Don't forget to ask for your "The Mattress Underground" forum member discount/bonus

Yep and thatā€™s why we went! Didnā€™t meet Rick but worked Wayne. He was friendly, thoughtful and helpful. We told him our goals/wants. We knew we wanted innerspring and we told him we were flexible on budget. He steered us to two reasonably priced mattresses that were good, showed us how they were constructed. Then in talking a bit more, he realized we werenā€™t opposed to spending more. So he took us up to a higher end mattress and it was perfect. But I respected he didnā€™t start us at the most expensive on the floor! I sold mattresses for a couple years once upon a time in another life but it has all changed since then, so between the invaluable research and info here and the pleasant experience at Fox, Iā€™m a very happy buyer! Easiest mattress shopping Iā€™ve had to do! And I already shared the link to here with my friends on fb. Iā€™ll be sure to post updates once the bed is delivered and then a bit after as well! Thanks again, Phoenix! Without this site I would have never heard of fox mattress!

Hi Nikki,

An easy shopping experience is a ā€œgood thingā€ ā€¦ and a lot different from what most consumers experience in the market!

Thanks for the kind words as well and Iā€™m glad that the site could help you. Iā€™m looking forward to your feedback when youā€™ve had the chance to sleep on your new mattress for a bit as well.

Most important ā€¦ thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback about your experience at Fox Mattress ā€¦ and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

PS: I switched your posts and my replies to a new topic so it will be easier to find for others that are considering Fox Mattress.

Thanks for all the information! Iā€™ve been searching for a reasonably priced memory foam bed and will likely go with Restava after coming across this website.

Hi ZZZzzz,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

As you probably know ā€¦ Restava is one of the members here which means that I think very highly of them and that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, and service.

You are certainly looking in a good direction and Iā€™m looking forward to your feedback and finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

This forum is outstanding but I will admit being overwhelmed by trying to absorb all of the information. I am currently in the market for a new mattress and I canā€™t get past selecting the type (inner spring, latex, memory foam etc.) much less move towards selecting the actual mattress. I am leaning towards latex but it is almost impossible to try them. Most are sold online. I have a natural instinct not to buy something so expensive that I canā€™t see and touch. Oh well. I will have to make up my mind soon. Just donā€™t want to make an expensive mistake.

Hi mjobtx,

There is certainly a lot of information here and thatā€™s one of the main reasons I wrote the mattress shopping tutorial which has all the most important information, steps, and guidelines all in one place so you can focus on the steps and information that are most important.

In most cases ā€¦ all you need is ā€œjust enoughā€ information to be able to recognize a knowledgeable and experienced manufacturer or retailer that already knows what you would otherwise need to learn and who you deal with can be one of the most important parts of a successful mattress purchase.

Once you get to step 3 in the tutorial if you let me know your city or zip code Iā€™d be happy to let you know of the better options or possibilities Iā€™m aware of in your area. There is really no substitute for personal experience to decide on the general type of mattresses and materials you tend to prefer and once you have a better sense of this then all the other information will make much more sense. All the written descriptions in the world still wonā€™t tell you what you will ā€œfeelā€ on a mattress or different materials or what you may prefer unless you have a frame of reference based on your own experience.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. Your site is so full information that I had not yet made it to that thread. FYI: My zip code is 75023 (Plano, TX). I fully expect to have to buy online from an out of state source. That will require some due diligence. I am leaning towards natural latex for a host of reasons and there is little to be found locally.

Thanks Phoenix. Your site is so full information that I had not yet made it to that thread. FYI: My zip code is 75023 (Plano, TX). I fully expect to have to buy online from an out of state source. That will require some due diligence. I am leaning towards natural latex for a host of reasons and there is little to be found locally.

Hi mjobtx,

The better options and possibilities Iā€™m aware of in and around the Dallas area are listed in post #4 here and it includes several manufacturers and retailers where you can test latex and/or latex hybrid mattresses.

Phoenix

Great site. Was referred by a post on reddit.com. It feels good to be well-informed.

Hi Moonbiter,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad you discovered the site :slight_smile:

Just in case you havenā€™t read it yet ā€¦ the first place I would start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible choices.

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up choosing and of course any comments or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Great site - lots of details and information to digest!

Hi tdog,

Welcome :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up choosing ā€¦ and of course any feedback or questions you may have along the way.

