Don't forget to ask for your "The Mattress Underground" forum member discount/bonus

After just about 10 days on the new mattress I can definitely say Iā€™m a happy camper. The innerspring/latex combination gives just the support to cushion ratio I was looking for, not to mention the coolness factor which is wonderful. The soreness in my right shoulder is reduced, my hips and knees no longer ache after 10 mins in bed. GREAT!

The 7" foundation is made of solid white pine and ensures a firm mattress experience! We got the Leggett & Platt Platinum mattress protector which says it is waterproof and breathable. So far the breathable part seems true. It is thin stretchy terry on one side, some kind of coating on the other side. The Fox salesman swore it was breathable so I got it. So far, so good. I just donā€™t like the plasticky sound it makes against the mattress.

I have been considering a wool mattress pad and after reading the various posts and comments about them will probably go with 45th St Beddingā€™s pad, as I really donā€™t want an extra moisture barrier per se as in the Dormeir. I tried the old poly fill pad from the other bed for a few nights but even sleeping only with the sheet felt too warm, so off it came.

[quote=ā€œMadrigalā€ post=39731]
I have been considering a wool mattress pad and after reading the various posts and comments about them will probably go with 45th St Beddingā€™s pad, as I really donā€™t want an extra moisture barrier per se as in the Dormeir.[/quote]
There is no moisture barrier in the Dormeir; itā€™s just wool and terry cotton.

[quote=ā€œmagpieā€ post=39733][quote=ā€œMadrigalā€ post=39731]
I have been considering a wool mattress pad and after reading the various posts and comments about them will probably go with 45th St Beddingā€™s pad, as I really donā€™t want an extra moisture barrier per se as in the Dormeir.[/quote]
There is no moisture barrier in the Dormeir; itā€™s just wool and terry cotton.[/quote]

Oops! Maybe I am confusing it with another wool pad. Then perhaps the Dormeir would be ideal. People do seem happy with it.

[quote=ā€œmagpieā€ post=39733][quote=ā€œMadrigalā€ post=39731]
There is no moisture barrier in the Dormeir; itā€™s just wool and terry cotton.[/quote]

Now I remember why the confusion: it was my assumption since it is actually called a mattress protector.

Hi axl099020,

Iā€™m glad you found us ā€¦ and welcome :).

Iā€™m looking forward to your feedback after your visit.

Phoenix

Hi Madrigal,

There are different types of mattress protectors (vs mattress pads) which each have different degrees of protection against moisture (waterproof vs water resistant vs moisture absorbing), their effect on the ā€œfeelā€ of a mattress, and on their effect on the sleeping temperature of your mattress.

There is more about the tradeoffs involved when you are choosing between the different types of mattress protectors in post #89 here.

The St Dormeir is a very popular choice because itā€™s thinner than most other cotton/wool mattress protectors so it will have less effect on the ā€œfeelā€ of the mattress, is ā€œwater resistantā€ which for most people would be ā€œenoughā€ protection, and with the wool can also have a positive effect on temperature regulation compared to other less breathable mattress protectors.

Phoenix

Thanks!

Went ahead and ordered the St Dormeir from the snuggledown site. Should get it by Wednesday and I canā€™t wait!

[quote=ā€œMadrigalā€ post=39763]Thanks!

Went ahead and ordered the St Dormeir from the snuggledown site. Should get it by Wednesday and I canā€™t wait![/quote]
I am confident you will be very happy with it.

Iā€™m going to be ordering a tuft and needle 5 incher! Been reading a lot of the forum archives and itā€™s been very helpful

Hi Madrigal,

I think you made a good choice as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi dhp,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! ā€¦ and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I hope you have the chance to share your feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

Thanks for the wealth of information found here. Finally about to go ahead and buy the mattress weā€™ve researched for months!

Hi aclockma,

Iā€™m glad you found us and that the site could help you :slight_smile:

Which mattress are you buying?

Phoenix

Just when I thought Iā€™d go down to the local Leonā€™s and pick up whateverā€™s on sale, I discovered this site. What an excellent source of information, it has made me a better shopper. Now I have a mattress from MFC at the top of my list.

Hi Homer,

Iā€™m glad you found us ā€¦ and you are certainly looking in a good direction :).

I hope you have the chance to let us know what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Thanks for this excellent site. It provided needed information in a relatively unbiased manner. Iā€™ve learned so much about latex mattresses.

It also helped me find local retailers in the Boston area. I will save a $100 dollars because of these great discounts!

Hi mattressnewbie,

Iā€™m glad you found us and that the site could help you :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding (although based on your mention of a discount it sounds like you are considering a mattress purchase from Spindle who is a member of the site in the Boston area).

Phoenix

Thanks for this website and wealth of information.

Iā€™m going mattress shopping today at the Sleep EZ showroom and I am pretty excited to do so!

Hi peterman25,

As you know I think highly of SleepEZ and the quality and value of their mattresses and you are certainly heading in a great direction.

You are fortunate to be local to them so you have the chance to test the different combinations in person.

Iā€™m looking forward to your comments and feedback after your visit.

Phoenix

Phoenix:

Thank you for offering the information on The Mattress Underground. It is very helpful. We visited Mattress-To-Go in Shelby Township, MI and are buying a King Koil mattress from them. Jeff Scheuer the owner is very knowledgeable and helpful. We are thankful for Jeff and how he helped us. By the way we drove an hour and a half to get to his store from our home, but the trip was worth it. We are confident that we have the best mattress for our needs for the money. Plus we received the 5% discount.

Thank you again for The Mattress Underground and connecting us with Jeff.