Don't forget to ask for your "The Mattress Underground" forum member discount/bonus

After weeks of research on this site Iā€™ve decided to go for the Dreamfoam Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress.

Thank you Phoenix and other members for showing me the underground world of mattress shopping!

Hi will.i.am,

Welcome ā€¦ Iā€™m glad you found us and that the site could help you :slight_smile:

You are certainly making a great quality/value choice ā€¦ and congratulations on your new mattress!

Just in case you werenā€™t aware of it ā€¦ if you order from the Dreamfoam site instead of Amazon (which would also give you a 45 day comfort trial as well) then there is also a 10% discount available (see their facebook page here).

Phoenix

Great forum with lots of resources.

I am shopping for a mattress for my kid and I am probably going to buy a latex mattress from Spindle Mattress.

Hi radovan.bauer,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

You are certainly heading in a great direction and I hope you have the chance to let us know what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Hi there,

Iā€™m leaning towards buying a latex-over-foam mattress from Arizona Premium Mattress Co. I had two questions:

1. I would rather order direct from the manufacturer and be able to use the 5% discount, but it seems that Amazon has better prices than the companyā€™s website. What would you recommend?

2. Are there any major competitors I should be looking at before I buy?

Thanks!

Hi cgriffin28,

I havenā€™t seen an Amazon listing for Arizona Premiumā€™s latex hybrid mattress. Can you post a link?

The tutorial post includes this link to a list of the online members here and many of them sell latex and latex hybrid mattresses that use different types and blends of latex in a wide range of designs, options, and prices that would all make good quality/value choices. Posts #3 and #4 here also include links to many of the better lower budget latex and latex hybrid mattresses Iā€™m aware of.

Phoenix

Phoenix - Thanks so much for all the great info on this site. I am new to the online mattress world, and have chosen to upgrade 15 yr old coil mattress to an all latex. After much research, leaning towards Brooklyn Bedding. Appreciate all your hard work!

Hi Triplett,

Welcome ā€¦ and Iā€™m glad the site could help you :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Ok, so after looking through the posts you suggested, here are my finalists:

1. The 10" Cotton Camilla from Brooklyn Bedding (link)
  2. This mattress from Arizona Premium with 2" of Talalay (link)
  3. Another mattress from Arizona Premium with 3" of Dunlop (link) (Iā€™ve read a bit about Dunlop vs. Talalay, but still kind of difficult to compare these two)
  4. This Ultimate Dreams mattress from Amazon (link)link
  5. The PacBed Original from Bed In A Box. Honestly I was pretty set on this one until coming to this site - I read a negative review regarding foam quality that Phoenix posted a couple years ago. Is that still the case?

I know some of these are wildly different, and much of it is subjective. But what I suppose would be less subjective would be a quality/durability comparison. Any thoughts? Without being able to try any of them out, could you help me narrow down this list? Thanks!

Hi cgriffin,

I switched your posts to a new topic so they wouldnā€™t get mixed up inside a more ā€œgeneralā€ topic.

There is more about the most important parts of the value of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between the ā€œvalueā€ of your finalists.

Assuming that you arenā€™t in a higher weight range ā€¦ all of your finalists except one would make good quality value choices (see the guidelines here).

Yes ā€¦ I would avoid any mattress with more than ā€œaround an inch or soā€ of lower quality/density materials in the comfort layers and I would be very cautious about choosing a mattress with 3 lb memory foam (see post #12 here which is probably the post you read and would still apply).

Once you are down to final choices (see post #2 here) that are between ā€œgood and goodā€ and there are no clear winners between them then the only way to choose between them would be ā€œbest judgementā€ based on your phone conversations with each of them and all the objective, subjective, and intangible parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the prices of course and the options you have after a purchase if your choice doesnā€™t work out as well as you hoped for)

Outside of BIAB ā€¦ they are all good quality/value choices I wouldnā€™t hesitate to purchase any of them if they were a good match for the criteria that were most important to me.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thank you for all your help so far. Iā€™m looking at two seemingly very similar options from ultimate dreams, and the only difference that I can see is between the density of the support foam.

