Don't forget to ask for your "The Mattress Underground" forum member discount/bonus

Thanks for clarification.

Phoenix,

Thank you for the incredible site that you have put together. I have been researching mattresses on and off for a while now. I was trying to get more info on a certain mattress offered by Costco when I came across a discussion on the Ultimate Dreams. I then spent more than a few hours reading and absorbing the material on this site. I can’t imagine the amount of time you take out of the day to answer everyone’s email with such details. I have placed an order for the UD but will continue to keep an eye out on this forum.

Thanks again,
lovecoffee

Hi lovecoffee,

Thanks for the kind words, it’s always great to hear that the site is helping people.

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I hope you have a chance to give us your feedback when you’ve had a chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix

Phoenix - We recieved our new SleepEZ 10000 mattress on Saturday with the configuration below.

Left Side(Mine) - Xtra Firm, Firm, Medium
Right Side (Wife) - Firm, Medium, Soft

While we’ve only had it for a couple of days, we notice a huge improvement over our previous 3 year old spring bed in comfort and support. I was a bit surprised how springy the feel of the latex bed is. It definitely conforms, but is no where close to a foam mattress where you “sink”, which turns out to be a good thing.

Im still not 100% sold on the Left side’s firmness layers. I find it to be more rigid than I (think?) like. However, since I have 90 days to swap layers, I’ll give this configuration a bit more time. I may simply swap the top layer for their “soft” layer.

So far Im impressed. I’ll provide more feedback in about a week.

Thanks again for all the good information this site provides. I have never thought or spoken about mattresses so much as I have in the last few weeks.

Thank you for creating this site (are you the same Phoenix from the other site?). It definitely helps as a good reference point for recommendations. I will be reading all the information I can before making a decision. Currently live in NJ, but Sleepys has taken over in the area (don’t have a car, so it would be easier for me to go to NYC than some of the showrooms in NJ from the lists that I have found).

Hi 77Pat,

If you mean Whatsthebest-mattress where I posted before i started this site … then yes I am the same “Phoenix” :slight_smile:

Sleepy’s has “taken over” many areas and they are the largest chain in the country (although Mattress Firm is rapidly catching up to their sales).

You’ve probably seen this but if you haven’t … the New York City list is in post #2 here and there is also a more “categorized” list with more detailed descriptions of many of them in post #7 here.

Good luck in your search and if you have any questions along the way feel free to post.

Phoenix

Hi Pheonix,

I am newly registered to this site (about 3 min now!) but have been reading the posts for a couple of weeks as we make a decision on which latex mattress and retailer to go with. We were deciding between a PLB mattress from Bed Pros - one of only two local stores that carry PLB and where we can go in and try them out.
The other latex mattress we are looking at is the Ultimate Dream on Amazon thanks to your posts and thanks to a very very helpful and informative conversation with Chuck on the phone who had returned my call within minutes after leaving a message. We are still kind of torn between the two choices (Ultimate Dream or PLB) and its boiling down to the fact my husband is very reluctant to order on-line (despite all of the encouraging and positive reviews) when he can lay down on the PLB mattress down the street and KNOW what it feels like. Also, Bed Pros is offering a manufacturer rebate on PLB this week - actually it expires today and I have to make up our minds quick!! The rebate would save us about $300 on the Nature model (our choice from the PLB lineup). That savings was enough to tip my husband into not even considering the Ultimate Dream mattress anymore as it narrowed the “price gap” between the two, but I am still swayed by the still substantial savings if we went with Ultimate Dream. I should note, the fact that the UD mattress uses the HD polyfoam core and the PLB uses the high ILD latex core, really does not matter too much in our decision criteria as I think we are both confident from the reviews and information on this site and Amazon that either option is a good choice for us as it is mainly the comfort layer that is most important to us. I also feel very confident after talking with Chuck from UD that we could find a comfort layer similiar to the Nature (he recommended a level 7). The hesitation has to be do with the “scare factor” of ordering on-line. I should also note, that neither of us really liked the exchangeable top layer option offered by Ultimate Dreams. We thought the feel would be different having the two layers zipped together vs the other one where all the layers are enclosed together.
ANYWAY, I just found this thread about the discount some retailers are offering to members of your site. Do you know if Bed Pros (or Famous Tates) in the Tampa, FL area are offering this 5% discount? or is this a discount offered through Latex International? Thank you! The additional 5% savings, on top of the rebates, may be enough to sway me to my husband’s side and purchasing the PLB Nature mattress tonight!!!
p.s. I apologize if this message posted twice. I wasn’t sure it “took” the first time I submittedd it. Thanks again.

Hi candcsmom,

IMO the exchangeable layer is a “value bonus” and the zip top that allows for the exchange won’t make a significant or noticeable difference in the feel of the comfort layer. It does reduce the risk but of course the tradeoff is that the price is higher.

Only the manufaturers and retailers that are members of the site listed here offer the bonus/discount to forum members and this is part of the agreement when they are invited and agree to become members here. Most of the manufacturers and retailers that I list in various threads are not members because I list better value or at least the possibility of better value wherever I find it regardless of their membership here.

I also understand the difficulty of an online choice compared to a local choice and the extra risk vs any better quality and value is part of the tradeoff that each person needs to decide on for themselves. Each person has a different “risk tolerance”. If the local value is “similar” based on the factors that each person considers most important … then of course I would go local but if the “local premium” is too high then an online purchase can make a lot of sense. The better online manufacturers and retailers are very good at using “averages” based on body type and sleeping position in combination with your own local testing and preferences to make good recommendations. This and things like exchangeable layers can lower the risk of an online purchase but of course it doesn’t eliminate it.

