmness in terms of comfort/support for your specific needs. The process can be “daunting” but like with everything of importance, this is time and energy well spent and we are here to help along the way. B)

Let us know if you have any questions.
Phoenix

Just signed up here, really appreciate the more genuine helpful info found here that doesn’t read like a marketing brochure from one of the mattress companies. Very difficult to do research but this site certainly helps. Thanks!

Hi Shinobot,

Welcome to the forum :).

Glad to have you here, and I love the line you used:

That really is a great and honest opinion, compliment and constructive criticism. We are working on this and I certainly appreciate your candor.

I’m not sure what you’ve read since you found the site but just in case you haven’t read it yet … the first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice … and perhaps more importantly know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

Two of the most important links in the tutorial that I would especially make sure you’ve read are post #2 here which has more about the different ways to choose a suitable mattress (either locally or online) that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) that can help you assess and minimize the risks of making a choice that doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.
Additionally, post #13 here explains more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other choices.

I look forward to your next post with any questions you may have.
Phoenix

Thank you for creating this site & making it available to all of us consumers looking for a new mattress. I’ve been reading up for the past week. It seems most of my questions are answered except for which exact mattresses on the market today meet my criteria & budget. But that’s a separate post and I think I can muddle through the makers and get an answer to that question.

Hey Lee_WSP,

Welcome to the mattress forum:).

Thank you for those nice words and please don’t hesitate to post if you have other questions. Good luck!

Thanks,
Sensei

Not sure if this is the best topic to locate this post, but it seemed like a fit! First, THANK YOU so much for the TMU site. My wife and I are 56 & 58, empty-nesters downsizing our house size about 50%. We have different sleep styles and weights. I snore! We had a 5 yr old “Brand Name” mattress that was amazing for 6 months, less comfortable by the year mark, and torture by 18 months. It is NOT making the move with us in August! I finally stumbled onto TMU after many hours, over several weeks of researching mattresses and components. A lot of what I read confirmed what I thought I knew, and much more was brand new and helped put “all the pieces together” for me.

Long story, short; we felt we wanted a spring hybrid and I was thinking Latex, but there were NO dealers in our Jacksonville, Florida area where we could “test” a few beds to compare. By using your Trusted Members list, I was able to find Fox Mattress only 90 minutes’ drive away. We planned a trip and were lucky to connect with Chelsea - the owner’s daughter upon arrival. We spent two hours discussing and sampling beds and materials. She was patient and definitely an expert. We thought we needed split (internal or otherwise) bedding to make us both happy. Instead we wound up with a mattress that has a ton of support (L&P QE Elite Coils, Latex AND their Soy-based foam for a pillowy top that is VERY dense - I think 3.5 lb??). Yay. Also, it is flippable, so bonus there. Yes, we spent more than we planned, but he mattress value is really much more than the extra cost.

When we first walked in, we said we had been researching and looking on-line for some time and decided to drive down from JAX. Chelsea immediately said “Mattress Underground”. She gave us the TMU discount without us mentioning it at all, and that was after working out a deal for us to afford the addition of an adjustable base. Great folks, who appear to make a great product. I just wanted to thank you for the site, the recommendation, and also confirm directly that Fox is a great place. Of course, this is all before we even get to sleep on our new mattress, as our house is being built! Will update with more comment on the actual mattress after a few nights sleep.

Hi KTsoundman,

Welcome to our mattress forum :).

Great post, thank you so much for posting. I moved it into it’s own thread about Fox Mattress, it’s better this way for all. Great story, I am not surprised as Chelsea Carter is the third generation Carter to help manage the business. Yes they are truly experts and I am quite confident in the value of the materials they used, and the service you will get.

Well done with the summary and we will look for your updates in August. Good luck with the move!!!

Thanks,
Sensei

Hello!

Thank you for this wonderful forum. I’ve been strongly considering CozyPure. As a side sleeper, I called this morning and they recommended a medium firmness (on the Queen size). Do you think one of their mattress toppers would be needed as well or is just the mattress going to do the trick?

Thank again,
Cameron

Hi seeaemearohin,

Welcome to our mattress forum! :slight_smile: … and thank you for your kind words.

I am glad that you talked to Cozypure. I greatly trust their knowledge and expertise and as you know they are trusted members of our mattress site which means that I think highly of and consider to be the best in the industry. You did not provide any specific details (BMI, seeping positions, history with other beds, etc…) but sticking with CozyPure recommendation is probably the safest route to get a bed that is a good match for you. Only after sleeping on it for some time, maybe 20-30 days, you can reevaluate and decide whether or not you need the topper.

I look forward to your future updates or any other questions you may have and good luck with this decision.

Phoenix

Just wanted to report back about our purchase of a mattress at Sleeponlatex.com with the discount from TMU. All went very well; no issues. Very satisfied with the process that in large part began here at TMU. Regarding the mattress itself we have only just set it up. Thanks for the comprehensive information.