Don't forget to ask for your "The Mattress Underground" forum member discount/bonus

Sure that would be great! Anywhere around the 19127 (philadelphia) or 18940 areas would be ideal.

Hi dimps5790,

Post #4 here includes some latex options around the Wilmington, Philadelphia, Trenton area that should give you a better idea of the feel of latex and some different latex firmness levels. I would make a few phone calls first just to make sure that they will provide you with ILD or layering information (ILD is a ā€œcomfortā€ spec and many outlets may not supply them because they are not connected to quality and the ā€œcomfortā€ of a mattress can be felt in a showroom so ILD is not so important in local testing).

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Phoenix, thanks for providing such a great resource. I plan to call SelectFoam later this week to talk about their comparable TempurPedic matresses.

Hi NAMa,

Youā€™re very welcome ā€¦ Iā€™m happy when people find it and make use of it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

5% discount for getting educated on mattresses on your excellent siteā€¦great deal!

Great site. Iā€™m looking at the Ultimate Dreams mattress. It seems to be a great value.

If I were to order an Ultimate Dreams mattress through Amazon, would I still be eligible for membership benefits from this forum? Would I just add information about my membership here to the comments section of the order? Has anyone else had experience with this?

Thanks,
Brian

Hi Brian,

I placed my order Monday around noon and I was contacted by Chuck about an hour later to go over the firmness level I wanted. I told him my preference and also mentioned that I was a member of this site. He said that he would be sending me a free latex pillow with my order.

I received an email from them this morning (Tuesday) telling me that my order had been shipped. Now thatā€™s great service!

Ron

Hi boeseschwarzefee,

EDIT: They have now started to use promo codes for the forum discount so make sure you either call, email, or use their chat to provide them with your member name here BEFORE you order so you can get the code and the discount/bonus.

@rstand,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Phoenix,

Thanks for labor of love in assembling this information! It has helped me tons and we will peruse the recommendations from your site.

Mike

Thank you Phoenix for the vast knowledge and incredibly valuable information provided in your articles and members forum. It has allowed me to make a final decision on an Ultimate Dreams Natural Dunlap Cal King mattress. I just clicked my order online, and this time feel quite confident that I found the best value for my buck! I cannot wait to hear from Chuck and apply my new understanding of ILD numbers to good use :slight_smile:
I will be sure to post my experience and reviewing notes on this forum, so that others like me will also benefit!
On a side note, for a 180 lbs and 130 lbs mostly back and side sleepers who like their mattress on the firm side (lordosis, arthritis, etc) but with a feeling of softness and comfort on top, I am thinking of the medium firm 4 or 5ā€¦

Hi sanantoniomike,

Thanks for the kind words :slight_smile:

Hi Louie,

Thanks for your comments as well and congratulations on your new mattress :).

Iā€™m looking forward to your report and hearing about what you chose after your conversation with Chuck.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix,

Chuck and I have exchanged info back and forth. I can tell that he is careful about not pushing my decision one way or the other regarding the level of firmness, rather he listens well to my questions and bases his answers on his experience with his product. Such level of service is to be commended!

I am still debating between the 4 and 5 levels. My only experience with a latex mattress was during a visit with family, when I spent 3 nights on a electopedics all-natural latex mattress. I was told it was a Hi Profile Firm, but it felt just right, with great support without being hard. On the contrary, the top was so comfy I overslept each and every day :stuck_out_tongue: Of course, no one knows its ILDs!

So I am now trying to duplicate this level of firmness with my Ultimate Dreams Natural Dunlop. Again, I have no ILDā€™s to work with, since Brooklyn Bedding uses a 1 to 10 scale. Firmer - as in a 4 or 5- seems better to me, since the top 1.5 inch will be a soft reflex foam.

Over the years, weā€™ve had firm mattresses to help with bad posture, and kept them 15 years on average. We like firm support, and donā€™t like a sinking down or worse, bottoming out feeling. We tried a tempurpedic and hated how we felt so heavy and stuck into itā€¦

At the same time, we now appreciate a ā€œbeing on a cloudā€ sensation when getting into bed. The most important of course is still good posture, no pain and feeling rested in the morning.

