Don't forget to ask for your "The Mattress Underground" forum member discount/bonus

Thanks for offering such a useful resource! I was planning on just going with one of the well reviewed online sellers (such as Tufts and Needle), but after reading sleeplikethedead and this site am considering getting an all latex mattress from Brooklyn Bedding. I feel much more informed about the pros and cons of various mattress types and construction and what to look for in terms of quality for both sleep comfort and durability. Itā€™s a complex but very important choice!

Thank you to Phoenix and everyone else on this site for the great information. After way too much reading, I have determined to go with a cozypure Plus 10" with medium comfort layer. I told their customer support that I found the OMI (Organicpedic) Lago Nouveau most comfortable in my local brick and mortar store, and he walked me through my options to get a similar feel. Looking forward to trying it out.

That is awesome. Looking to purchase a new mattress after 9 years!

Hi kansashane, JolliGreenGiant, ChrisFromNY, dakinebraddah,

Welcome to all of you :slight_smile:

Iā€™m glad that all of you found us and that the site could help you.

@kansashane @JolliGreenGiant @dakinebraddah,

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what each of you end up deciding and of course any comments and questions you may have along the way.

@ChrisFromNY

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think very highly of Cozy Pure and I think you made a great choice. I hope you have the chance to share your feedback when youā€™ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Hello!
I came across your site when researching mattresses. I bought a fairly cheap foam mattress a few years ago and have been wanting to buy a better quality oneā€¦
I am looking at the SelectFoam Grandis-HD 15". While it seems expensive it looks to be decently priced at the same time. Would this be a good mattress for a couple that sleeps on his/her side? I at times sleep on my stomach or back but we both mostly sleep on our sideā€¦another issue is that I am always hot and sweat quite a bit. I also have a history of back problemsā€¦
Iā€™ve also considered the ā€˜Serenity GEL with CoolRestĀ® Adaptive Memory Foam Mattressā€™ from BedInABox, and while they have excellent reviews, I am a bit concerned about the longevity of the mattressā€¦

Do you have any thoughts/comments/recommendations?
Thanks!

Hi bulacawa,

I switched your post to a new topic of its own so it would be easier to find and your posts wouldnā€™t get mixed up with the other comments in a more generic topic.

The first place I would start your mattress research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choice.

There are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to predict whether a mattress will be the best match for someone else based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or ā€œtheory at a distanceā€ (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). When you canā€™t test a mattress in person ā€¦ then a more detailed conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced online retailer or manufacturer who can help ā€œtalk you throughā€ the options they have that would have the best chance of success based on ā€œaveragesā€ for your body type and sleeping positions is the most effective approach. They will know more about their mattresses and helping to ā€œmatchā€ their customers to different models than anyone else.

In the case of Select Foam (and some other manufacturers) ā€¦ their mattresses are designed to approximate the mattresses in the Tempurpedic lineup. The Grandis is designed to approximate the Tempurpedic GrandBed and they use the same or higher quality materials. If you have done some careful testing on the GrandBed using the testing guidelines in the tutorial post and itā€™s the best match for you out of all the Tempurpedic mattresses then the Grandis would likely make a good choice. Select foam is also a member of this site which means that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality and value.

You can read more of my thoughts about Bedinabox in post #2 here and as you can see in the guidelines here ā€¦ I wouldnā€™t suggest buying any mattress that uses more than about an inch or so of lower quality/density 3 lb memory foam when there are many better quality choices available to you.

Phoenix

Thanks for such an informative site. Iā€™ve always felt at a loss when mattress shopping and the information on here is an invaluable resource.

Hi MrGimpy,

Welcome to you as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Weā€™ve had our Fox Custom Deluxe Latex Hybrid for a couple of months now and I have to say I LOVE this mattress. Finally getting good sleep again. Oh so comfy. When I bought the mattress I also got the Leggett & Platt mattress protector but cannot use it on this bed. Tried it under the St Dormeir and on top, but no go. The only way I can think of to describe what it does is it becomes taught over the wonderfully soft latex peaks and valleys and makes it feel hard as a rock. Like the skin on a drum. That was a $90 waste of money.

Otherwise very happy with this bed. Thanks Phoenix!