The Pure latex bliss is certainly “better than average” value and I would choose this over most of the mainstream mattresses made by major manufacturers or sold at many chain stores. They are also not the “best in the country” type of value though that are available through many smaller manufacturers … including some who sell online … so the choice can be difficult. At least you are choosing between good and good which in itself is far ahead of the types of options that most consumers end up with when they make their final choices :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thank you, Phoenix, for the response! I just wanted to give you a quick update. We ended up purchasing the PLB Beautiful from the local retailer who was able to give us the best price plus extras. After a few rounds of negotiating (I thought we were buying a mattress not a used car!) we took them up on their price match guarantee over the lowest price we found in our area which was a 53% savings… $2499 for the king size set which included the bases, free delivery, no tax, and he threw in the recommended mattress protector and a couple of latex pillows! It was still about twice as much as the Ultimate Dreams online mattress with the exchangeable layer option, but by the time you add in the cost of the bases, mattress protector and pillows, we only really paid about $500 more. This local retailer, Famous Tate, also had such a great comfort exhange policy (90 days and if you exchange for a lower price mattress you get the difference as a refund not a store credit like most places). The salesman was so nice and knowledgeable and and not pushy at all. He answered or researched all of our questions and really went out of the way to work with us on price. Plus I love their policy on all of their foam mattress… they will sell it to you tax free with a doctor or chiropractor’s note stating that you need to sleep on a pressure relieving mattress. I feel really good about the purchase, and now I just can’t wait for it to be delivered next week! Maybe I’ll post again after we try it out. We also decided that when the need arises, we are going to replace the guest room mattress with an Ultimate Dream. AND if we like it, will go ahead and replace the kids’ mattresses in twin sizes with latex from UD. I do, agree, its probably still the best value, but I guess, ultimately, the on-line ordering risk factor was too high for us for our master bedroom bed, but will give it a try for a “less risky” room! Thanks again for maintaining such a helpful and informative site!

Hi candcsmom,

It sounds to me like you did really well and you ended up with a “beautiful” mattress at a great price. I’m impressed!

Thanks for your feedback and it would be great if you could give us a report when you’ve had a chance to sleep on it for a while.

Phoenix

Great site… I’ve already learned a lot. Starting to shop for an adjustable bed (likely memory foam) in St. Louis MO.

Hi Chris M,

Thanks for the kind words :slight_smile:

You may have already seen this but in case you haven’t … some of the better options in the St Louis area are in post #6 here.

Phoenix

Thanks to the great info on this site, we’ll probably be ordering an Ultimate Dreams mattress in the near future. Really good stuff here.

Glad I found this place. Just started looking in Los Angeles and found this post. Thanks for all the hard work!

Hi prylex,

I’m glad you found us as well :slight_smile:

There was an extra http:// in your link so I edited it to make it work so that others that read your post in the LA area can link to the same list.

Good luck … and feel free to post with any questions along the way.

Phoenix

Wanted to follow up on what I eventually did.

Purchased from sleepez.com and talked to the owner. Very friendly and knowledgable. Purchased the 8 in. special with two 3" Layers of 100% natural “Dunlop” latex + one 2" Layer of 100% natural “Talalay” latex encased in 4 way zipper cotton cover plus 2 free pillows for $1245. Great deal! We just got the standard firmness setup and it works great for my wife and I.

The only “surprise” was that it came in 2 big boxes and we had to put it together ourselves. It’s tougher than you think since the latex is surprisingly heavy and we had to stack them correctly on our bed and then zip it up, which is a very tight squeeze! So, I never thought I would be putting a mattress together, but I did, and would do it again. Not as difficult as some Ikea furniture:)

Definitely recommend these guys, not local, but who cares. With a great guarantee, good service and great prices and product, no wonder these guys have been in business so long and do so well. Thanks for the website and help in choosing this mattress.

Edward

Hi FavoriteHOMEboy,

It can sometimes be a bit of a challenge to put a latex mattress together (because as you mentioned latex is heavy) but once you get the hang of “waving” the layers into position it goes fairly easily. It’s also great to know that you can exchange layers if it ever becomes necessary down the road instead of buying a whole new mattress and a DIY mattress is a small “price to pay” for the kind of quality and value that SleepEz offers.

Thanks for the feedback

Phoenix

Thanks for all the information you have collected and shared here. It has been a great help in the research towards a new mattress!

As the person said before me, thank you so much for the abundant information! I didn’t know much about mattresses before coming to the site but now I feel much more confortable. After going to a Sleepy’s to test out some mattresses I found out I prefer plush mattresses. I enjoyed the Carolina Mattress Guild plush there but it was over my budget. Then, from research on Amazon and help from this site I found the Ultimate Dreams mattress. I think I’m going to go for it and purchase that online even though part of me still thinks it is risky since I haven’t tested it. But if so many people out there enjoy it so much and didn’t get a chance to test it out too I am very confident I will enjoy it. Thanks again :slight_smile:

Hi dimps5790,

Thanks for the kind words.

While the CMG at sleepys are probably some of the better value there … they don’t provide any meaningful information about the mattresses and neither of them are latex so they wouldn’t really be an effective guideline except perhaps as an indicator of a general preference for softer over firmer in the comfort layers.

If you want to test some latex before ordering which may be a slightly more effective guideline for an online order and help you “match” the comfort layer that you would prefer (or even to get a sense of the “feel” of latex) … I’d be happy to point you in the direction of any possibilities in your area I’m aware of if you let me know your city or zip.

Phoenix