Phoenix

Making my first post here as we are about to pull the trigger on a mattress from CozyPure. This site is 100% why we went with them based on all the reading Iā€™ve done here. I cannot thank you enough! I will post a review after we get our new mattress and get settled into it. Iā€™m a hot sleeper so I hope to give some valuable feedback. Thanks Phoenix!

Hi canisrufus,

Coincidentally, I had a great conversation with Cheryl at CozyPure today and they are excited about their upcoming move into a new and larger factory.

As you know, I think highly of CozyPure and I think you are certainly making a great choice ā€¦ and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it ā€¦ and thanks for taking the time to let us know what you ended up deciding.

Phoenix

Really appreciate all of the wonderful information here on the site. We are newlyweds in San Francisco looking to buy a split king largely for the motion isolation. We have already visited Nest Bedding and Manciniā€™s and were leaning towards the Bed In a Box Serenity Gel or a Serta iComfort (a plush-firm model) but after reading the site are rethinking. I saw the SF listings so hopefully weā€™ll check some of those places out including Foam Order (Natural Sense), the Naturally Organic Sleep store in Burlingame, or maybe even Bay Bed in Santa Cruz (since weā€™re heading down the coast next week anyway). Iā€™m not sure if weā€™ll feel comfortable buying something online, but maybe once our research is complete weā€™ll have a different attitude.

Based on my reading of other threads Iā€™m thinking that since my wife sleeps hot, latex over coil might be an interesting place to start. And of course weā€™ll need to look into the mattress protector and other bedding components.

Additionally, since weā€™re doing split king we technically could be doing any combination of mattresses, is there any suggestion for how we should even out the heights should the individual mattresses be different?

Thanks so much!

Hi mchotin,

It may be worth testing mattresses that use good motion isolating materials (including pocket coils and the various types of foam) to see if you really need a split mattress to accomplish the motion isolation that is ā€œenoughā€ for you. Memory foam in particular is a very motion isolating material and latex also does a great job (although memory foam is a little better in this regard). Of course a split mattress would be the most motion isolating of all if nothing else was ā€œgood enoughā€.

[quote] We have already visited Nest Bedding and Manciniā€™s and were leaning towards the Bed In a Box Serenity Gel or a Serta iComfort (a plush-firm model) but after reading the site are rethinking.

Based on my reading of other threads Iā€™m thinking that since my wife sleeps hot, latex over coil might be an interesting place to start. And of course weā€™ll need to look into the mattress protector and other bedding components.[/quote]

Itā€™s good to see youā€™ve been doing some good research and are cautious about mattresses that use lower quality/density foams. A pocket coil/latex hybrid would generally be a very good option for temperature regulation ā€¦ particularly if it included a breathable quilting material such as wool.

If you decide to purchase a split king mattress I would probably tend to choose two mattresses that were the same height in the first place. If you have similar needs and preferences then each twin XL mattress could be the same and if your needs and preferences are different then it may be a good idea to consider two mattresses with the same layer thicknesses in the mattress but different firmness levels in the layers. It may also be worth testing a mattress where each half of a king mattress is customized for each of you so there is no ā€œgapā€ in between the two mattresses as long as the materials are motion isolating enough for you. The first part of post #2 here has more about the different ways that can help a couple whose body types, sleeping positions, or preferences are very different from each other.

If you do decide on two Twin XL mattresses that are a different height then you could add a layer of very firm polyfoam in the appropriate thickness underneath the thinner mattress to bring the sleeping surfaces to the same height but I would only go in this direction if there were no other better options that that met all the criteria that were important to you.

Phoenix

Thank you for all the great information in your site. I am purchasing my mattress online, and feel equipped to make an informed buyer decision. I have been working with Chuck at DreamFoam bedding, an MU member company, for a few days now customizing my mattress based on our preferences, body types and sleep patterns. So far the service has been excellent and his expertise has been very helpful.

Hi Reisland,

Iā€™m glad you found us ā€¦ and welcome :slight_smile:

You are certainly looking in a good direction and as you know I think highly of Dreamfoam (and Chuck) and they make some great quality/value mattresses.

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Hi,

I am new to this forum and think itā€™s great that youā€™ve set up discounts with several mattress companies. I plan to buy a memory foam mattress soon and am considering getting it from Christeli or Restava, but a discount from Restava could have me lean towards them.

Thanks again!!