B)

Hi Madrigal,

Thanks for the update ā€¦ and itā€™s good to see that your mattress is working out so well for you :slight_smile:

You arenā€™t the only one that has experienced a ā€œdrum effectā€ with some of the membrane type protectors (or even sheets in some cases) although for most people they seem to work well. Sometimes this can be from the protector fitting too tight around the mattress and sometimes it can be because the material itself isnā€™t as stretchy as some of the other ā€œmembraneā€ type protectors that are available. Which one of the Leggett & Platt protectors do you have ā€¦ and is there much stretch in the material?

Phoenix

After weeks of research on this site Iā€™ve decided to go for the Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress.

Thank you Phoenix and other members for showing me the underground world of mattress shopping!

Hi will.i.am,

Welcome ā€¦ Iā€™m glad you found us and that the site could help you :slight_smile:

You are certainly making a great quality/value choice ā€¦ and congratulations on your new mattress!

Just in case you werenā€™t aware of it ā€¦ if you order from the Dreamfoam site instead of Amazon (which would also give you a 45 day comfort trial as well) then there is also a 10% discount available (see their facebook page here).

Phoenix

Great forum with lots of resources.

I am shopping for a mattress for my kid and I am probably going to buy a latex mattress from Spindle Mattress.

Hi radovan.bauer,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

You are certainly heading in a great direction and I hope you have the chance to let us know what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Hi there,

Iā€™m leaning towards buying a latex-over-foam mattress from Arizona Premium Mattress Co. I had two questions:

1. I would rather order direct from the manufacturer and be able to use the 5% discount, but it seems that Amazon has better prices than the companyā€™s website. What would you recommend?

2. Are there any major competitors I should be looking at before I buy?

Thanks!

Hi cgriffin28,

I havenā€™t seen an Amazon listing for Arizona Premiumā€™s latex hybrid mattress. Can you post a link?

The tutorial post includes this link to a list of the online members here and many of them sell latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex in a wide range of designs, options, and prices that would all make good quality/value choices. Posts #3 and #4 here also include links to many of the better lower budget latex and latex hybrid mattresses Iā€™m aware of.

Phoenix

Phoenix - Thanks so much for all the great info on this site. I am new to the online mattress world, and have chosen to upgrade 15 yr old coil mattress to an all latex. After much research, leaning towards Brooklyn Bedding. Appreciate all your hard work!

Hi Triplett,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad the site could help you :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Ok, so after looking through the posts you suggested, here are my finalists:

1. The 10" Cotton Camilla from Brooklyn Bedding (link)
  2. This mattress from Arizona Premium with 2" of Talalay (link)
  3. Another mattress from Arizona Premium with 3" of Dunlop (link) (Iā€™ve read a bit about Dunlop vs. Talalay, but still kind of difficult to compare these two)
  4. This Ultimate Dreams mattress from Amazon (link)link
  5. The PacBed Original from Bed In A Box. Honestly I was pretty set on this one until coming to this site - I read a negative review regarding foam quality that Phoenix posted a couple years ago. Is that still the case?

I know some of these are wildly different, and much of it is subjective. But what I suppose would be less subjective would be a quality/durability comparison. Any thoughts? Without being able to try any of them out, could you help me narrow down this list? Thanks!

Hi cgriffin,

I switched your posts to a new topic so they wouldnā€™t get mixed up inside a more ā€œgeneralā€ topic.

There is more about the most important parts of the value of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between the ā€œvalueā€ of your finalists.

Assuming that you arenā€™t in a higher weight range ā€¦ all of your finalists except one would make good quality value choices (see the guidelines here).

Yes ā€¦ I would avoid any mattress with more than ā€œaround an inch or soā€ of lower quality/density materials in the comfort layers and I would be very cautious about choosing a mattress with 3 lb memory foam (see post #12 here which is probably the post you read and would still apply).

Once you are down to final choices (see post #2 here) that are between ā€œgood and goodā€ and there are no clear winners between them then the only way to choose between them would be ā€œbest judgementā€ based on your phone conversations with each of them and all the objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the prices of course and the options you have after a purchase if your choice doesnā€™t work out as well as you hoped for)

Outside of BIAB ā€¦ they are all good quality/value choices I wouldnā€™t hesitate to purchase any of them if they were a good match for the criteria that were most important to me.

Phoenix