Option 1: Amazon.com
Option 2: Amazon.com

So option 2 is $150 more (in a King size). Is 2lb support foam really worth $150 more than 1.5lb? Will there be a significant difference in durability? Thanks

Hi cgriffin28,

The four main differences between them would be ā€¦

1. The Ultimate Dreams Latex Mattress uses blended Talalay in the comfort layers while the Ultimate Dreams Natural uses natural Dunlop in the comfort layer. There is more about the ā€œfeelā€ of Talalay and Dunlop in post #7 here but the choice between Talalay and Dunlop would be a preference choice. For most people ā€¦ this would probably be the most important difference between them because it would be the one you would ā€œfeelā€ the most.

2. The Ultimate Dreams Natural includes polyfoam and wool in the quilting which adds to the cost of the cover while the Ultimate Dreams Latex mattress doesnā€™t include any wool in the quilting. Wool can help with temperature regulation (see post #6 here about wool quilting).

3. The Ultimate Dreams Natural uses 2 lb polyfoam for the support layer while the Ultimate Dreams Latex uses 1.5 lb polyfoam. While this wouldnā€™t make much difference for most people in more average weight ranges because the weakest link in a mattress is generally in the upper layers of the mattress (and both natural Dunlop and blended Talalay are very durable materials) ā€¦ if you are in a higher weight range (in the range of the low 200ā€™s or higher) where you are more likely to compress the deeper layers through the top comfort layers then it can make some difference in terms of durability.

4. The Ultimate Dreams Natural has an exchangeable comfort layer so if you do choose a comfort layer that is too soft or firm you can just exchange the layer for a small charge. The Ultimate Dreams latex is a ā€œfinished mattressā€ where you can choose the firmness level that you prefer before a purchase but it canā€™t be changed afterwards.

In most cases ā€¦ all the mattresses that are made by the same manufacturer would have a similar ā€œraw materialā€ or ā€œcommodityā€ value where the prices would reflect the cost of the materials and manufacturing (although higher priced mattresses can have a slightly higher margin) but there is more about the most important parts of the value of a mattress purchase in post #13 here and when you are making a final choice between them then one may have better value than the other for you based on the criteria that are most important to you.

I would also keep in mind that if you order from the Dreamfoam site instead of Amazon then they have a 45 day trial period and there is currently a 10% discount available (see their facebook page here).

Phoenix

Thank you so much for all the info on this site! Itā€™s really unbelievable! Iā€™m very close to making my purchase of a new latex mattress and getting my discount via this site!

Hi amonty,

Welcome ā€¦ and thanks for the kind words!

Iā€™m glad you found us as well and Iā€™m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Waiting to receive my Dreamfoam mattress, pretty excited!

Hi sputnikrent,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Which mattress did you buy?

Whichever one it was I hope you have the chance to share your feedback after youā€™ve received it.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, Thank you so much for this site and the wealth of information that it provides. Your knowledge and approach to the information you provide to your members are valuable in so many ways. Also to the many members that you have and their input is also awesome.

Iā€™ve narrowed down my search, but I do have some questions which I will ask the general section.

Appreciate the fine work youā€™re doing with this website.

AZ

Thanks for providing a resource for honest and thorough reviews during our search for a new sleeping arrangement. Weā€™ve settled on a Tuft & Needle 10 on top of an Amazon purchased foundation box. Once weā€™ve got assembly finished and had (hopefully) several good nights of sleep, Iā€™ll add my personal experience with T&N and the quality of my Amazon foundation box. Thanks again!

Hi actionzen and ksudvm,

Welcome to both of you :slight_smile:

@ksudvm,

You certainly made a good quality/value choice if you prefer the feel of a firmer polyfoam mattress ā€¦ and Iā€™m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hello,
Iā€™ve been lurking here a while gleaning and learning.
We are going to purchase a Tuft and Needle 10in King. So excited to get some real support and we will let you know what we think!
Thanks for all the information and advice!