So I am thinking maybe a 4, hoping I am close to the Hi Profile Electopedic firmness, and because I cannot be sure a 5 wonā€™t be too soft in the end. I welcome any suggestion!

Thanks again!

Hi Louie,

You can see the specs of the various Electropedic models here.

Unfortunately ā€¦ these two mattresses are very different because they use different layers, different layer thicknesses, and different materials so it would be very difficult to ā€œtranslateā€ one into the other even if all the specs were known. For example all the ā€œfirmā€ models of the Electropedic use 24 ILD in the comfort layers but because they are all thinner (1.1") ā€¦ you would feel much more of the firmer layers below them than you would with the Ultimate Dreams which has about 4.5" in the comfort layer (3" of latex and the quilted foam). How much you feel the firmness of the lower layers would depend on the individual and their body type and sleeping positions.

I believe the ILD of the level 4 is 32 and the in between choices (odd numbers) are done with variations in the quilting pattern rather than the latex. The extra quilting layer will create extra softness so these would not be comparable with a latex layer of the same ILD and thickness without the quilting foam.

If you are uncertain ā€¦ erring on the side of firmness leaves more room to add a topper to make some fine tuning adjustments after you have slept on the mattress. A forum search on Ultimate Dreams level ILD (you can just click this) will bring up many comments from forum members about their firmness choices which may prove helpful.

Phoenix

Thanks for your prompt reply:)

Erring on the side of too much firmness is a wise suggestion. It actually matches Chuckā€™s response to my 4 versus 5 inquiry. I will spend some time reading about other customers ILD choices and hopefully will be able to give Chuck the go-ahead today!

Hope you have a great day!:slight_smile:

Pheonixā€”thanks for providing all of this information. I almost bought a Sealy Optimum bed, but found this site, and Iā€™ve decided to give the folks at Quality Sleep Shop near Chicago a chance. I would have never known about them unless it was this site. Thanks!

Hi brysiewi26,

Thanks for the kind words ā€¦ and I think you are heading in a great direction :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to any feedback you may have.

Phoenix

Hi there! After several days of researching mattresses, I came upon your website. What a relief to read unbiased information that is truly helpful. Iā€™m leaning toward a mattress from Ultimate Dreams. I will continue my reseach, but this may be it! I have CMT, a neuromuscular disease that affects my legs, and I seem to move a lot in my sleep. I need a mattress that doesnā€™t transfer my movement to my boyfriend. Also, and this is the decision that is really haunting me ā€¦ I prefer the size of a queen bed in my room (which isnā€™t terribly huge), but the king I currently have seems better for us. Iā€™m wondering if others whoā€™ve had a king and then went to a queen have any regrets?

Thanks for your hard work at keeping us all informed!

Hi dianec,

I think that in these types of things that each person or couple can be so individual that itā€™s probably better to go by your own instincts than other peopleā€™s opinions.

My DH for example is a more restless sleeper at times (moving legs especially) and sometimes can get hot or needs ā€œspaceā€ for various reasons so she would much prefer a king size, but for her the size of the bedroom is the most important factor and she would much prefer a queen if the rest of the bedroom would be too crowded and take away from the feeling or ā€œambienceā€ of the bedroom environment itself which for her is a big factor in how she feels in the room. In other words ā€¦ ā€œspaceā€ in the bedroom is just as or even more important than ā€œspaceā€ on the mattress itself. While it wouldnā€™t be ideal (getting a larger bedroom would solve both problems) it would be her preference if the bedroom was smaller and she wouldnā€™t (and doesnā€™t) regret having to make the choice for a smaller bedroom.

I on the other hand tend towards being a very still sleeper and I can easily sleep on the outer 1/3 of the mattress which can give her space when she needs it although I prefer the more ā€œcozyā€ feeling of being closer when all else is equal (and so does she).

So overall I think that while a queen is not her first preference ā€¦ there are other things that are just as if not more important to her and the ā€œbestā€ choice would depend on other factors that are even more important besides just the extra room on a king size mattress.

Phoenix

Thanks for everything youā€™re doing here Phoenix.

My wife and I are in the market for a new mattress and making educated decisions is proving to be a difficult task. Iā€™ve been reading the Forums for a couple days now, and just decided to join. Iā€™m confident the information on this site will be of great use as we narrow the field.

Thanks again,

Craig